Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2016, 08:58   #226
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,145
Thanked: 7,913 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
I have narrowed down to the A-star now and looking at two offers. Both are 2012, 2nd owner. One is run about 25K and the other 16K.

Typically most AT hatches would have been acquired for city roundabouts. Hence its highly probable that the distances put on the odo would be quite low. That I think should not be a problem, as long as its serviced correctly (Just as Rajeev mentioned).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 10:21   #227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think you should be able to pull service history from any authorized service center. Sitting idle is fine as long as it had been serviced at correct intervals. Some people say it has not run much, hence not serviced as per schedule. Which is wrong. If you are not comfortable after your inspection, maybe you can check if you can take it to a service center and get a full report. Not sure if Maruti does such reports. Some bigger manufacturers do it. You can also maybe ping the Bhpians who purchased recently and check for any AStar specific things to check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Typically most AT hatches would have been acquired for city roundabouts.
Yesterday I test drove the vehicle and I was quite happy with it. The engine, transmission, suspension and the tires all seem fine. Only the interiors looked a bit run down in comparison to the odo reading. Also this owner had acquired the car from True Value and interestingly the delivery details sheet from True Value (1 years 3 months back) did not have the odometer field filled out. The owner also had not carried the service record with him though I had insisted for it. This prompted me to visit a nearby MASS and check out the service history. The manager there was helpful and pulled up the records for us. It turns out the odo was fine and True Value had sold the vehicle at around 15K. The owner had claimed the car was purchased for his wife who never drove it so he used to take it for a spin only when he was in the country for the holidays. This checked out true after looking at the service record - this owner had driven a total of about 2K in their 1.3 years of ownership.

The only small concern that still remains is that this owner has never gotten a paid service done since True Value gave him 3 free services as part of the purchase and he has availed only these. Despite this I have decided to go ahead with the purchase since the condition of the vehicle is good. I also called up his insurer (Bajaj Allianz) who confirmed no claim had ever been done by this owner. We'll be completing the transaction next week.

Thank you @Rajeevraj and others who chipped in to help!
sanspatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 12:56   #228
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Hi @Rajeevraj and other gurus,
I too am looking for an automatic hatchback. My requirements, It should not be very large. (so not considering polo, jazz, baleno etc) and safety/build quality. ( so not considering, alto, wagonr, grand i10 etc). I have short listed Ford Figo 1.5 Titanium AT, Honda Brio VX AT, Nissan Micra XV CVT and Maruti Celerio ZXI AT(O). I would appreciate if you could share your views on the above 4. Which one do you think is the best
adithya.kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 20:24   #229
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,119
Thanked: 7,227 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Hi @Rajeevraj and other gurus,
I too am looking for an automatic hatchback. My requirements, It should not be very large. (so not considering polo, jazz, baleno etc) and safety/build quality. ( so not considering, alto, wagonr, grand i10 etc). I have short listed Ford Figo 1.5 Titanium AT, Honda Brio VX AT, Nissan Micra XV CVT and Maruti Celerio ZXI AT(O). I would appreciate if you could share your views on the above 4. Which one do you think is the best
Among the 4 personal pick would be the Figo. Bigger engine, Dual Clutch gearbox, good feature set, good price (I think there are offers running too).

The Brio, although a peppy car is pretty dated now and sells poorly. In addition with the Amaze also getting the CVT from the Jazz and City, Brio is the only one left with the traditional 5 speed TC based AT and in the long run, not sure how the support will play out.

Micra again is a good city run about, but has been around for some time and the CVT is no match for the Dual Clutch on the Ford. Nissan as a company is also struggling to sell.

The Celerio is an AMT. If you have the budget for a proper AT, no point going for an AMT.

Personal experience in buying a Figo DCT (for my friend) did not go well and he switched to the GT TSI after 1-2 months of back and forth with Ford- Starting with Elite Ford and then with Metro Ford. So that is something to be aware off.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th March 2016 at 20:26.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 22:09   #230
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Thanks a lot Rajeevraj. That is very useful. I had already zeroed in on metro ford. Because I presumed they were good. ( If I am not wrong, it belongs to the the same group as VW Palace cross which is right next to it. I had a good experience with vw palace cross). Do you mind elaborating that?. ( or PM me). If its about delay in promised delivery, then please ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Among the 4 personal pick would be the Figo. Bigger engine, Dual Clutch gearbox, good feature set, good price (I think there are offers running too).

The Brio, although a peppy car is pretty dated now and sells poorly. In addition with the Amaze also getting the CVT from the Jazz and City, Brio is the only one left with the traditional 5 speed TC based AT and in the long run, not sure how the support will play out.

Micra again is a good city run about, but has been around for some time and the CVT is no match for the Dual Clutch on the Ford. Nissan as a company is also struggling to sell.

The Celerio is an AMT. If you have the budget for a proper AT, no point going for an AMT.

Personal experience in buying a Figo DCT (for my friend) did not go well and he switched to the GT TSI after 1-2 months of back and forth with Ford- Starting with Elite Ford and then with Metro Ford. So that is something to be aware off.
adithya.kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 22:16   #231
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,119
Thanked: 7,227 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Thanks a lot Rajeevraj. That is very useful. I had already zeroed in on metro ford. Because I presumed they were good. ( If I am not wrong, it belongs to the the same group as VW Palace cross which is right next to it. I had a good experience with vw palace cross). Do you mind elaborating that?. ( or PM me). If its about delay in promised delivery, then please ignore it.
Yes, it was with regard to delayed delivery and missing deadlines. Experience detailed in this post/thread (Elite Ford (Bangalore) refuses booking without buyer guarantee of in-house insurance)

Metro was in any case better than Elite and were quite responsive also.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:10   #232
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,920
Thanked: 3,473 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

One issue is that almost all lower priced Petrol hatches are 1200cc (lower excise). I will love to see some Auto Hatches with 1400-1600 engines, or maybe with 1200 or less cc but blown..
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:20   #233
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,145
Thanked: 7,913 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Metro was in any case better than Elite and were quite responsive also.
Yes Metro and Cauvery have been the oldest Ford guys in Bangalore. My experiences with Metro has been decent both with sales and service. Nothing out of the world, but decent and responsive (Had my Fusion serviced with them. And this was even before Figo came to existence).

With regards to Figo AT, yes one needs to be patient. I think the real reason may be the short supply of Auto box. They may not stock it, but get against build up of orders. One needs to plan for at least 2-3 months at worst.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 18:01   #234
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 533
Thanked: 519 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One issue is that almost all lower priced Petrol hatches are 1200cc (lower excise). I will love to see some Auto Hatches with 1400-1600 engines, or maybe with 1200 or less cc but blown..
The Polo Tsi is the only choice a 1200cc blown engine.
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 06:28   #235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

I have owned a 1.2 i10 AT Asta for over 4 years and generally happy except for the FE. Conventional options such as i10 come with torque converter that gives 9-13kmpl.

I think Jazz would be a great option! My 1.5 Ivtec is doing far better in this aspect (11-16kmpl) and a fun to drive experience.

A TC sounds way too conventional. I would recommend you to go for a CVT. You may even consider an AMT!

Check out Rajeevraj's thread on AT under 10Lacs for detailed comparisons.


AT threads by rajeevraj

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/167755-automatics-under-10-lakh-otr-comprehensive-guide-now-baleno-ertiga.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/168164-automatics-between-10-17-lakh-otr-comprehensive-guide.html

Last edited by TMRT : 5th April 2016 at 06:32.
TMRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 15:58   #236
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 2,505 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
A TC sounds way too conventional. I would recommend you to go for a CVT. You may even consider an AMT!
Low-cost AMTs offered in hatchbacks are in no way better than the conventional torque converters out there
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 08:54   #237
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 158
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Low-cost AMTs offered in hatchbacks are in no way better than the conventional torque converters out there
By"better" I mean in terms of fuel economy. TC's offer lower FE than AMT!
TMRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 14:55   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,492
Thanked: 661 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

I took a TD of the Celerio and the Alto AMT. This was for my parents use, who are looking at a convenient AT hatch with safety features.
As has often been said , I found the implementation of AMT to be good in some areas (cost!) , while it takes a beating in driveability. The Celerio I TD'd in particular, juddered quite a lot in stop-and-go traffic , like MT cars do when we hold the clutch just at the bite point (half-clutch). Is this normal behaviour for AMTs ? The specimen I drove had 37k KMs on the clock.
My parents rejected the Marutis rather immediately , due to their extremely barebones (VXi) variants on display and the overall flimsy feel.
Next on the list were the Hondas. Liked the overall look and feel , but Brio is unable to make a case for itself at almost 7.9L rupees on road Pune with dealer pushed extras. Nor can the Jazz , touching almost 10L On road for the V-AT, though we have parked it in our minds thanks to the overall plush feel.
Have not checked out the Baleno yet due to reports of unreasonable waiting periods and resulting dealer high handedness.
Why on earth can Maruti not offer a proper (Not AMT) Swift AT ? That would make it so much easier for people me to choose.
Reluctantly , I am looking at the DZire VXi(O) AT , but dealers are actively discouraging saying that "O" variants are not in production at all.
My search for a reasonably safe AT hatch continues.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 15:01   #239
BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: BLR, KA, IND
Posts: 779
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
My search for a reasonably safe AT hatch continues.
Maruti's AMTs are reasonably good (in the small cars) for what you pay.

I'm surprised you haven't considered the Figo and Grand i10.

They are good hatchbacks, Figo is the more performance oriented one. The Gi10 OTOH, focuses on comfort and features. I think Hyundai recently added a passenger airbag to the AT variant.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 16:16   #240
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,492
Thanked: 661 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'm surprised you haven't considered the Figo and Grand i10.

They are good hatchbacks, Figo is the more performance oriented one. The Gi10 OTOH, focuses on comfort and features. I think Hyundai recently added a passenger airbag to the AT variant.
I dont see Asta(o) being listed for Hyundai Grandi10 AT , even on Hyundai's own price list. I will call someone and confirm.

Name:  i10Pricelist.JPG
Views: 696
Size:  58.3 KB

Figo has not (yet) being considered, because my parents are fixated on the two Jap brands only. We plan to keep this hatch for a really long time (>10 years).
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic transmission - sedan or hatchback under 10L Tron Sedans 17 2nd June 2016 11:32
Mercedes Benz 300D (W123 series): Manual Transmission to Automatic Transmission. wartikars Post-War 5 3rd January 2014 12:39
Wheelspin in an Automatic Transmission (A/T) Dippy Technical Stuff 24 6th December 2010 22:19
Need help to choose an Automatic Transmission hatchback chittybang Hatchbacks 17 28th April 2008 10:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks