Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 30th April 2016, 19:36   #256
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

(That would peg it at around 8 lacs OTR or just over it in most places)

If we are stretching our budgets for that, better to put in 60,000 rupees more and get the Baleno Zeta CVT - bigger car, larger in-cabin space, plenty of gizmos to play with, peppy engine, convenience and better FE of a CVT (as against a 4-speed TC), etc.
Have a different take on that. If 8L+ for OTR for the top end AT, as you say even I would pay a bit more a get a different one. But not the Baleno but the Figo.

1.5 110Bhp, DCT Titanium version, any day compared to the CVT.

But yes one needs to be a bit patient to follow it up to get one.

Last edited by ampere : 30th April 2016 at 19:40.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 17:51   #257
BHPian

I am looking at buying a used automatic hatch back for my wife. We already have a SUV and a sedan in the house, so not looking at compact sedans. Will be used in the city (pune) only. I have been through the complete thread. For some reason or the other my wife is not keen on an AMT. That leave me with the following options.

1. Hyundai i10
2. Honda Brio
3. Nissam Micra CVT
4. Ford Figo (out as both my cars are from the ford)
5. Recommendations if Any?

A lot of used i10's are available in the market. Price range 3lac to 4lac for 2010 - 2011 models. I find the price to high fora 5 yr old car. Is it worth the price?

Nissan Micra & Brio ( Rare ) Hardly any automatics for sale. A lot of Nissan micra available in the manual versions. I hoped to find a micra for sale at a good price (i am been forced to think that resale value of a Nissan is good)

Mahindra first choice doesn't have any certified used automatic hatch back listed.
Recommend where i should be searching if i required a certified car?

A few cars available on OLX . How do i go about verifying the condition of the car ? Check for issues? etc.

Thank you for your advise.
architkarpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 18:08   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
I am looking at buying a used automatic hatch back for my wife. We already have a SUV and a sedan in the house, so not looking at compact sedans. Will be used in the city (pune) only. I have been through the complete thread. For some reason or the other my wife is not keen on an AMT. That leave me with the following options.

1. Hyundai i10
2. Honda Brio
3. Nissam Micra CVT
Considering you already own an SUV and a Sedan, if we were to consider purely ease of driving in the city, I would recommend the Micra CVT. One of the easiest cars to drive and live with IMO. It is decently well built and offers good levels of kit as well.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 18:34   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

I would differ and say buy anything but the Micra. The car might be good, but the after sales is horrible and chaotic. Moreover as a company also I do not know where they are headed with dismal sales and practically not even a single model which is selling from their whole portfolio.

My wife drives an i10 AT and it is quite a fuss free car. The AT box is definitely lethargic but is liveable. Hyundai after sales has been pretty decent and as per your research, I am guessing the resale vale is also decent enough.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 18:37   #260
BHPian

I was pleasantly surprised to see how i10 ATs hold their value.. I was getting offers for little over 2 lakhs for our 8 yr old i10 Magna AT.

We have replaced it with a Jazz , mainly because we needed the space. Nissan was not considered because we are not sure of Nissan's overall India plans.
PraveenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 18:50   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. Hyundai i10
2. Honda Brio
3. Nissam Micra CVT
Thank you for your advise.
Look for the AStar AT also. Would be perfect for your needs. Several members have recently bought preowned AStar AT's. There are reports also available here.

The Ford Figo comes with an AT only from the latest version that came out last year. The previous generation did not have an AT.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 18:52   #262
Team-BHP Support

In the space, one will find a lot of I10s. Check with Grand I10 AT also. I think there are base models with airbags now on offer. Same with Baleno. But yes in the used car space its mostly i10 these days.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 19:02   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I would differ and say buy anything but the Micra. The car might be good, but the after sales is horrible and chaotic. Moreover as a company also I do not know where they are headed with dismal sales and practically not even a single model which is selling from their whole portfolio.
True they do not have exceptional A.S.S. and I understand that few people have had terrible experiences as well. Their cars are fairly reliable being Japanese afterall. All it takes is a well educated enthusiast, to ensure his car is taken care of by the right people. Renault-Nissan has proven to be a strong alliance and both companies show no signs of a dismal future regardless of how their products currently do in the market establishing a seperate brand like Datsun, launching new products, all of that. I have many friends both in the North and in the South who are extremely satisfied with their Micras, X-trails and one Teana.

Quote:
My wife drives an i10 AT and it is quite a fuss free car. The AT box is definitely lethargic but is liveable. Hyundai after sales has been pretty decent and as per your research, I am guessing the resale vale is also decent enough.
The i10 is a great car but the dead steering which leaves many nervous during emergency maneuvers, and the pathetic structural rigidity, can prove to be disastrous. Even within City speeds and limits. Moreover I know of a couple of people who have literally sold off their Grand i10 and one who is thinking of selling his XCent, purely because of how excruciatingly boring they find the cars. I was myself surprised to find this out, but neither of these people are enthusiasts (the XCent was meant for my friend's mother and she refuses to drive the car. She never felt the same way about their Honda City or even their Scorpio or old Alto) and yet they share the same strong sentiments. Says something to me.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2016 at 00:59. Reason: Please avoid the unwanted bits. We encourage healthy discussions but definitely not this. Thank you!
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 22:33   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The i10 is a great car but the dead steering which leaves many nervous during emergency maneuvers, and the pathetic structural rigidity, can prove to be disastrous. Even within City speeds and limits.
i10 AT with its 4 speed AT box is not the car you overtake others in. Its a small hatchback , good for city driving. If you find yourself undertaking emergency overtaking maneuvers in city traffic then the problem lies elsewhere. Infact the same goes for highway driving too.

Quote:
Moreover I know of a couple of people who have literally sold off their Grand i10 and one who is thinking of selling his XCent, purely because of how excruciatingly boring they find the cars.
The market response to the grand i10 has been phenomenal to say the least. So your couple of friends might be extremely knowledgeable and used to excellent steering precision associated with cars like the german brands. For the rest of the majority the i10 Grand works fine I believe.

Quote:
She never felt the same way about their Honda City or even their Scorpio or old Alto) and yet they share the same strong sentiments. Says something to me.
And so you are suggesting that Honda city, Alto and Scorpio have better handling and steering feedback? I don't even want to counter that.

As an owner my experience with Nissan has been nothing short of disappointing.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2016 at 01:01. Reason: Cleaning up!
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 00:01   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So your couple of friends might be extremely knowledgeable and used to excellent steering precision associated with cars like the german brands.
I doubt they were extremely knowledgeable if they bought i10 expecting it to be enthusiast's car.

When I bought i10 auto 5 years ago, I knew exactly what it was. A really boring but very reliable car.

BTW, cool down guys. Automatic hatches are not an area where people need to excited about unless they are Polo DSG or the Figo DCT. Getting into a tizzy over i10 auto or Micra auto is like... is like..

Last edited by Samurai : 18th June 2016 at 00:02.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 02:58   #266
BHPian

Just buy an i10 as drmohitg suggested. I've consistently heard that FE is bad, (~9 kmpl) but that's the price you pay for convenience.

It's a neutral handler, but does the role of a city car well. You can buy a Micra if you're comfortable with the idea of servicing the car in an independent garage.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 05:18   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....For some reason or the other my wife is not keen on an AMT.....
Take a test drive. You'd be surprised. Having just bought a Alto K10 AMT for local market runs I have started to like it enough to think of replacing the bigger car also with AMT option soon.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 12:17   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
It's a neutral handler, but does the role of a city car well. You can buy a Micra if you're comfortable with the idea of servicing the car in an independent garage.
Nope. It does not work like this. your only option is Nissan, and that too maybe. When we had problem with the door of our Micra, we had to drive for 1.5 months with a faulty door, because "not in stock".
This is the story for most parts (barring common stuff l like filters and all).

AC knob broke? Wait 2 weeks for stock, or forever.
The part availability, atleast in Ludhiana is atrocious. This is a shame, considering the Micra is such a lovely fuel efficient little machine otherwise.

The story does not end just with Nissan. We had to email the heads, their dog, their grandfather and the butler just to get a cracked oil cooler which was forever out of stock in the Renault dealership(Duster is the vehicle here).
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 15:33   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

....and I'd reckon dog replied faster than......

Spares - through dealership or in open market - have been a great consideration as far as I am concerned in car buying decision.

Honda suffers on this account, in my ledger, as they try not to sell just spares.

Last edited by sudev : 18th June 2016 at 15:35.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 16:48   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at buying a used automatic hatch back for my wife.
I have been using the i10 AT since 2009 and can tell you it's a safe bet.
It's not an exciting car, but if you want to spend more time on road and less in the garage/thinking about garage - this is the car. Also, this is a very easy car to drive - only recommended upgrade is a tire upsize. This also takes care of the lifeless steering.
I got recent quotes (dealer quotes) of 2 lakhs for my 7 yr old car car, so expect to pay anything around 2.5-2.75 for a 2009 model, or progressively higher for a later model.
FE for me has been around 12.5 kmpl over the times. Gets 50% more mileage on long highway runs.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote