Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 22:12   #121
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Dont know if this is a good point to discuss here.


What stops Maruti from getting Estillo and Wagon-R AT versions? The same 1L K-series is available on A-Star.

An AT is seen mainly as an option for city commute. So, apart from convenience, the other main requirement is decent space.
Maruti should actually consider these two models very seriously (Esp Estillo) for an AT. These two make a perfect candidate.
I am very sure, that can potentially be the tipping point for AT sales !

Last edited by ampere : 29th January 2013 at 22:13.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 00:19   #122
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,494
Thanked: 4,111 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Dont know if this is a good point to discuss here.

What stops Maruti from getting Estillo and Wagon-R AT versions? The same 1L K-series is available on A-Star.

An AT is seen mainly as an option for city commute. So, apart from convenience, the other main requirement is decent space.
Maruti should actually consider these two models very seriously (Esp Estillo) for an AT. These two make a perfect candidate.
I am very sure, that can potentially be the tipping point for AT sales !
The Estilo and Wagon R are in the price sensitive segments. The manufacturer will not have economies of scale to price these AT cars competitively. With ATs they will out price themselves from the segment they are in.

They will tip the sales numbers subject to pricing being really affordable and decent 4 speed AT to boot.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 07:28   #123
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The Estilo and Wagon R are in the price sensitive segments. The manufacturer will not have economies of scale to price these AT cars competitively. With ATs they will out price themselves from the segment they are in.

They will tip the sales numbers subject to pricing being really affordable and decent 4 speed AT to boot.
That is true. But when they price it much lower than the Brio / i10, they would still have a good market from an AT point of view. Because intrinsically the product would be very good.

I agree its a price sensitive segment, but its definitely worth it. Because crowds who don't look for brands would get swayed to the Maruti network. Because from a city commute/usage point of view, people would just look at space, practicality and good service.

Last edited by GTO : 31st January 2013 at 13:16. Reason: corrected the grammar
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 09:27   #124
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Dont know if this is a good point to discuss here.


What stops Maruti from getting Estillo and Wagon-R AT versions? The same 1L K-series is available on A-Star.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The Estilo and Wagon R are in the price sensitive segments. The manufacturer will not have economies of scale to price these AT cars competitively. With ATs they will out price themselves from the segment they are in.

They will tip the sales numbers subject to pricing being really affordable and decent 4 speed AT to boot.
I don't think it has anything to do with economies of scale. I just think that Maruti are being silly.

The A-star is pretty much a dud in sales. The only sales it is getting is from the AT variant since it's the cheapest AT you can buy right now. It's rare to see a MT A-star.

If they launch the WagonR AT, they can basically write off the A-star AT completely. The WagonR and A-star MT are priced almost the same so the AT will be no different.

To protect killing off the A-star they are not launching the WagonR AT. I think that's silly because the A-star will only work as a second car in the family because of the severe shortage of space. That's why the sales are limited. A person will end up spending a little more and end up buying Brio or i10 since it's a complete package.

This is where the WagonR can effectively kill the i10 and Brio. It's a complete package with spacious rear seats, good boot space and decent FE.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 09:35   #125
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,494
Thanked: 4,111 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with economies of scale. I just think that Maruti are being silly.

The A-star is pretty much a dud in sales. The only sales it is getting is from the AT variant since it's the cheapest AT you can buy right now. It's rare to see a MT A-star.

If they launch the WagonR AT, they can basically write off the A-star AT completely. The WagonR and A-star MT are priced almost the same so the AT will be no different.

To protect killing off the A-star they are not launching the WagonR AT. I think that's silly because the A-star will only work as a second car in the family because of the severe shortage of space. That's why the sales are limited. A person will end up spending a little more and end up buying Brio or i10 since it's a complete package.

This is where the WagonR can effectively kill the i10 and Brio. It's a complete package with spacious rear seats, good boot space and decent FE.
The Wagon R VXi manual is around 5.1 lacs without considering any discounts. At the same time the I10 Kappa AT sportz is around 6.4 lacs. This give a room of around 1.3 lacs for Maruti to play around with.

If the wagon R is priced around 5.8 lacs in the VXi trim with a 4 speed AT. The numbers will be in favor of Wagon R.

Also to compare it with I10, the interiors needs to be of better build quality.

As you mentioned that Maruti is really being silly in not doing this.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 10:14   #126
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The Wagon R VXi manual is around 5.1 lacs without considering any discounts. At the same time the I10 Kappa AT sportz is around 6.4 lacs. This give a room of around 1.3 lacs for Maruti to play around with.

If the wagon R is priced around 5.8 lacs in the VXi trim with a 4 speed AT. The numbers will be in favor of Wagon R.

Also to compare it with I10, the interiors needs to be of better build quality.

As you mentioned that Maruti is really being silly in not doing this.
Just checked the ex-showroom prices between A-star and WagonR.

A-star VXi MT - 4.31 lakhs
A-star ZXi MT - 4.58
A-star ZXi MT ABS/airbags - 4.77
A-star VXi AT ABS - 4.82

WagonR MT VXi - 4.30 lakhs
WagonR MT VXi ABS - 4.62 lakhs

So Maruti is charging 50K for AT and ABS over the VXi. The WagonR VXi is priced exactly the same as A-star so the AT should also be around 4.8L.

The i10 Sportz AT is 5.36L ex-showroom without ABS.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 10:25   #127
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with economies of scale. I just think that Maruti are being silly.
+1. Writing is on the wall. The instant they do Wagon-R/Estillo AT, A* is dead. But A*being dead still means very very good sales for Wagon R.
Dont know whats stopping them. Engine, AT etc. all exist in place. FE is also very good. (Its a 1L AT compared to 1.2L AT of Brio/I10).

Last edited by ampere : 30th January 2013 at 10:34.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 11:22   #128
BHPian
 
rxpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 338
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

I have been looking around for a small AT car & have taken test drives of the Brio & A star, i also got these home to 'fit' them into our restricted parking space. I realised that a narrower Wagon R or Estilo of width 1475 mm, would be a better fit rather than the1680mm Brio or the 1600mm A Star. Even though the Brio & A star both fitted in, having a narrower car with also more interior space (due to height) MAKES MORE SENSE in our crowded cities......I am waiting for a Wagon AT or Estilo AT

Last edited by rxpaul : 30th January 2013 at 11:23.
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 11:02   #129
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Has any one got an opportunity to look at Ritz AT? Its listed on their site along with price details. But I dont see any response on this from people trying to check it out. Also I did not see any formal release announcements from Maruti. (Did I miss it?)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 11:51   #130
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Has any one got an opportunity to look at Ritz AT? Its listed on their site along with price details. But I dont see any response on this from people trying to check it out. Also I did not see any formal release announcements from Maruti. (Did I miss it?)
You missed it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...highlight=ritz

Infact it is good you missed it. The Ritz AT is priced at 6.3L ex-showroom!!! That is 17K more than the top end Brio AT. Brio gets you airbags, alloys, 5 speed AT. This one has none of that except ABS. Don't know what Maruti was thinking charging 1.3 lakhs above the MT.

I am now very eagerly waiting for the Micra CVT. I ended up rejecting the Brio AT because I was not too happy with the gearbox which was a little confused and used to go up and down a little too much to my liking.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 12:18   #131
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You missed it.
Thanks Viddy. Even I was appalled to see the pricing. I was aware of the thread you pointed, but did not see any one test driving it. (Off course it should be somewhat similar to the Dzire AT)

The day I read the Nissan release, I was kind of sure the Micra CVT (and Pulse) would be the best bet, if we go by their FE claims on Scala. (Though need to ascertain 1.5 Vs 1.2 CVT performance)

On top of it, if we were to believe on Astar/Estillo phase-out rumor, I hope Maruti comes with more effective AT options at lower price range.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:35   #132
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,607
Thanked: 8,603 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

The other thing I noticed is manufacturers don't want to enter the 7-8L upper B-segment hatches with AT options. Looks like its only because the AT car is seen as second car and buyer would like to limit budget to 6/6.5L.

Polo/Jazz/Fabia/Switft Petrol AT would have been fun to drive as a good city car.
The Polo 1.2 TSI DSG, would be good to have. But that would spiral the budget much higher and hence may not qualify to be a second car in the family. Maruti has a 1.2 AT and a 1L AT as well. It should not take much for then to pan-out into this segment. Ritz just got launched. But the true value would come in terms of Swift. The way it looks like is Maruti is pushing AT to only those, which do not sell volumes.

(Not bringing Dzire/SX4 into argument),

Summary : Today if on wants to upgrade an AT Hatch, and retain the same core values (FE, service), its not possible. I20 AT loses out on FE. 1.2L AT upper B-segment hatch options are dry.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 04:44   #133
BHPian
 
OmThoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Now new Mahindra e2o is also on the list, but again you get at it 5.96 on-road in Delhi, and 7L+ in Bangalore and other cities :(

Then there's Polo automatic coming out shortly, and Pulse, Micra to follow shortly as well.

Ritz is priced really silly; would NEVER spend so much on a Maruti! On a side-note, can't seem to understand why don't they bring diesel automatics in India?

Those who need to travel 6-70kms in a day, would anytime pay 50k-1L extra for a diesel over petrol; so why not a diesel automatic as well?
OmThoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:39   #134
BHPian
 
krdeshmukh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other thing I noticed is manufacturers don't want to enter the 7-8L upper B-segment hatches with AT options. Looks like its only because the AT car is seen as second car and buyer would like to limit budget to 6/6.5L.

Polo/Jazz/Fabia/Switft Petrol AT would have been fun to drive as a good city car.
The Polo 1.2 TSI DSG, would be good to have. But that would spiral the budget much higher and hence may not qualify to be a second car in the family. Maruti has a 1.2 AT and a 1L AT as well. It should not take much for then to pan-out into this segment. Ritz just got launched. But the true value would come in terms of Swift. The way it looks like is Maruti is pushing AT to only those, which do not sell volumes.

(Not bringing Dzire/SX4 into argument),

Summary : Today if on wants to upgrade an AT Hatch, and retain the same core values (FE, service), its not possible. I20 AT loses out on FE. 1.2L AT upper B-segment hatch options are dry.
Hi ,
I just went thru all the possible posts on i10auto asta. But none of the bhpians have received more than 10kmpl. A country obsessed with (kit a deti hai?) life will be difficult. I am looking for some advice from gurus on forum.
I drive 100kms a day. 2500kms a month . Including 2 Pune mumbai trips.
Please tell me if it makes sense to go for i10 auto petrol or verna auto ex diesel.
Pl help.
Cheers
krdeshmukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:16   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdeshmukh View Post
Hi ,
I just went thru all the possible posts on i10auto asta. But none of the bhpians have received more than 10kmpl. A country obsessed with (kit a deti hai?) life will be difficult. I am looking for some advice from gurus on forum.
I drive 100kms a day. 2500kms a month . Including 2 Pune mumbai trips.
Please tell me if it makes sense to go for i10 auto petrol or verna auto ex diesel.
Pl help.
Cheers
i10
Cost per KM=Rs 8, Running cost per month Rs 20000,
Fuel cost incurred in 5 years= Rs 12 lacs (keeping fuel price same for the sake of calculation)
Depreciation loss(approx) after 5 years = 4 lacs
Total damage= 16 lacs

Verna D AT
Cost per KM=Rs 5, Running cost per month Rs 12500,
Fuel cost incurred in 5 years= Rs 7.5 lacs (keeping fuel price same for the sake of calculation)
Depreciation loss(approx) after 5 years = 6 lacs
Total damage= 13.5 lacs

Please note that my numbers may not be accurate and I have not considered many aspects like insurance and service costs. But even a rough calculation points to Diesel advantage (even with a car which is 1-2 segment higher).

Last edited by Guna : 2nd April 2013 at 23:18.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic transmission - sedan or hatchback under 10L Tron Sedans 17 2nd June 2016 11:32
Mercedes Benz 300D (W123 series): Manual Transmission to Automatic Transmission. wartikars Post-War 5 3rd January 2014 12:39
Wheelspin in an Automatic Transmission (A/T) Dippy Technical Stuff 24 6th December 2010 22:19
Need help to choose an Automatic Transmission hatchback chittybang Hatchbacks 17 28th April 2008 10:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks