Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 19th April 2007, 18:37   #1

Lightbulb What to go for?

Friends,
Here are my requirements and I am to make a choice before 24th of this month. I'd appreciate any advice from the more experienced (than me) fraternity.

Almost on all weekdays, for the coming one year atleast, I drive about 50km every day from Mehdipatnam to Jubilee Hills (via Hitech city) (so, its a combination of highway and city). On some weekends, I go on a long drive (long is ~500km to and fro together).
After a year, the usage will come down to about 10 km a day, mostly in city.
On weekdays, only me and my wife travel. But for long drives, it is either 5 people or 4 people with some luggage.
My budget is a max of upto 5.5L.
Diesel models are out of race because I dont like the hard clutches and accelerators and mainly the noise.
So, I am left with the following (do let me know if I missed any car):
Santro
Indica Xeta
Alto
Palio
Getz
Swift
Zen Estilo
Wagon R
Esteem
Indigo
Ikon Flair

The relative merits and demerits as I see in each car are:
Ikon Flair:
Ford is too expensive to maintain.
The pre-sales itself is pathetic (when I went to Fortune Ford, there was only one guy who was handling 5 customers. He took my number and said he'd call later (as he was dealing with some customers for Fiesta), but that did not happen for the next two days). With this experience, I am not sure of how its post-sales reception will be (its a common saying that ford is known for its bad A.S.S)

Indigo:

Does not look any different than Indica from front. The dealers (Concord) are not willing to let me take a test drive for atleast 20-25 km. Also, I hear that there are troubles with the car. (Not sure though)

Esteem:
A very good car, but the model is dead old. Does not look feel like a new car in the market, even after remake. But this still is a choice for me. Im not sure of its price in Hyd. though.

Wagon R:
My wife doesn't like it. So, I'd be doomed if I think of it.

Zen Estilo:
The seats are too small and is especially uncomfortable if we had to sqeeze in five people.

Swift:
The looks are a big let down for us (I know many people like it, but its a personal choice).

Getz:
It suffers from low pickup and is troublesome in city (I drove my friends 1.3 getz). But it is roomy inside.

Palio:
I plan to sell off the new car in about 5 years. This will not fetch me any reasonable money, plus Fiat is still far behind in network and service.

Alto:
I had a Maruti 800 earlier, and this feels exactly the same. Got bored of it.

Indica Xeta:
Good car, but suffers from the 'Taxi' syndrome.

Xing:
Very good in city, but is crampy for more than four people and shivers after 100 kmph on highway.

Please advice on what you think is a better choice for me.

Thanks in advance.
Sriharsha.
svedurmudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 18:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

i would say the getz or the palio since you dont like the ikon and the swift. the getz would have much better A.S.S than the palio and would get you better resale after 5 years. but if you find the getz underpowered then why dont you test drive the palio 1.6. it has a huge following on tbhp.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 19:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am left with the following (do let me know if I missed any car):
That is a pretty long list but Guess you left out the chevrolet's the U-va and the spark[to be launched in july in AP], and the logan 1.4.
However I think you should not compare an alto with an Ikon.

You could narrow down to the b+ segment cars and the sedans.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 19:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, a Swift diesel would be ideal for your usage pattern. Drive a modern diesel, they are not noisy, and they don't have hard clutches or accelerators. Some are better than their petrol brethren. But then again, you don't like its looks.

Are you ok with a used car?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 19:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is what i would recommend (based on preference):

Swift

Getz 1.3

IKon Flair

Indigo

Indica Xeta

WagonR

Santro

Palio Stile

Zen Estilo

Alto
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 19:14   #6
BHPian

I think you are comparing cars in different segments

Between - Alto/Santro/Indica Xeta/Wagon R/Zen Estilo - Choose the Santro it is the best in my view ... gr8 pickup, A.S.S, Mileage ... I agree on the shivering after 100 kmph but there are workarounds - Better tyres, alloy wheels, Koni shockers etc

Between - Swift/Getz/Palio - Choose the Swift ... nothing else will do ... once you start driving it (100kmph on 2nd gear) u will forget the looks ... I mean the driving pleasure compensates for everything else that is wrong with it

Between - Esteem/Flair/Indigo - Choose the Esteem ... same engine as Swift ... it really is awesome ... Flair and Indigo don't even come close in terms of performance and economy ... I know it doesn't look good but what the heck you can modify the exterior to make it look really hot ...
dj_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 19:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

What I could infer from you analysis of the cars :
You need
- a new car and a fairly new model
- with good resale value after 5 years
- stable at high speeds
- spacious
- has reasonably good pickup
- good a.s.s.
- within 5.5 L

I don't think there is any car that matches all the criteria. The nearest would be the Getz. Try the Accent too - should be within 5.5L.

Try and prioritise the requirements and see which matter most. That'll make your decision easier.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 19:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

for your running, a diesel would be a better bet. i would recommend the swift diesel. In case you find that cramped, you can also look at the Indica Turbo or the base version of the Indigo (LS)
himanshugoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 19:37   #9
rks
BANNED

For the kind of distances that you plan to do, you need, above all, a *reliable* car with a wide service network. In my view, you should only consider Hyundai or Maruti vehicles.

If you go for a Santro Xing and upgrade to tubeless tyres (and preferably, alloy wheels with the right specs), you need to have absolutely no worries about the high-speed handling. It will be rock-solid, provided you take care to maintain your car, check tyre pressures, rotate tyres and do wheel alignment/balancing regularly. It is just a myth that this car "shakes" at speeds above 100 kmph.

I do about 25 kms daily on weekdays in Pune city and about 400 kms on my Pune-Mumbai-Pune trips every week-end (Friday evening to Monday morning) in my old Santro. It has never broken down in over a 100 trips over the past two years or so, and I have done 140+ speeds with no "shaking" whatsoever. I have alloys and tubeless tyres in my car.

If you want more space than Santro then consider Getz, Swift or Esteem. You have to compromise somewhere keeping in mind that reliable performance and a wide service network are the most important considerations.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 00:42   #10
HSV
BHPian

Actually if I am not wrong the Renault Logan might fit into your budget - and from what I hear its great for 5 people.

Actually you can think about the Indigo LX diesel - its great value for money if you're willing to ignore few niggles which are inherent in TATA vehicles. I own one and am quite happy with it till date. Here are my two cents on it:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...tml#post402825
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 01:36   #11
BHPian

Your query screams for "Santro XING XING XING"..
Its the best car among the ones that you have listed...superb pickup, good A.S.S., good fuel efficiency...and i have overtaken bigger cars in our xing. Go for XING XL. Its value for money.
On my last trip to India, I purchased a XING XL for my parents and drove this for a month. I always used to get this 'kick' in the first gear, great pickup I must say...and I switched to tubeless and alloys so handling became better and this does NOT shake even on 120+ speeds.
Nice chilling A.C., no high maintenance, and yes good looks(i like the rear). This is a really nice cute little car, which is best city driver and good in highways too. Take my word for it.
ashwin_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 06:23   #12
BHPian

Sriharsha,

My advise to you would be go in for the ikon flair.

The parts used to be expensive but are not so expensive now since they are now made in India.

A.S.S should be a concern only until you get free servicing for the new car. Once your free services are over get the car serviced by your mechanic and not company showroom. That would be cheaper and also mechanics are better than company mechanics. Its like going to a doctor as per your preference.

I have a Baleno 2005 and Ikon 1.6 zxi 2001 and I like Ikon better to drive than Baleno. Baleno feels lighter than the Ikon and Ikon feels more sturdy. But please keep in mind that mine is Ikon 1.6. You may like to test drive the flair and check.

Also Ford being an American company must be having a strict quality control since my 6 year old Esteem which I sold recently had niggling problems like power windows motors failing, servicing of Air Conditioner every summer but my Ikon has given me no such problems.

I would recommend you not to go for an indian company like tata or maruti(please don't bring patriotism here, I love my country) but I feel Japanese (read Honda's) and Americans(read Ikon) have a better quality check than us.
compenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 07:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Santro would a nice car, but then 4-5 people with luggage, and you will need a trailer for your suitcases!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Also Ford being an American company must be having a strict quality control
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 07:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Santro for highway?
Now where did that come from?

svedurmudi, You are better off going with a lower C segment Sedan or a Swift/Getz.

Last edited by DCEite : 20th April 2007 at 07:55.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 10:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

i would say fo for swift diesel or go for the accent petrol me thinks that would suffice.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote