Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 29th April 2007, 13:46   #1

Default Advice needed:Sedan / Hatchback (CNG/LPG)

Hi All,

I have been studying car market for last 1 month. From pricing perspective I am coming to a conclusion that diesel cars with good fuel economy(CRDE ones) are pretty higly priced.

My utilization will be 70KM per day in City. And highway use will be good on week ends.

I am looking for advise from user who might have done following experimentation.

Indigo (CNG/LPG)- Overall experience & Fuel Economy.
Swift (CNG/LPG)-Overall experience & Fuel Economy.

Any advice on company fitted CNG / LPG against own experimentation?
Also any user who have done LPG /CNG fitting on Petrol Sedan?

Please help as I am about to finalize the car in next 1 week. Urgent response is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sandip
sandipwadje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 09:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sandip,

for the same money if you get a sedan go for it without thinking twice since you don't mind getting a big car! as for LPG the pickup will drop. be prepared for that! i m not sure if anyone has already put in CNG into swift in this forum. check out the swift threads for this.

And do mention what your budget is and more details as to what your are looking at.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 09:55   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Sandip, Here is an article that may be of your interest : Linky (ARTICLE: CNG vs LPG Comparision)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 12:15   #4

Default Re: Advice needed:Sedan / Hatchback (CNG/LPG)

Hi Geek,
Thanks for the feedback. My budget is 5 to 5.5 lakhs.
Currently I am seriously thinking about Swift Diesel but again I think its too high price for a hatchback.

I had a look at CNG installation on Indica Xeta and the cylinder is really bulky.

Now it comes to Wagon R Duo which really an excellent car and no loss of boot space as well. But then with Rs.1 lakh more I get same fuel economy in Swift Diesel. More confort and peace of mind in driving in one fuel.

Actually I was interested if any one has done LPG installation on VXI or any sedan Indigo Petrol etc?

Regards,
Snadip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Sandip,

for the same money if you get a sedan go for it without thinking twice since you don't mind getting a big car! as for LPG the pickup will drop. be prepared for that! i m not sure if anyone has already put in CNG into swift in this forum. check out the swift threads for this.

And do mention what your budget is and more details as to what your are looking at.
Old 30th April 2007, 12:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandipwadje View Post
Hi Geek,
Thanks for the feedback. My budget is 5 to 5.5 lakhs.
Currently I am seriously thinking about Swift Diesel but again I think its too high price for a hatchback.

I had a look at CNG installation on Indica Xeta and the cylinder is really bulky.

Now it comes to Wagon R Duo which really an excellent car and no loss of boot space as well. But then with Rs.1 lakh more I get same fuel economy in Swift Diesel. More confort and peace of mind in driving in one fuel.

Actually I was interested if any one has done LPG installation on VXI or any sedan Indigo Petrol etc?

Regards,
Snadip

I hope you know that if u fit a cng or lpg in a new car , u void ur warranty !! In ur case i would say go for wagon r duo !! I test drove a wagon r duo and ran it in lpg mode, there is a considerable loss in torque but for city driving it should not be that important a factor . The economy as quoted by the dealer was 9.5 kms per litre of lpg which is pretty cheap !!
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 12:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a sedan only for LPG/CNG conversions as the extra tank takes up space. For LPG, esteem is the best on a low budget & OHC is great on a slightly bigger budget. For CNG, i think a fellow member had good results on an accent.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 23:51   #7

Default Re: Advice needed:Sedan / Hatchback (CNG/LPG)

Hi,
What is OHC?
Is there any one who has fitted LPG on his new accent with waranty from Hyundai dealer? If yes any dealer in mumbai giving such service?

Regards,
Sandip
Old 1st May 2007, 09:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
What is OHC?
Is there any one who has fitted LPG on his new accent with waranty from Hyundai dealer? If yes any dealer in mumbai giving such service?

Regards,
Sandip

1. OHC= Old Honda City

2. If i remember correctly Gurgaon member .anshuman recently fitted CNG in his Accent. But not sure warranty from Hyundai dealer or aftermarket. Better you PM him.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 11:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hi sandip with your budget the largest factory fitted car which comes with CNG tank is the Xeta. I think wolfestein has one.
As for indigo, the diesel will be in your budget and give you low running costs, slightly higher than CNG but still quite low.
If factory fitment is not a criteria you can buy Esteem/Accent/Honda City etc., from the second hand market and put in CNG for expense of about 45K

My suggestion if you want boot space
1. Go test drive the indigo diesel, if you don't like it
2. Check out the boot of Xeta and take a test drive

then there is wagon R of course, but as you say for 1 lakh more you get a swift.
I don't know whats the range of Wagon R LPG. Your running is high, so a good range will help, you don't want to be queued every second day.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 15:28   #10

Default RE: Advice needed:Sedan / Hatchback (CNG/LPG)

Hi ,
I check Indigo diesel. The issue there is Indigo LX(Turbo Diesel Engine) Costs on Road Rs.5.8 lakhs. But at Rs.5.5 lakhs Swift VDi is Common Rail Diesel engine. And if I have to buy Indigo Dicor LX it costs Rs.6.4 lakhs on road.
Now I am not expert in diesel engine. To me DICOR(Indigo) and DDIS(Swift) are Comman Rail engines. So I really wonder is it worth paying Rs.1 lakh more in Indigo just for boot space?
Which is better? DICOR or DDIS?

The price of Wagon R Duo on Road is Rs.4.2 lakhs. In fact its a really good car in terms of economy and no issue of boot space also as they have flat LPG tank fitted very well inside.

Indica Xeta I have checked pictures posted by one user on Internet. And the CNG takes a really big amount of boot space(In fact no boot space at all).

Any one has idea what is the on road price of Ikon CNG? Does the KIT comes factory fitted or they have also tied up with Big Vendor like Tata.

But overall I can see that the amount of LPG / CNG installation on new vehicles is pretty less.

Regards,
Sandip
Old 1st May 2007, 16:13   #11
Team-BHP Support

The indigo diesel LX DICOR is not really VFM, the Indigo LX TDI is.
In case of Indigo the DICOR does not give any substantial improvement as per performance. The vibrations are a little less though.
As for wagon R LPG, it looks that suits you perfectly.
Low running cost+ you have boot space too.

As for swift DDiS and Tata DICOR engines, the swift engine(which is a fiat 1.3 multijet engine) is much much better.

So if you don't want the space of a sedan and are okay with a hatch swift diesel is good buy and will give you very low running costs.

In the land of hatches you have wagon R LPG at 4.2 on road, Indica Xeta CNG(no boot space) and indica DLG turbo (around 4.8 on road, and less after more discounts).

So go for Wagon R LPG if you have LPG filling stations within easy reach
If you have very few locations where you get LPG from and they are far way choose between
1. Swift VDi (the best engine of the lot)
2. Indica turbo DLG ( Cheaper than VDi by a lakh if you factor in discounts)
3. Indigo TDi LX (if you need a sedan with big boot).
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 18:17   #12
BHPian

Are you going in for Financing options, if yes the Best Sedan with Factory fitted combo of CNG will be either the Chev Optra CNG 3yr Warranty or HM Misubishi Lancer CNG.

About the Boot space- You have choice of cylinder 9/12/16..!

In a Hatch it is be understood, that whatever the Tank Size..Boot space has to be negated.

With Sedan, I have seen a OHC ( Old Honda City), Still retain decent space in boot, but def not for any large Baggages, You can put in your Groceries and all..!

If Boot space is a main concern, then You can by LPG Maruti, since they are the only ones to offer a LPG Kit.

The Cylinder will be fitting in the Wheel Well, and Spare wheel will be placed on top..Hardly any Boot saving..either way..!

Convert the Wagon R into Tubeless and remove the spare wheel.

If you go through the CNG vs LPG thread you will find Pros and Cons for both.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 23:23   #13

Default Booked Swift LDi today

Hi All,
Finally I booked Swift VDi today. I have two questions now.

1. Is it necessary to go for extended waranty?
2.Which is the best general insurance? I am thinking of going for Maruti Insurance.

Regards,
Sandip
Old 2nd May 2007, 23:38   #14
BHPian

Ford is also offering a CNG kit for new ikon flair at around Rs57,000.
salesman told me on my last visit to Ford's showrrom

checkout Ford India
dcetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 17:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Finally I booked Swift VDi today. I have two questions now.

1. Is it necessary to go for extended waranty?
2.Which is the best general insurance? I am thinking of going for Maruti Insurance.

Regards,
Sandip
Congrats.
Maruti Insurance is convenient.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 3rd May 2007 at 17:36. Reason: Carriage Return
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote