Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 10th May 2007, 13:04   #1

Question Info needed on - Used Maruti Zen

Hi

I am planning to buy a used Maruti Zen. I wanted to know some info regarding this.

My Price Range is around 1 to 1.5 lacs.
I will be traveling about 45-50 km's per day on weekdays plus occasional highway drives. It will be self driven.

My specific requirements are
  • Easy maneuverability, in traffic as a significant portion of my drive will be through tough traffic conditions. So power Steering is a must.
  • Decent FE
I am not very interested in resale value, I can spend some money on modding the engine if it goes bust (at a later date) and retain the car as a city drive.

However I have a few doubts regarding the Zen.

Since when did the MPFI models start?
What will be a good price for a 1999/2000 in Bangalore?
Will I get an MPFI model in my budget?

Which model (Carb/MPFI) Zen sports a Power Steering?
Also some models say Power Steering others say EPS any difference between the two?

What is the stock Wheel/Tire size in a Zen?

thanks,
Kart.
Kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 16:27   #2
BHPian

Hi Kart,

MUL introduced MPFI engines in the ZEN in early 2000
Not sure about 99/2000 model, but I sold my 98 (carb) zen in october 06 for 1.2L
The 'i' at the end indicates power steering in Maruti vehicles, so LXi / VXi would have power steering. VXi has EPS.

My Zen had 145 70 r13 tyres as stock, but the later models came with slightly smaller 12 inch rims

Cheers,
Ajit

Last edited by ajitkommini : 10th May 2007 at 16:31.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 16:42   #3
BHPian

Since when did the MPFI models start? - 2000
What will be a good price for a 1999/2000 in Bangalore? -1.4 to 1.6 Lakhs. My colleague bought a good 2000 model ZEN MPFI for 1.6 lakhs from a used car dealer. So if its a direct deal you might get the same 10 K less.
Will I get an MPFI model in my budget? Yes or prob 10 to 20K more

Which model (Carb/MPFI) Zen sports a Power Steering? There is Zen VX and VXi. the i states its a EPS which started by end 2000 or early 2001.
Also some models say Power Steering others say EPS any difference between the two?EPS is electronic power steering and other one is hydarulic. In elecronic power steering the computer controlls the power to the steering hence more energy efficient.It will cut off after speeds of 60Kms per hour.

What is the stock Wheel/Tire size in a Zen? - Lxi was sold with 145/70/R13. Vxi with 155/65/R13. However once the new model of old zen was launched (not the Estilo) it was sold with R12 size tyres.
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 17:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think MPFI started in late 2000. The Zen VX had power steering till 2001 end when it was changed to VXi, LXi & LX. NO, the Zen never came with EPS.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 18:10   #5
BHPian

@ E_L, you are spot on. MPFI came in for the whole of Maruti range in late 2000.

@ Kart. My advice is you stretch you budget, if necessary, and go for MPFI model. It makes a difference!!
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 18:35   #6
BHPian

Hi Kart,

i'm new member to this fourm... but old user of Zen..... i own two Zen LX 99 & 2000 model....

regarding your questions .......

Zen is pretty good car... low maintenance...good FE... as you dont have concern for resale value... i'll say go for zen only....

MPFI model stated in Q3 in 2000 year... PS you can get in LXi & VXi models...

tyres sizes in old zen was R13 & R12 size came in the later model (as far as i knowQ4 of 2002 onwards)...

Cheers,
Satjeet
Cool Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 07:46   #7

Question About Power Steering

Hi

Thanks a lot to every one for all the replies.
Can PS be fitted on to a LX/VX model without power steering?
Any Pro's/Con's for this?

Since I am getting vehicles that have been driven a lot >50-60K in my price range I am asking these questions.
Whats the engine life of a Zen. At what mileage does Zen's usually require an engine re-build?

If I go for an engine change at a later date can the Carb be interchanged with an MPFI?

thanks,
Karthik.
Kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 12:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
Can PS be fitted on to a LX/VX model without power steering?Any Pro's/Con's for this?
As far as I know VX already has PS. Anyway, I haven't seen anyone retrofitting PS.

Quote:
Whats the engine life of a Zen. At what mileage does Zen's usually require an engine re-build?
Depends on the usage. Even for a badly maintained car should easily fo 100000 Kms before you think about engine works. That engine is bulletproof
Quote:
If I go for an engine change at a later date can the Carb be interchanged with an MPFI?
Difference between prices of a 2000 carb and MPFI Zen would be roughly 10-15k. So spend time in the used car market, till you get a good deal for a MPFI one. In used car market, people tend to be paraniod about 2nd owner/3rd owner cars, hence those comes at lower price. If you are going to keep the car for sometime, thats a good option to evaluate.

Only (easy) way to convert a carb zen to MPFI one is an engine trasplant- That would anyway cost you half the cost of your car
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 12:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know VX already has PS. Anyway, I haven't seen anyone retrofitting PS.
Nopes VX had front PW, body coloured bumpers, rear viper etc but no PS
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 12:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Nopes VX had front PW, body coloured bumpers, rear viper etc but no PS
Thats the alto VX. The zen VX had PS. (Now you are confusing me, will have to check).
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 13:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you sure last I saw Zen the VX didnt have PS. Infact at that time most claimed that the steering in Zen is so light that it doesnt much need one.

It might be very initial models like the esteem VX(old) otherwise none of the recent(read 99-00 am sure of atleast this year onwards) MUL cars sported a PS without an 'i'
Old 11th May 2007, 13:50   #12
BHPian

I had a friend who had a non power steering Zen VX. To my knowledge VX had power steering and LX did not have. When I checked with him, he claims that when he bought the car there was an option in VX with and without power steering.... And my friends car had power windows too...
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 14:53   #13
BHPian

My 2c

I Drive a Stock '99 Zen VX With Power windows and PS... I Think at that time PS (hydraulic ) was standard among The Zen Models... I had checked with the dealer & a friend in MUL atleast 3 times before buying it..

In 2000 they discontinued the hydraulic PS and introduced Electronic PS.. which was indicated in the Model desgnation as Model-Trim (i)
Eg Zen- Vx i
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 14:55   #14
BHPian

Can't Edit.. anyway I bought the Zen In '99.... first hand..
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 17:04   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats some good info Jomz. Thanks didnt knew this