Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 16th May 2007, 11:38   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
The only worry is its rear seat :
I have not tried or tested the rear seat, but you pls try yourselves and see how it is.
hope this is enough ;-)
Though I think swift lacks space in the rear (as compare to U-VA / Getz) there is nothing wrong with the seat. Many people travelled with me and never ever single guy complained discomfort( could be due to good thigh support). As far as space is concerned nothing beats U-VA, I guess its a very good package.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 12:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragindia View Post
I have taken test-ride of U-Va. It is bigger and spacious than Getz. Only question is FE and *** of GM
U-VA has a reported mileage of 12 kmpl in City, which is fair enough!
And GM Service is quite decent, though not so widespread as Maruti & Hyundai.

So if you liked it, go for it!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 13:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi Parag,

I would like to comment on your simple reasons. I am not owning a Fiat at present. But the facts you have given here about Maruti needs come correction i beleive.

1. Maruti A.S.S is good and that depends solely on the dealer.
2. Long wait period doesnt mean that a Vehicle is most sought after. That is a age old marketing strategy handled by Maruti and most of the manufacturers. Our indian buyers get the same feel that the vehicle is something in demand and extend the queue.
3. Bigger discounts doesnt mean the same always either. There are only a few people who buy the Fiat because of the A.S.S which was bad over their previous years. I hope Fiat is coming back well. Whenever you come across a Fiat driver, he wud be a driver of passion rather than a strategical owner.
4. Jap made cars are the best, there is no arguement in that. But do you get the same version of swift with the same quality in India is the question? You would have seen the swift AD calling it a winner in Europe, Newzealand and so many places. Is that the same car in India? Whereas the Fiat has produced the same cars with modifications in the Engine configs.
5. The VDi doesnt even have the rear defrogger which is a major cost cutting strategy. Driving a hatchback without a rear defrogger is critical while driving on rainy or overcast conditions.
6. FE is not so good in the petrol versions. Diesel version i am yet to see a feedback. I am not commenting on that.
7. Swift diesel holds a Fiat diesel engine.
8. Sporty looking - YES!
9. The engine is a whole package from the Fiat. So this still remains a question mark.

Other feedback from my friends who drive the Swift:
1. Feels insecure on highway speeds.
2. Limited boot space is annoying while going on long trips.
3. Rear passenger ventilation is inadequate while driving on sunny days with the A/C off.
4. Hard to accomodate 3 well built people on the rear seat. Have experienced that myself.

Correct me if i am wrong guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Parag,
with similar requirements, I almost finalised on VDi. There are few well known, simple reasons for this decision.

1. Maruti's support/A.S.S is generally good with reasonably priced spares.
2. Long waiting period means, most sought after, then better resale value
3. Bigger Discounts (for Palio etc) means, less sought after then less resale value
4. You can bet on Jap made cars simply as the World even Americans does just that!
5. VDi is a VFM and its a nice package altogether.
6. FE is unbeatable in this segment. hiway around 20kmpls, in city 14 kmpl. over all 15kmpls
7. Latest gen CRDi means less noise, less troubles and actually better driveability than a Petrol sibiling. No need to calculate daily usage etc now!
8. Sporty looking/exciting design - one of its kind in India, atleast.
9. Maruti has invested heaviliy on CRDi engine plant, so you are sure of its support/spare etc.

The only worry is its rear seat :
I have not tried or tested the rear seat, but you pls try yourselves and see how it is.

hope this is enough ;-)
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 16:49   #49

After all your inputs I am thinking of Ikon, Getz or U-va. What do you recommend?
paragindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 17:27   #50
BANNED

I think the Indigo diesel would fit your requirements perfectly. Unless someone else is paying your fuel bills, please don't consider petrol for your kind of running.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 18:06   #51
BHPian

I agree with hrag. Why go for a hatch when there are big,roomy sedans in that segment? Since you have a driver, have him wrestle the Indigo's steering, while you enjoy your lounge. You also get a huge boot, diesel economy, and Tata service backup. The non-dicorised Indigo should be within your budget.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 19:49   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragindia View Post
After all your inputs I am thinking of Ikon, Getz or U-va. What do you recommend?
Parag, if you are looking at a petrol sedan under 6lakhs, the ford Ikon Flair is the best best for you. I own one myself and can vouch for it. Rear seat comfort on the Flair is definitely good, and will not leave you cramped for space. Even when you do decide to drive yourself, you will not be disappointed.

Fuel efficiency is also on expected lines for a sedan and the city figures fall between 12-14 kmpl. On highway it returns between 16-18 kmpl, based on driving.

Do let me know if you need any further info.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 20:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
( could be due to good thigh support)
Thats wrong. I am 5'10 and just few days back was test driving a swift for my friend. I tried this back seat, and about 1/3 of thigh had no support.

Also, visibility of swift, for driver, is really really bad.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 20:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Parag, if you are looking at a petrol sedan under 6lakhs, the ford Ikon Flair is the best best for you. I own one myself and can vouch for it. Rear seat comfort on the Flair is definitely good, and will not leave you cramped for space. Even when you do decide to drive yourself, you will not be disappointed.

Fuel efficiency is also on expected lines for a sedan and the city figures fall between 12-14 kmpl. On highway it returns between 16-18 kmpl, based on driving.

Do let me know if you need any further info.
benny, are your FE figures with or without A/C? My friend reports around 10.5 kpl with A/C in bangalore city...

Also, I read somewhere that the quality of the plastics and interiors in the (all) new Flair is not on par with the earlier version. Did you get a chance to look at the new one?
spindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 23:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

Swift Diesel it is. After all, it has a transplanted Fiat heart (engine ) .. So you get the best of both worlds.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 23:55   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Just curious why Aveo U-VA is not a good option?

Equally curious if any of the BHPians own a UVA?

Actually, a colleague of mine does. I took it for a spin in our office campus when it was delivered. There's nothing that can be held against the car actually; it does what its intended to do well enough. The only complaint against it so far is its far too overpriced for what it offers. My colleague's is the middle LS model, and the OTR came very close to a Swift Zxi's.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 00:18   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Actually, a colleague of mine does. I took it for a spin in our office campus when it was delivered. There's nothing that can be held against the car actually; it does what its intended to do well enough. The only complaint against it so far is its far too overpriced for what it offers. My colleague's is the middle LS model, and the OTR came very close to a Swift Zxi's.
Thanks Mag for the feedback!

Shucks, GM has committed the same mistake as Hyundai did for Getz!
Hope they realize it very soon before UVA follows the path of Corsa Sail!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 09:57   #58

Is IKon in it's last half of product life cycle? I heard ford is not doing well. One of my friend told me about the bumper related issue that those get damaged very fast. One friend told that the coolant tube leakage and some issues following him from day one.
Any Ikon owner - BHPian can please comment on this to help me take final decision.
paragindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 11:10   #59
BHPian

@Parag, the iKON was launched in oct '99, which was over 7 yrs ago. So, it is certainly in the latter half of its lifecycle. But, whether it is in the last leg of its journey or not is anybody's guess... Ford is still doing decent volumes on the ikon and it is a fave in the taxi segment. And it is the only model in Ford's portfolio with a CNG variant. This would logically suggest that the ikon probably still has some "josh" left in it.

Also, there have been some reports by t.bhp members that a hatchback version of the ikon may be on the anvil, but they remain rumours until confirmed by Ford.
spindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 11:39   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
benny, are your FE figures with or without A/C? My friend reports around 10.5 kpl with A/C in bangalore city...

Also, I read somewhere that the quality of the plastics and interiors in the (all) new Flair is not on par with the earlier version. Did you get a chance to look at the new one?
Spindoc, the fuel efficiency figures i have mentioned are with varying usage of the A/C. even with close to 100% AC usage, i get 12+kmpl. Traffic conditions include the Whitefield traffic as well as occassional hosur road traffic.

I didnt really like the interiors shade on the the new Ikons. I kinda like dark interiors, which are also easier to maintain.

Quote:
Is IKon in it's last half of product life cycle? I heard ford is not doing well. One of my friend told me about the bumper related issue that those get damaged very fast. One friend told that the coolant tube leakage and some issues following him from day one.
Any Ikon owner - BHPian can please comment on this to help me take final decision.
Parag, I dont know about your sources regarding Ford, but as far as their operations in India are concerned, i am sure they are doing quite well, specially with the Fiesta, and the Ikon combined.

No issues on my car so far, and i have done about 8000 kms on it so far, so guess that should answer your question.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote