Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
Old 21st May 2007, 18:09   #16

Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The only time it failed to start was in June 2003 when the battery failed due to being overcharged by the regulator unit.
Sorry, that should read June 2006.
Old 28th June 2007, 09:01   #17

Been choosing between an alto, Santro, wagon R till i test drove the new xeta 1.2 gls yest. Rocks, decent pick up, goot suspension (i tot the suspension would be bad before i started the vehicle), decent interiors (even maruti proves cheap plastic interiors) and spacccccious.

I took the TD at concorde chennai, and the guy said 12 on road is what u can expect. Wish its true, coz now am counting indicas in my dream.

Guys, how is the maintainence on the xeta ? ppl gen talk abt tata cars not being reliable.
Old 28th June 2007, 10:34   #18
Team-BHP Support

Expect minor electrical problems later in time
Around 50K kms : Some alternator problem(1000-1500rs expense)
Around 60-70K : Power steering pump bearings may start giving away (1000-1500rs)
Around 60-70K : Starter motor may give problems(2000rs)

Apart from that its low maintenance.
Suspension and gearbox(including clutch plates) last for around 90K if driven properly.

So if you take care of her, she will take care of you.
Sometimes you may find that some parking light is not working due to loose connection.

For what it costs on road, its an unbeatable VFM package, esp if you like a car you can stretch in. 12 in city mileage is achievable with the 1.2
Old 28th June 2007, 12:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Havent owned one myself, but have come across these thread recently in Tbhp.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...xeta-woes.html (Indica Xeta woes !!!)

Its a very VFM package, but for sheer reliability, better stick to Alto/ WagonR/ Santro.
Old 28th June 2007, 14:21   #20

We have a Indica Xeta the 1.2 version at home. Been there for an year now. Long road trips and daily usage in a small town where my parents stay.
Dad takes it out regularly for work. And we take long trips during holidays. Decent pickup.
Road noise enters cabin at high speeds (most people can live with this).
Good AC.
Handling could be better.
Good ride on smooth roads. POtholes - you better slow down!
Dad claims 10 kmpl within town. We see around 14-15 on our highway trips.
No major problems as such even during our highway trips.
The Left ORVM fell off within a few months of buying it. Apart from that no such issues. Car starts everyday without a fuss.

ooops.. forgot to mention. Parents took test drives of Alto, Santro and Indica with mom at the back. She loves the rear seats of the INdica.

Old 28th June 2007, 16:28   #21

Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Power steering is absolutely neccessary and especially so in an Indica. The general perception is that Tata cars are a little unreliable when it comes to niggling issues.
So would suggest you to for the Stile / WagonR / Estilo
I had tata indica V2 DLS, 2001, first lot of V2, no issues for seven years with nearl 80K kms, with all sort of indian roads. Not even once we faced any issue with respect to reliability.

Sold it to a friend in my company around six months back, brought a Swift. Coincidentally, today morning when me and my mother were driving swift, she noticed some sort of noise from front right shocks. When we were waiting at service station to address this issue, she just rememeberd our good old Indica and made exact statement

"We battered the Indica, without any mercy and we never had an issue atleast for first 5 years, but poor swift with all darling care, we are here in service station"

Old 29th June 2007, 12:06   #22

"We battered the Indica, without any mercy and we never had an issue atleast for first 5 years, but poor swift with all darling care, we are here in service station"

To compare two cars both should be put similar use and then see which is better in terms of reliability, durability and which gives least troubles , cost of repairs etc.
Old 29th June 2007, 12:50   #23

The palio and indica are not far off from each other in terms of ownership experience. while the more finicky/astute users might argue that the palio is miles ahead of the xeta quality-wise, it surely isn't worth the extra lac in cost for a regular user.

palio 1.1 is a good car, with two gremlins - higher cost for what a majority would not perceive as proportional advantages, and lack of engine power.

as for reliability, neither should be an issue. a friend has run 40k in his xeta. runs like a charm. my personal verdict would go to the xeta.
Old 29th June 2007, 22:16   #24

Hey , guys . I mite be asking this in the wrong thread , but am breaking my head over my first car. Had santro and alto on the cards till i took a test drive on a XETA 1.2 in chennai. I felt the car was awesome pretty decent pick up, good suspension, really huge inside, gear shifts were pretty smooth(i had driven a santro to the showroom, was comparable).

I prob will drive arnd 2k kms every month mostly inside the city, say arnd 500 kms on the highways.

Whats ur say guys. help me out
Old 29th June 2007, 22:26   #25

Xeta or santro ? which will be better
Old 30th June 2007, 16:15   #26

hey guys! jus the kind of discussion i was looking for! have been pondering over a car..ranging from a second hand palio to a new swift!! with every1 fed up arnd me, guess have to return to all the car lovers here...

Indica Xeta seems like a real good VFM vehicle to me...can some1 throw some light on the resale price? What should one expect (or not expect) after say, 2-3 yrs?
Old 30th June 2007, 17:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

I just got my WagonR, and if I am given a chance to buy a second car, I will certainly go in for the Xeta. That of course, is based on first experience and test drives; and there are not many people around who have done 50K plus KM on the Xeta. All the owners I know have clocked less than 10K Km, and are very, very very very very very vvery vveeerrrrryy happy with the Xeta.
Of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:27   #28

Hey... I am a newbie here !

I just now got my permanent LMV driving licence. I am 6 ft tall and learned to drive on Santro. I had a similar chaos regarding which car to go with??? Santro, Xeta, Wagon and what not...

I have chosen to go with xeta 1.2 GLG and will be booking it rightaway at the end of this week. Its a superb car with almost all features at much less cost than a car at Rs 5L.

New buyers, try this one out and go for it!!!
Old 17th July 2007, 14:21   #29

Originally Posted by dr_aryan View Post
thanks a lot everone for your help, regarding my previous post. appreciate.
i have narrowed down on indica xeta, and fiat palio.
i wud like to ask you the relaibilty quotient of both the car in terms of truble free drive and ***. trouble free drive because some people have complained about indica getting heated up and left stranded. also that many issues keep cropping up.
xeta looks value for money, i would like to ask is power stearing necessary? because i will save more than 30k without it.
palio also looks value for money in its segment. same reliablity issues?

and amongst both the cars which one is better.

if u rule out both then why and which car will you suggest.

sorry for asking so many questions, im really confused.

p.s. im sorry to have earlier posted in sms lingo, have genuinely tried to avoid this time.
Xeta & Reliable?? Far Shot... This happened to my colleague on his Xeta..

While shifting gears, for some reason his gear did not firmly fall in place with the gear wheel... the gear lever hit back with complete engine force, and hit his hand...

he has been walking around with his wrist fractured for a while now!

This is just one of the experiences that Ive heard..
Old 17th July 2007, 16:35   #30

Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
To Support that, you can count the number of
Vehicles stranded/hoods up, along the road side!

I think most of them would be Indicas/Indicabs.
You should also consider the fact that the Indicas are one of the most sought after cars in its segment, and hence you find lots of them on the road. The problem is all about perception while you buy a car. When you go for a cutie pie like Spark or UVA, you will be indeed too concerned, whether any actions/wrong driving from your part can create a 'scratch' on it. But when you get to drive a home-grown Indica, you decide that "Ahh!! its Tata, and it is meant to take all abuse", and you kill, driving it to the extent that you could.
If you give a little care to the Indica, not even as much as you do for other fellow 'lollypops', it will give you nice returns!!
The Indica is really a great car in its segment, with the best VFM tag, and it is very very reliable too.....
Closed Thread