Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 16:59   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 235
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

out of these you mentioned in my opinion the best is Wagon its has undergone some good changes sply the ugly steering feel has replaced now by a decent one. the car too practical sply in city. Then comes the xing which is aging now and is under replacement due 2008.
The Worst of all the XETA...............its horrible
The pickup is disgusting and even the old diesel one is far better then this car. Go in for the diesel if you intend to buy the tata as this butcher sucks in hell lot of Octane
metropolis is offline  
Old 17th July 2007, 17:15   #32
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,649
Thanked: 2,005 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
The Worst of all the XETA...............its horrible
The pickup is disgusting and even the old diesel one is far better then this car. Go in for the diesel if you intend to buy the tata as this butcher sucks in hell lot of Octane
So how many Xetas have you actually driven? And how much qualifies as a "hell lot of octane"? I am presuming you use octane to mean Petrol. Ok, so how many kms do you think the Xeta runs per liter of petrol in city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARtik View Post
While shifting gears, for some reason his gear did not firmly fall in place with the gear wheel... the gear lever hit back with complete engine force, and hit his hand...

he has been walking around with his wrist fractured for a while now!

This is just one of the experiences that Ive heard..
Your friend must have been real lucky. Otherwise, I thought the whole lever got uprooted and your friend fell through the hole.

On a more serious note a gear may not engage for N no. of reasons. And that can happen with any car. That can not however form a basis for an opinion like 'the car is far from reliable'. In fact you will find much much more severe problems with almost all the cars mentioned by various car owners all across this forum. That includes problems with driveshaft, gearbox, axles etc... Now that is serious. But we do not label those cars as unreliable. And just because your friend could not slot a gear and the lever bounced back (will happen if it fails to slot) you think the car is unreliable? Hilarious, is not it so?

Last edited by Zappo : 17th July 2007 at 17:26.
Zappo is offline  
Old 17th July 2007, 18:08   #33
BHPian
 
balaji_n29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Folks,
The indica XETA is an awesome VFM package. For the money it demands no other car can match. My Father in law owns an Indica XETA and I drive it around whenever I visit them. They are extremently happy with the car. Gives them mileage of around 10-11 in city and 14-15 in highways, all with 100% AC. Trust me its not a bad car. I think its a highly under-rated car. Take a test drive with your family in all the cars and I am sure you family will point their finger to the XETA.

The only issues will be the sluggishness at lower speeds and NVH levels inside the car. But these things can be easily lived with.

Cheers,
Balaji.
balaji_n29 is offline  
Old 17th July 2007, 19:27   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 235
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

well till now I have driven that too ...two brand new ones..............and both of them sound like **** piece of machine..............regd the mileage it fetches only 9 -10 in city. balaji says right.........low end torque is a problem.........
metropolis is offline  
Old 17th July 2007, 19:50   #35
BHPian
 
Nimz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 468
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARtik View Post
Xeta & Reliable?? Far Shot... This happened to my colleague on his Xeta..

While shifting gears, for some reason his gear did not firmly fall in place with the gear wheel... the gear lever hit back with complete engine force, and hit his hand...

he has been walking around with his wrist fractured for a while now!

This is just one of the experiences that Ive heard..
I drive my dad's Xeta whenever I am home. Though it is not slick as for example the Spark it is not bad and I have had no problems in slotting it nor has my dad complained (he drives it daily). I think that was a one off experience and not to be attributed to the car.

The Xeta is a decent car..not the best of the handlers and very comfortable at sub 80 speeds and till date no niggling problems. Just last weekend we just took it and went for a trip covering nearly 400 kms within 20 hours..not a single problem. Decent acceleration for overtaking but runs out of breath after 120 kmph with AC on and 3 people in the car.

And the killer.. this has the best rear seat space in this segment.
Nimz is offline  
Old 17th July 2007, 20:00   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,945
Thanked: 16,632 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
Folks,
The indica XETA is an awesome VFM package. For the money it demands no other car can match. My Father in law owns an Indica XETA and I drive it around whenever I visit them. They are extremently happy with the car. Gives them mileage of around 10-11 in city and 14-15 in highways, all with 100% AC. Trust me its not a bad car. I think its a highly under-rated car. Take a test drive with your family in all the cars and I am sure you family will point their finger to the XETA.
The only issues will be the sluggishness at lower speeds and NVH levels inside the car. But these things can be easily lived with.
Cheers,
Balaji.
Highly under-rated?

Only alto sells higher than the Indica, dont know the figures for Xeta though.
Its only with the team-bhp'ians that Xeta is a bit under-rated. may be cause we tend to research before buying a car.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 17th July 2007, 20:38   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 0 Times
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
So how many Xetas have you actually driven? And how much qualifies as a "hell lot of octane"? I am presuming you use octane to mean Petrol. Ok, so how many kms do you think the Xeta runs per liter of petrol in city?



Your friend must have been real lucky. Otherwise, I thought the whole lever got uprooted and your friend fell through the hole.

On a more serious note a gear may not engage for N no. of reasons. And that can happen with any car. That can not however form a basis for an opinion like 'the car is far from reliable'. In fact you will find much much more severe problems with almost all the cars mentioned by various car owners all across this forum. That includes problems with driveshaft, gearbox, axles etc... Now that is serious. But we do not label those cars as unreliable. And just because your friend could not slot a gear and the lever bounced back (will happen if it fails to slot) you think the car is unreliable? Hilarious, is not it so?
as 'personal' as you might want to take this, the fact remains that not too many people have heard of such issues with most cars of the class these days.. if something to fracture one's hand is hilarious, man your humor is something
really wudnt be surprised if Xeta developed a hole big enough for someone to fall through..

Xeta has many other known problems such as bad wiring, and top them all..horrible service from Tata (atleast in Bangalore)
CARtik is offline  
Old 18th July 2007, 01:42   #38
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,649
Thanked: 2,005 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARtik View Post
as 'personal' as you might want to take this, the fact remains that not too many people have heard of such issues with most cars of the class these days.. if something to fracture one's hand is hilarious, man your humor is something
really wudnt be surprised if Xeta developed a hole big enough for someone to fall through..

Xeta has many other known problems such as bad wiring, and top them all..horrible service from Tata (atleast in Bangalore)
I would suggest you use the search feature on this site. You will hear many more even if you have not earlier. The latest problems were reported from Hyundais... a spate of them within a few months period. And they involved camshafts, gearboxes, axles... what not. All in new cars or at best those with hardly 25-30k on the odo. Besides that we have had a few similar problems in different Marutis. So obviously you need a reality check here. However I won't mark Hyundais as unreliable for that. Essentially you can get a bad specimen in any car.

And, fracture part can happen depending on your hand position on the lever when it gets thrown back. And it will happen in any car when the lever fails to slot in a running car because of incomplete engagement, clutch not fully engaged and such problems. If you think you can term a car unreliable for that then you are interpretting the word 'reliable' wrongly.

I do not need to take things personally mate. I will be the first one to tell anyone as I have done on many other threads on Xeta that there is a problem with the Engine Check Light on this car. Its more of an irritant than a show stopper, but it is there nonetheless. Bangy service with Tata cars are bad, true. Just as it is with Ford and some others. However I object to people making sweeping statements when they have hardly much to back it up with and that too in a thread where someone is asking for a suggestion. He needs meaningful facts than our perception, though we all may have some.

Lastly, you say you won't be surprised if a Xeta develops a hole in the floor pan and the driver falls into it? I am sure you would have heard of that as well. Hmmm...

P.S.: Although you did not clarify the "octane guzzler" part, here is a fact. Tried and tested over a period on long and short hauls with 3 different Xetas. In the typical city grind, with some good driving habits and intermittent AC on (say 60% of the time) Xeta-1.2 easily returns 13 kmpl+. And thats not bad by any stretch of imagination when you compare it with other cars which are even lighter than this one.

Last edited by Zappo : 18th July 2007 at 02:14.
Zappo is offline  
Old 18th July 2007, 15:55   #39
BHPian
 
skandyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte/Blore
Posts: 347
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Highly under-rated?

Only alto sells higher than the Indica, dont know the figures for Xeta though.
Its only with the team-bhp'ians that Xeta is a bit under-rated. may be cause we tend to research before buying a car.
i am sure it is merely your own perception that team-bhpians disapprove of the xeta. not nice to officially speak for the forum without a poll or something.

it is true that there are a lot of indica-haters. the new batch of xetas have come a long way from the older gen ones. if there is apathy or hostility to the indica, it is primarily due to the image it has gained for itself courtesy the early indicas. biases don't die easy.

i assume research means more than just reading a statement like 'xeta is crap!', and includes first hand driving experience of the car. just last weekend, we made a 1000 km trip to sringeri, neighboring places and back to bangalore. i'm sure anybody who's done similar driving in the xeta will vouch for the fact that it is a GOOD car. as good as any other, and still better in many ways.
skandyhere is offline  
Old 18th July 2007, 16:00   #40
BHPian
 
skandyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte/Blore
Posts: 347
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
The Xeta is a decent car..not the best of the handlers and very comfortable at sub 80 speeds Decent acceleration for overtaking but runs out of breath after 120 kmph with AC on and 3 people in the car.
while the xeta is far from perfect (surely justified at that - it gives you good value for the little money it asks), it is unfair to say that the handling is iffy. it handles better than any of the tall boys, and as well as any other small car with the exception of the swift and palio. that's my perception - perhaps shared by the automags (if you believe in them, that is). push it to 140 on straights, and it moves like an arrow.

turn on the AC and see how many small cars take you beyond 120 uncomplainingly.
skandyhere is offline  
Old 18th July 2007, 16:03   #41
BHPian
 
balaji_n29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Highly under-rated?

Only alto sells higher than the Indica, dont know the figures for Xeta though.
Its only with the team-bhp'ians that Xeta is a bit under-rated. may be cause we tend to research before buying a car.
I meant only the XETA and I would be nuts to say the Indica is under-rated .
balaji_n29 is offline  
Old 19th July 2007, 01:27   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 36 Times
Default XETA and the reliability

Hey all,

Looking at the threads here I felt I need to put in my perception and the experience with the India XETA that I own. I had travelled around 10k kms in 11 months around bangalore. This involved few trips of 600kms too. I never had any problem with the driving pleasure it gave me. Trust me I drove XING and WagonR too during the same trip, but far far ahead was this XETA in road controls. At speeds of 120 or above that, XETA was untouchable in terms of road grip. The A/C does take sometime extra compared to XING or WagonR. The seating comfortness that is felt in this XETA is the best part of the car. It jus loads in and in. People sitting feel the most confort feel that one can get in a small car.
Now who is talking about the "XETA as Unreliable Car". Please tell me who has gone to a Hyundai or Maruti showroom to see how many new cars of them are lying in the garage for any repairs. Please dont make one of a instance like the hand being fractured. After driving XETA I know that it needs a bit more effort to change gears compared to WagonR or Santro, but its not that one would break his hand for this. I tell you, if this is the case, then one would break his back after traveling in WagonR or Santro for a long long ride.
anup7649 is offline  
Old 19th July 2007, 10:14   #43
BHPian
 
Nimz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 468
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
while the xeta is far from perfect (surely justified at that - it gives you good value for the little money it asks), it is unfair to say that the handling is iffy. it handles better than any of the tall boys, and as well as any other small car with the exception of the swift and palio. that's my perception - perhaps shared by the automags (if you believe in them, that is). push it to 140 on straights, and it moves like an arrow.

turn on the AC and see how many small cars take you beyond 120 uncomplainingly.
The Xeta is a fine car and as I said we own one and have undertaken many a long trip without a problem.

But... I didnt feel too comfortable cornering at high speeds. Again I have not driven other cars much with the exception of the Spark.. IN that case then the tall boys handling must be worse!!

I Have never touched 140 kmph.. A/C on it reaches 100/110 in no time.. but after that it struggles to cross 120. That has been my experience. Could be with the car too.. Stock car no mods.

@ anup - agree with you. the most comfortable small car to travel in.

But to get back to topic. Yes. The Xeta is reliable!!
Nimz is offline  
Old 19th July 2007, 19:15   #44
BHPian
 
arunpn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nagercoil
Posts: 65
Thanked: Once
Default

I have a petrol indica, its pick up is not that good, but I am told that the new Xeta has a better pick up and also with lots of imorovement, so i am sure it would be a good buy, go for GLG or GLX
arunpn is offline  
Old 20th July 2007, 09:37   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,264
Thanked: 1,329 Times
Default

I had a Indica 2000 LEi Petrol (almost V2 but not quite) and it gave me impeccable service! I used it biweekly in 2000/01 on Mumbai-Pune trips at steady 140 km/hr plus with 2 aboard. Remember, this was when the Expressway (Ghats section) was still incomplete and the roads were horrendous! Ask any Mumbai-Pune 'commuter' about the Ghats section and they will shudder if they love their cars :-) even a jot.

Anyway, even though it was used VERY roughly, it gave me sterling service on roads and my driving style which would have made any Maruti or Hyundai fall apart. Reliability was and I suspect is still top-notch. Don't go by the number of Indicabs stranded on the road. They are trashed by multiple drivers and abysmal maintenance standards.

I now have an Xeta 1.2 GLS which is also super for the price except for a lack of low-end torque which means that switching off the AC (briefly) may become a habit while overtaking or on upward slopes. But really, I have driven Santros, 800s and Wagon-Rs and they are all like that! The only exception was the Alto 1.1 VXi which was a pocket rocket.

In a nutshell, Xeta is a great car for the money and reliable too! Plastics could be better but hey, do you want to sit with your knees tucked under your chin in an Alto (with a better quality dashboard/plastics etc) or relax in interior space on par with the Esteem/Accent/Fiesta etc? :-)

Also read the recent thread in Hyundai quality issues.

Hope I have been able to help!
itwasntme is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A reliable Indica Xeta - CNG?? ECU changed 7 times in 15,000km Deeps Long-Term Ownership Reviews 35 12th July 2013 15:23
Tata Indica e-xeta petrol with 17.1 kmpl and e-xeta LPG sidindica The Indian Car Scene 7 9th July 2011 12:39
Indica Xeta - First Experience-How Xeta won the race nirmalkumar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 12 20th April 2008 16:41
Indica Xeta LPG or Indica Turbo Diesel?? nobreaks Hatchbacks 12 1st September 2006 23:29
Indica Turbo or Indica Xeta BNB Hatchbacks 6 23rd April 2006 11:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks