Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 13th May 2009, 21:21   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
150? Didn't realise it was capable of that speed. The max I have ever gone to is 120 and it was straining a bit by then. But it still felt fairly stable for that speed.

I am arguably the oldest UVA owner around.

I could never get my UVA go above 120. As straightdrive said, my UVA also starts panting. I wonder how maaask can do 150+. Only guess is because of his mods. But I really dont comment on how accurate his FE figures are. I have got about 11-12 (in BLR city/ with AC on 50% of the times) with rash driving, his figures are mind boggling
EatMyDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 09:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyDust View Post
I am arguably the oldest UVA owner around.

I could never get my UVA go above 120. As straightdrive said, my UVA also starts panting. I wonder how maaask can do 150+. Only guess is because of his mods. But I really dont comment on how accurate his FE figures are. I have got about 11-12 (in BLR city/ with AC on 50% of the times) with rash driving, his figures are mind boggling
Ever since I installed the Scangauge II on my car, I have been very conscious about the way I drive. For city driving, the trick is to use engine braking most of the time and just roll and not sprint, at the traffic signals. Also, my gear shifts are normally around 2000 rpm. I keep the AC knob at two notches lower than the max. The cooling is still good but the compressor does cut-off frequently rather than being on constantly. I do not keep switching the AC on and off because that contributes to a little extra load on the engine at every start of the compressor.

On highways, the trick is to keep the engine load constant as much as possible when in a straight line. The Scangauge keeps giving me a feedback on this (I keep it at 69-70%). Once you have attained a 110-120 speed, ease back on the throttle just a little and you can see a marked change in the fuel being consumed. On highways, I have noticed that the ideal speed for the best FE is around 100 kmph.

Honestly, its just competitive fun with myself trying to better my fuel efficiency with the Scangauge giving me a constant feedback. Some of my drives are for the best FE, while others are for best speeds.

Just a note - With Speed petrol in my car earlier, I had a lesser efficiency and normal unleaded + System G did improve it a bit.

On the speeds the car can do - I could definately feel lesser 'strain' on the engine after I switched to synthetic oil. The effect of the K&N, I can't comment because I installed it within days of buying the car.
the_maassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 09:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Ever since I installed the Scangauge II --
Excuse me for my ignorance but what is this Scangauge II? Any photographs of the same. How much was the cost?

Does it doubles up as speedometer too? In my spark I have got speedometer at middle which is quite inconvenient to me.

System G is a petrol additive? How much it costed to you? Does it also suppose to clean injectors?

Last edited by sparkguy : 14th May 2009 at 09:55.
sparkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 10:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Excuse me for my ignorance but what is this Scangauge II? Any photographs of the same. How much was the cost?

Does it doubles up as speedometer too? In my spark I have got speedometer at middle which is quite inconvenient to me.

System G is a petrol additive? How much it costed to you? Does it also suppose to clean injectors?
Scangauge II - ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool
Ordered online and shipped to me for a total of $169.95. Just look at the website and it will tell you what all it can display.

System G - IFTEX- fuel additives
Yes, it is a petrol additive. There is a huge thread on the forum about it. People have good things to say about it. It does clean the injectors. It also turns out to be cheaper that premium fuel.
Old 14th May 2009, 10:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Patiencewins have you changed to synthetic oil, K&N, plugs as said in your previous post? If so what is the difference.

thanks,
Raihan
I have not changed to synthetic oil. I am using K&N stock replacement filter and I am happy with the outcome - the low end driveability has improved considerably and the car is a little more peppy in all gears. The only downside is that the noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) would increase a little (considering the super NVH of getz, but i like the sound with K&N.

I do not have any plans to change the plugs as it would not make difference in performance to a slighly modded car.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 11:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
I agree. I have been a UVA owner for close to an year now. Although it might feel 'heavy' (and it is heavy) while accelerating, I have never felt that the power is inadequate. In fact, I find it to be a wonderful highway drive - spacious, comfortable, powerful AC, enough power on the tap to overtake if I need to (once you know the response, you know how to plan overtakes). I've driven it at 150+ kmph with 2 people and regularly drive at 120-130 with 4 people. Roads in our country make me uncomfortable if I try to go above 150!

I average around 13+ kmpl in the city with AC and have clocked 18+ kmpl on my highway drives. Regular highway drives (with AC and some sprints) average at 15+ kmpl.

I have a stock replacement K&N, Mobil1 synthetic and Iridium spark plugs. I run normal unleaded with System G.
I agree when you say 140. I have taken my UVA to these speeds and it just doesnt drift. It feels stable and doesnt lack power. The FE i am getting is 13+ with 2500 Kms on ODO.

The lack of power is only felt when you try to compare it with i10 who are ligher. Else, Getz has slightly more pickup from UVA.

It's a very tough decision to decide between UVA and Getz, but my vote goes for UVA for reasons
1. More cabin space
2. Better looks (subjective)
3. Smoother ride (i felt)
4. Cashless offer from GM

PS:- The question was asked on 6th June 2007.
rapidsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 11:30   #37
BHPian

I wonder what the original poster ended up buying
Old 16th May 2009, 14:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
+1 to that, my Getz GLS gives me 11 kms/ltr in Bangalore with intermittent use of A/C. Only downside is the the lack of power as others have mentioned.

Getz owners: Any solutions to the above problem without burning a hole in your pocket?

Patiencewins have you changed to synthetic oil, K&N, plugs as said in your previous post? If so what is the difference.

thanks,
Raihan
I faced the same problem as yours. I went for an FFE from viper. I have posted the details in another thread. I ended up using just the headers from viper. Rest all is stock. I noticed a very good improvement in driveability, especially the pick up in the low-rpm range.
PaulBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
150? Didn't realise it was capable of that speed. The max I have ever gone to is 120 and it was straining a bit by then. But it still felt fairly stable for that speed.
Yes it is. I have touched 160 on the Mumbai Pune Highway multiple times and also on the Amravati Akola (new 4 lane) 2 years back when the car was just 520 kms old. Also done it on the Baroda-Ahm expressway. I have never seen engine pant at any stage on the highway. I would like to point that the car is very stable at these speeds and you dont feel as if the car is flying.Also I regularly get 14 km/lt mileage with 100% a/c usage in mumbai and 15+ with 100% a/c usage on the highway with speeds not less than 100 km/hr. The car has been around for 2 years with an ODO reading 30k. Many thought the car would die, but i have seen the getz die much before and that too even without a model upgrade. So in today's scenario, the U-VA offers much better resale than the getz.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 07:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Yes it is. I have touched 160 on the Mumbai Pune Highway multiple times and also on the Amravati Akola (new 4 lane) 2 years back when the car was just 520 kms old. Also done it on the Baroda-Ahm expressway. I have never seen engine pant at any stage on the highway. I would like to point that the car is very stable at these speeds and you dont feel as if the car is flying.Also I regularly get 14 km/lt mileage with 100% a/c usage in mumbai and 15+ with 100% a/c usage on the highway with speeds not less than 100 km/hr. The car has been around for 2 years with an ODO reading 30k. Many thought the car would die, but i have seen the getz die much before and that too even without a model upgrade. So in today's scenario, the U-VA offers much better resale than the getz.

The top-speed of the U-Va is 152km/h, and it does strain once it's past 120. You need to drive another car in the same range to understand the difference (say the Swift/Ritz/Beat etc.). I haven't taken the car much above that (maybe till 128-130) but the UVA didn't feel as if it was flying, it actually felt reasonably planted, so I'd agree with you on that.

Please share your ownership experience with us, I quite like the car due to it's practicality and there are very few ownership reports (maybe 3) on teambhp.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 10:53   #41
BHPian

The first time when I had to decide between UVA and Getz Prime it was difficult (2+ years back) but I got to buy Getz Prime 1.3 for some fact which I liked more than UVA

1. Showroon guys -
Chevrolet - dumb guys, they do not know how to talk
Hyundai - aswesome, period

2. Looks
UVA - good looking
Getz Prime - better (looks for an individual are subjective, I know that)

3. Performance

Getz beat UVA hands down, no comparision. Pickup is awesome, very stable at 130+ speeds on Chennai-Bangalore highway

4. Fule Efficiency

UVA a tad better, I can live with that

5. Space

Almost same, Getz a tad more

6. Handling and drivability

Almost equal

7. I can see not more than a few UVAs on Bangalore roads and lots more of Getz Prime. UVA hardly sells so I do not agree UVA would have more resale value.
shuvadips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 00:43   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
have never seen engine pant at any stage on the highway.
I think its important to accept each car for what it is. The UVA is a great city hatch, but equally, NO road burner. If you want to state that the car wasn't running out of breath at 160 kph, you are only misguiding your own self. Cars with more power & torque (e.g. Laura 1.9) start running out of breath at 150 kph.

My Jeep tops out at 90 kph, and I'm STILL proud of her. She ain't built for highway runs, and is instead, excellent off the road. Again, lets accept each car for what it is.

Quote:
So in today's scenario, the U-VA offers much better resale than the getz.
Pointless to discuss the resale value of Getz vis a vis the UVA. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:40   #43
BHPian

Cool Hatchback choice- UVA, my experiece after 9000 KMs

Dear Friends,
All of you have given very positive and useful comments on these cars. Ram is right when about resale of Getz better as Hyundai has been around longer than younger GM. It is actually tough for GM to prove its cars with veterans like Hyundai, Tata, Maruti and Ford.

Last August, after 3 month of survey i chose UVA and have now driven close to 9000 kms. I guess a buyer's choice finally boils down between some bit of logic, some bit of taste & preference and last & important concern of budget.

First & foremost i did not buy the car with resale in my mind. Come on,when i am buying a vehicle that probably will stay with me for at least 3-4 years(which is rather too early for a middle & salaried guy like me- my maruti is 10 year old and running perfectly) should resale really be a point to consider? I might as well buy a couple of gold biscuits; but can't help it, we conservative Indians generally have this outlook and also we follow the most selling & visible brands only, after all its a safer choice.
I had tried Punto (my first choice) but the TD and attitude of Tata guys put me off plus it is not a performance car for city it is the slowest hatchback, interior are cheap.
In my case, sales staff of hyundai and GM behaved opposite to what Shuvadips felt. Hyundai did not have an i20 for TD, no Getz (i was told it is being phased out) but all the GM guys were more cheerful,decent and lot more patient with me (Autovikas, Dwarka).
Among the contenders that time, Hyundai i20, Getz, Punto, Swift was the next close but waiting time of 5 weeks put me off (don't mention the sales staff at Marutis, they behave exactly like a Govt dept.) plus when i stepped inside, Swift is less spacious than UVA though it appears broader from outside, plus its funky shape may suit a youngster better than a family guy. It does have the best of engines and indeed is Swift (had it come in my younger days surely i would have bought it. But, Finally

for Rs.4 lac base version having AC Heater and front power windows and power of 76 HP, i found UVA a better deal than all others with a larger cabin space, 3 yr maintenance pack, besides IT DOES HAVE LOOKS, they are few yes, but every time i drive by, people do give a glance to this car.
Performance: As i said, being a family man, i do not zip around at 100+ but once in a while on highways i have driven at 100 which is a high speed for Indian roads (mind you, anyway, it is above the speed limits of our road) and at this speed i have full confidence with my family in the back, 1100 kg of car solidly grounded to the road without any noise in the cabin; you hardly feel the engine or even AC sound inside!
Power: What more can i say than the fact that i have come back from Manali after driving up the 13000 ft Rohtang Pass few days ago without any slightest hint of a problem with a FE of 12 in hills, and 15 on highway! believe me. The experts will tell you the path to Rohtang pass has not improved, most of it is still stone and slush paved. With my family (wife and two children) i have climbed the steep angles and managed through the crowd of taxis, sumos, innovas trying to overtake but not once my car stopped. I have plans to drive to Leh as & when time and my employer permits.

This is the picture of my UVA at Rohtang Pass and near Manali, tell me, is it not looking smart!
Attached Thumbnails
Which is better Getz Prime 1.3 or Aveo UVA-100_4707_00-large.jpg  

Which is better Getz Prime 1.3 or Aveo UVA-100_4788-large.jpg  

Which is better Getz Prime 1.3 or Aveo UVA-100_4653-large.jpg  

Last edited by pradeep-ivon : 7th July 2010 at 17:58.
pradeep-ivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:58   #44
BHPian

Personal experience of Getz has been very good. No trouble at all, except tyre wear which could have been due to poor wheel alignment. AC is good, good for city driving and very minimal rattle noises. I have done about 35K in 4 years. The FE is 10 in city and about 14 highway. My vote goes for Getz.
msd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 18:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep-ivon View Post
It is actually tough for GM to prove its cars with veterans like Hyundai, Tata, Maruti and Ford.
Exactly. GM cars are reliable, stable and safe. And UVA is spacious too.

But again, the perception of the brand is poor. It would take time to establish in India, especially after the past bad names.

Seems they are trying to achieve. Lets see. These cars are doing consistant ~400per month.

Sometimes I even wonder how the company is sustaining this sales
I mean, will that be a profitable sales? Will it help their sales chart or build image? No clue.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote