Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 7th June 2007, 23:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

ALready read all the posts in the ICE thread for Swift and I found that except for the front speakers, my choice was right, so I changed the fronts to JBL as well. No components, amps for me ->

HU : Pioneer 7950

Speakers : Rear :

JBL 6 Inch X 9 Inch 3 way Car Loudspeaker - GTO937
Front :

JBL 6-1/2 Inch (160mm) 3-Way Loudspeaker - GTO637

Since I have included the accessories cost in the loan(not too much spare cash), MGA it is, for most off the stuff.

After reading the reviews here and discussing with some people, I struck Teflon off my list.

In my case, deciding the car was easy - actually I am buying the engine - Would have bought the Palio if it had come first with this engine. It is the rest of the stuff that was complicated.

The tyre guy says that Pilot Precedas are not available in size 180 and that size 190 can be mounted on stock rim(5J). But Michelin manual for the tyre says 5.5J as the minimum width. That means buying alloys as well which will in turn, break my already streched budget. Still in a quandary about this.

Sunfilm will be Llumar-Platinum. Dealer quoting 4.5k for this. Should I strike it off my list? Where can I get the same done for a better price?
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 23:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

The only bad experience in the whole process(until now) has been arranging the loan from SBI. I decided to go with them as they provide funding on the On-road cost and also lowest rate of interest.

But the experience has been sour, I was made to do lot of running around, had to deal with incompetent staff who gave conflicting information, an arrogant lady who grants appointments and a chap who made me walk around for a XEROX, after paying close to 3K as processing fee !! The bank is still stuck in stone ages, though they make pretensions to the contrary.
Old 8th June 2007, 00:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
The tyre guy says that Pilot Precedas are not available in size 180 and that size 190 can be mounted on stock rim(5J). But Michelin manual for the tyre says 5.5J as the minimum width. That means buying alloys as well which will in turn, break my already streched budget. Still in a quandary about this.
Well 180 & 190 are not available because these sizes are not manufactured for fitment on cars anywhere in the world Correct sizes are 185 & 195.

I too would recommend that you not fit 195's on your stock rims unless you want to upgrade to 5.5 or 6J alloys pretty soon. On stock rims 185's should be a good choice.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 01:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only bad experience in the whole process(until now) has been arranging the loan from SBI. I decided to go with them as they provide funding on the On-road cost and also lowest rate of interest.

But the experience has been sour, I was made to do lot of running around, had to deal with incompetent staff who gave conflicting information, an arrogant lady who grants appointments and a chap who made me walk around for a XEROX, after paying close to 3K as processing fee !! The bank is still stuck in stone ages, though they make pretensions to the contrary.

kuttappan, glad that you have bought a fantastic piece of machine, dont worry about the SBI incompetents, at least they are not crooks. keep the faith & have a great time (in spite of bangalore traffic).

About Michelin PPs, my friend has them on his Vtec & boy, do they handle ? I really dont know about the life of the tyre, but i would trust my life with the grip that tyre provides.
cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 09:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't worry about this. One-time hassle. Wayyyy better than the crooks and con-men and goondas employed by some of the private banks.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 23:06   #21
BHPian

He He Kuttapan , U were in same spot as i was around a month ago , ask ShuvD and he will tell u how i drove him crazy ! I got so restless that i ended up buying a swift Ldi ( i had booked a swift petrol), as it was readily avaialable , not that i regret my decision .After driving that car i find my uncle's NHC a bit boring ( no offense pls) , so i guess u understand what i am trying to tell u here !!!
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 13:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would have bought an LDI too(they promised delivery in 3-4 weeks, perhaps lesser if I actually booked it), but I was adamant that I wanted a Vdi with ABS.

So the wait continues. Nevertheless, I drive my car in my sleep and the first service is now over.
Old 28th June 2007, 21:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Okay guys, finally I have my car.

It is an Iridium gold Vdi with ABS. The sales experience at Pratham motors was very good - I was able to develop a rapport with them during the long waiting period. Their manager was also very approachable and helpful.

I took a day's leave and got involved in the entire delivery process. From PDI, road test to fitment of accessories. I could not let my baby out of sight for a moment . Finally got her out at 7.p.m on 26th, went straight to Sai Iyengar and changed footwear(Michelin Xm1). Did a fairly long ring road run the first day itself.

My observations regarding the car -

1. Engine sound seems more than other vehicles, especially when extra throttle is applied on inclines. The diesel clatter is very very evident. Seems there is a rattlesnake inside somewhere - I can hear it perform occassionally. Just joking, but there are rattles here and there. it's god's way of punishing me for sneering at a particularly loud new Indica the other day. he must have thought, Ok let me give an Indica version of Swift for this bugger

2. Vibrations in the gear lever. Maybe it's just me, but I think it is a bit too much. Let me see if it comes down.

3. 60/55 for headlamps do not cut it. It needs 100/90 badly. Service guys say that it has to be done outside, who can do a proper job in Bangalore?

4. Yesterday I went to Maddur coffee day and I could feel a distinct vibration in the seats - thigh area. around 1800-1900 rpm in 5th gear. Any idea what might be the cause?

Now for the good part - Already done close to 500km in 2 days(my doctor prescribed 200kms a day - to relieve stress). Mileage is a little more than 16. 100% a/c and no switching off at signals. about 150 on highways, rest in city - peak and non-peak traffic.

The first scratch happened today when the careles pump attendant female used the dispenser carelessly. Small one , but it was on my heart.

ICE setup performs good(see previous post for details) - but the connections involved splicing wires and using 1/2 kg of insulation tape. Why the hell could they not use proper connectors?

Need to complete another 500km in double quick time and finish off the first service. More updates later.

Side note - Saw a new Black VDi ABS in Marathhalli area couple of days back, the dealer was Muneer cars, Hospet. Maybe the dealers in small towns will have lower number of bookings and therefore lower waiting periods. Worth a try, for those who want a Vdi soon.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th June 2007 at 14:23. Reason: Only two smilies are allowed per post
Old 28th June 2007, 23:28   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Okay guys, finally I have my car.

4. Yesterday I went to Maddur coffee day and I could feel a distinct vibration in the seats - thigh area. around 1800-1900 rpm in 5th gear. Any idea what might be the cause?
First of all, congratulations. Nice car.

I see you love long drives to CCD's? So how about one this saturday? Late night since thats when the traffic is least?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 10:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

i still dont understand how you manged to get the car with ABS. also can abs be installed on cars which dont have them? mclaren what do you think? and hey kuttappan, perhaps you must start a thread on new car test drives with your car, just like i did with mine! enjoy!! and 16+ is a great mileage with 100% ac. but i see most driving has been done on highways. please dont rev the car too much beyond 2k rpm. i find the same vibrations in seat area in second gear, but not in other gears. strange things !!

mods could we close this thread so kuttappan can begin another innings!!?
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 10:34   #26
Team-BHP Support

hey congratz dude.. finally getting sleep at night eh.. enjoy the drive

jaggu
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 10:55   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

You can get it done outside of MASS if you can get hold of the necessary parts. Though I guess no showroom will appreciate taking this trouble. Besides, what are the service manual, workshop manuals & google for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggu
finally getting sleep at night eh.
I guess he must be finishing his 3rd service by now and planning for a Turbo upgrade
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 11:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Sleep has left me, as all I can think of while sleeping is whether to get JBL O637 for the front speakers instead

Currently I ogle at all the Swifts that I see on the road, some of you on the forum must have been my victims .

Discovering TBhp has been a great soother, reading through the material here helps me take my mind off the car. Sorry for the rant, guys !
And I thought I was alone! ...
ceebeezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 11:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The only bad experience in the whole process(until now) has been arranging the loan from SBI. I decided to go with them as they provide funding on the On-road cost and also lowest rate of interest..
For all those who want to avoid SBI but want funding on OTR prices - UTI Bank offers the same. So now we have choice!
I know this post is in the wrong section but I thought it relevant so that people do not need to lose sleep over SBI!
ceebeezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 11:33   #30
BHPian

My hearty congratulations kuttapan.

Hellcat

Last edited by Hellcat : 29th June 2007 at 11:38.
Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote