Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 29th June 2007, 12:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Congrats kuttappan, enjoy your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
hey congratz dude.. finally getting sleep at night eh.. enjoy the drive

jaggu
I think his sleepless nights just got a little longer.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 13:14   #32
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
My observations regarding the car -

1. Engine sound seems more than other vehicles, especially when extra throttle is applied on inclines. The diesel clatter is very very evident.

2. Vibrations in the gear lever. Maybe it's just me, but I think it is a bit too much. Let me see if it comes down.

[...]

4. Yesterday I went to Maddur coffee day and I could feel a distinct vibration in the seats - thigh area. around 1800-1900 rpm in 5th gear. Any idea what might be the cause?
I am not sure what is causing the engine/gear lever vibration, but I suggest you wait till the car has run in before taking any action, if necessary.

I recently saw a Swrift VDi in Mumbai on the Eastern Express Highway. The guy saw my Santro closing in on the rear and promptly accelerated, probably after shifting to 3rd. I observed a heavy puff of black smoke from the exhaust. I don't know whether this is normal or not for a diesel, but I definitely would lose sleep about it if I were the owner. My suggestion is to use only quality diesel from a reputed bunk and if premium diesels are recommended, use those; they are less likely to be adulterated.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 13:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how my wife is bearing with me !
You should be more worried about how your dealer is bearing with you!

Congrats on delivering your new baby.

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th June 2007 at 13:52.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 14:22   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
probably after shifting to 3rd. I observed a heavy puff of black smoke from the exhaust.
Haan, third is where all the juice is. Its worth the squeeze. Black smoke is common with the latest gen CRDi's/CRDe's/Dicor's too. In some cases it gets worse with the use of premium diesels or by going to stage 3 on a petrified blue box.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 18:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all.

@GeekSrik - Don't even think of adding ABS outside the factory. First, you will not get the parts required(ABS is worth it's weight in Gold at Maruti) - and who has the experience of fitting these? Would you trust any one else with such a critical thing? I would not.
Also, my funda of running in is a bit different, so I use the 2000-3000 rpm range occassionally. Too much sissying will make the car a pussycat, but a tiger is what I am expecting.

@esteem_lover - you are right ! I was driving till 1.a.m. in the night the first 2 days and then listening to music, configuring things etc. Wifey asked me to sleep in the car itself ! Yesterday I had to sleep, because the lack of sleep was telling on me.

One big issue that I forgot to tell - The reverse gear does not engage sometimes. Will ask them to check during first service. It is just a couple of days away, anyway.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 19:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

kuttapan, i was asking if maruti itself (say through some dealer or at factory itself) would fit the ABS onto cars that dont have it. i think they must do the same for airbags as well.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 19:42   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats!

Some pics would be nice, what say?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 19:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

About fitting ABS for cars example Swift VXI or VDI I had asked MUL senior tech guy and also mechanic at BIMAL casually while talking with them last year. Here is what they told:

Its possible but its not worth fitting ABS at all because it would cost may be more than 30,000 rs. because they have to change many stuffs (I can't remember the parts they said) for every wheel and also to make sure ABS indicator is connected and EBD distribution happens on all wheels etc.. it needs lot of expertize as well and almost impossible to make like factory ABS version.

They told simple solution If person wants ABS sell his present car and buy the car with ABS as stock!

I feel same advice now also good unless mechanics are trained now to fit ABS.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 19:53   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Too much sissying will make the car a pussycat, but a tiger is what I am expecting.

Wifey asked me to sleep in the car itself ! Yesterday I had to sleep, because the lack of sleep was telling on me.

One big issue that I forgot to tell - The reverse gear does not engage sometimes. Will ask them to check during first service. It is just a couple of days away, anyway.

A man after my own habits.

Don't worry, not only wives. Parents, friends, gf's also talk the same way.

The reverse gear problem exists on most cars these days. With time it will get better.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 19:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

@Mclaren. Tied up this saturday, we will do it some other time.
Old 1st July 2007, 21:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Measured mileage for another 250 kms. Purely city driving - many short runs, stop-go-traffic and 100% a/c(Hell, it's a diesel).

The mileage is a measly 14.6. Will do a pure highway run soon.

Btw, I am getting increasingly uncomfortable with the seat. I can never get that perfect seating position, so I am always fine tuning it, to no avail.
I have never felt this in cars I have driven extensively(Zen, Palio) - means I never even thought about the seat while driving. Maybe I will try using pillows. Any other ideas?

The front AUTO power window switch too seems to have a mind of it's own, does not work in auto mode consistantly. Don't know what I am doing wrong here. Anyone else faced this?
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

So everyone is comfortable in their Swifts? I tried sitting on a thin pillow, but didnt help too much, so I ditched it. I am getting desperate here. Any pointers from anyone?

Close to completing 1000km(in one week), will take the car for service tomorrow. Mileage hovering between 16-17. New noises have started coming, somewhere from behind the car.
Old 4th July 2007, 12:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congrates Kuttapan, anyways its not just you who had sleepless nights, include me in that list but it lasted just for week after finalizing the after market rubbers, alloys and ICE as i have to wait for atleast 4 more months *YAHNnnnniiiiiiinnnnnnggggg*.
Just started the process of finance.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 14:32   #44
BHPian

I guess there must be something more to this...
I have booked a Vxi ABS on 18 june...

Was told that i will have to wait for 2 months....
It just seems soooooo long...
In the meanwhile i have consulted with the ICE gurus & finalized the system same as kuttapan...
Have decided to go for art leather... Will go out some day when its not pouring outside and check out the stuff available in the shops around and the gsport outlets...
Any tips on how to handle these waiting days???

P.S. These days i seem to be spending more time on TBHP than on other work... Does this change over time
swiftcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 15:13   #45
Team-BHP Support

seating issue: fiddle fiddle fiddle with settings and finally you will find a comfy one. i also took some time after climbing from iKON, and yes for city i use one step close for leg length for better visibility playing wrc

yes kuttapan drive her as normal and no need for any pussy footing

mileage is very good indeed and i dont get anything above 16 in city, yeah my drive is in the worst possible timings. which brand of fuel are you using?

auto window wind, well you have to hold her down for a sec or two and will work fine, short press will not activate the auto wind down
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote