Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 14th June 2007, 21:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

ok, i confess, i am considering both these cars too now. i ve given a deadline to maruti to tell me (atleast commit to me a date) by when the car will be there - sx4. took a TD of both stile 1.6 and aveo 1.2 today at office. felt better overall with aveo uva.

by tomorrow evening maruti tells me whats the status properly or i go over the weekend and take back the booking for good.

next step is to book either the 1.6 or the 1.2 uva. chevy and tata were extremely aggressive in bringing the car to a TD for me (once again though), arguably i know 1.6 has a bad bad resale value.

i dont want to look at any car other than these two for other reasons. the 1.6 will be for power, 1.2 will be for space, ease of drive and quietness, overall comfort. i know its costlier at 5.94 with abs, but it comes with abs atleast.i know the uva gives 12-13 with ac, while getz 1.3 doest go that far. otherwise i would ve looked at that too.

so 1.6 at 4.89 is obviously better than 1.2 at 5.94. i have a severe leg pain and i ve to drive a car which is easy on the clutch, which the uva is, but not palio. i am not at all confused, and i want to complete the purchase in one week flat on any of these two cars IF i fully cancel the sx4 tomorrow.

now you can all throw up your thoughts once again. sorry i had to post this thread, but hopefully this ll be the last 'i want a car kinda thread' from me for sometime.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 22:13   #17
BHPian

If you're that sure, go buy the U-VA. It isnt a bad car; it's specs doesnt feel VFM, from an enthusiast stand-point. However, numbers arent everything; driving experience is important. Have an extended test drive to satisfy yourself, and book the vehicle. Cheers!
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 22:29   #18
BHPian

Talking

Hey hey - welcome (back) aboard GeekSreek

Just kidding but as you may know there are quite a few folks from Bangalore itself (at lest 3-4) who are looking at 1.6 stile vs. U-VA 1.2 (LS though in my case due to budget constraints).
Some are considering Swift and the Spark too.
I guess i'll see you in the palio or U-VA or Spark thread then.

FYI: I am yet to take my TD on the u-va but i'll surely keep you guys posted on my experience. (and sorry Nimz, EMD - i owe you guys my trial runs on the 1.6 stile - will get to it soon.)

Cheers mate!
sithon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 23:13   #19
BHPian

With so many manufacturers venturing in India and launching new car models, resale will not be of any significance untill or unless the car is an absolute crap.

Any new model launched today is phased out after app. 5 years and thats the time when normally a person who has bought a car would like to sell it so you can imagine for yourself as to what price you can get for a phased out / discontinued model.

However Marutis generally maintain good resale value no matter what but again there are certain Marutis which flopped miserably - Verna, baleno and the new Estillo.

Now coming to your query ... Chevy is going great guns in marketing, promotion and *** but i expect Fiats to gain momentum once they launch new models but again with TATA alongside i doubt if Fiat will have full authority.

Fiats are good and Chevys are VFM cars so you decide what you want.

Hope it helps.

Cheers !!
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 07:28   #20
BHPian

@sithon: Do it quick, da. I will make a decision on sunday! So, can i expect the posts by saturday night?

(Reminds me of my manager shouting in my ears, no offence lol!)
EatMyDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 11:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

One thing I can't understand is why do you wanna downgrade from a nice loaded C segment sedan to a sparsely equipped B segment hatch. If you can't get the SX4 delivered, there are plenty of other choices... NHC/Fiesta/Aveo etc.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 13:39   #22
BHPian

@ Sithon - we waited and waited for your review.. now we both may go the GM way and if Fiat wants to know the reason why, they know whom to go after

Jokes apart. The Stile is there.. a performance vehicle and one has to go in with your eyes open. GeekSrik having had a Fiat should not have an issue with this.

UVa - one work to describe it is "sophisticated". May not zoom to 60 in 6 seconds but it has a a very refined feel to it. I did a TD with 4 people and full AC and felt a lag in the 3rd and 4th gears (reminded me of the Stile 1.1!!!). BUt its very nice and comfy. If I had a wife, kids and parents at home and had to go to the Leela for dinner. The UVA would fit right up there..
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 12:46   #23
BHPian

lol @ Nimz
Actually i just finished writing up the report and posting it in the u-va-spark,palio thread - it shud be there as soon it gets checked by the mods ( please help expedite it for ppl seem to be waiting for a report from me to make a choice and purchase )
On a serious note though, Nimz - i am leaning towards the u-va too. See all my details in my report.
Old 16th June 2007, 14:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithon View Post
i just finished writing up the report and posting it in the u-va-spark,palio thread
Great report sithon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithon View Post
On a serious note though, Nimz - i am leaning towards the u-va too. See all my details in my report.
And why so? And whenever u TD it, make the engine work hard in 3rd gear; tell us what happens?
EatMyDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 17:16   #25
Team-BHP Support

no offense to fiat guys but aveo should fetch better resale due to a newer gen car and better a.s.s
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 20:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
no offense to fiat guys but aveo should fetch better resale due to a newer gen car and better a.s.s
Agree on the Resale value, but for A**, Fiat-Tata is as good as GM!
In fact, Tata has far more Service centers countywide than GM.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 21:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Agree on the Resale value, but for A**, Fiat-Tata is as good as GM!
In fact, Tata has far more Service centers countywide than GM.
After sales service does not depend only on the number of service centers.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 21:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
After sales service does not depend only on the number of service centers.
No. of Service centers is a big factor in A**.
For example, if I am based in a place like Shimoga in Karnataka, I need a Service Centre for my Car!
Tata has a SC in Shimoga, but GM doesn't!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 21:26   #29
BHPian

i'd agree that the number of service stations does make a difference but thats mostly if you are going outside your city.
In Bangalore - GM has 2 (or 3?) dealers while Fiat has 3 - manipal, concorde, prerana and i think each of them have a service station too. Maruti has few more dealers than these 2 but several (in every nook and corner) service stations.
Within the city, with 24-hour on road service it should not matter but if you are travelling and ur GM/Fiat car has a problem in a place like Shimoga hmm......
Old 17th June 2007, 15:24   #30
BHPian

To buy an otherwise mediocre car, for its good resale value is like- to stop living life for the fear of death. So buy a car that is a good car in the first place.
huntrz is offline   Reply With Quote