Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 13th June 2007, 21:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Resale of Aveo 1.2 LT and Palio Stile 1.6 - what would it fetch?

hello all,

though this post is not strictly to buy a car, i would want to know the resale values (in future) of a 3-4 yr old Aveo UVA and 3-4 yr old palio stile 1.6.

the current OTR in bangalore is 5.95 for uva, and 4.89 for stile 1.6, in about 3-4 yrs time and about 50k kms of distance covered, what possibly could the same two cars be sold for at that time?

the reason for this query is as follows

- the current resale of a retro palio 1.6 which has finished the same amount of distance and tenure is only 1.2-1.5 lacs

- there is no data on aveo uva resales, though the chevy resale is perceived as bad as fiat.

i need to get from you an opinion on this matter.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 22:22   #2
BHPian

Hi GeekSreek,
Wouldnt this be a purely perception based discussion?

It would depend on how well both the companies do in India.
IMHO, I see the way GM has been setting up their act so far and they are far more aggressive (at least in this year) than Fiat (who may hopefully get aggressive next year). As a potential new car buyer, i have been comparing these 2 cars and if i look at it now -i could say probably GM seems to be more "concerned and focused" to the indian market/consumer - but thats just me and thats just based on the past few months.

Now what happens next year - with Linea coming out could change the scene more towards Fiat (and i do want that to happen! ) .

Then from 2009 onwards till the 5 year time period of 2012, it would really depend on the popularity/perception in the market based on our/indian needs and factors (F.E, A.S.S, "status" symbol feel! etc etc).
I am not sure if we can speculate much on this (though i too would like to know the answer to this question you've posted ...)

Btw, havent you taken the Sx4 ? is this just a curiousity question or r u buying another one... lol.
cheers
sithon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 23:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sriky, It is high time you stop worrying about FE, Resale etc and buy a Car you like!

You won't get a ideal Car with all the goodies in it, you have to compromise somewhere! Prioritise your needs and go for the Car which fulfills the most!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 08:13   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hypothetically the difference would only be a maximum of 20-30k between the palio 1.6 and the aveo 1.2.where the aveo would command a higher resale.
all this only on the assumption that people regard GM as a carmaker with fuel efficient engines.other than that the maintenance etc would almost be on par with the fiat.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 09:32   #5
BHPian

Okay you didnt ask for buying advice, but anyway here goes:

The Aveo UVA is a nice car; I liked its looks, has a very spacious cabin allright. But is that all you want?
The car is way overpriced, at 6 lacs OTR. And the engine is certainly not competitive with the rest; you'll be passed on the highway by everybody, including Indica Turbos and Santros. Would you really want that?

No comments on the Fiat - but I'd still recommend you to hold on to your SX4 booking.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 10:30   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

WRT the Fiat Palio : The resale value is disastrous. And I dont expect to see too much of an improvement on this anytime soon.

But hold the horses, 6 lac rupees for a 1.2 liter hatch! Man, that is killer pricing. I really dont think you can expect a decent resale value on a car that is over-priced when new.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 10:38   #7
BHPian

Geek,
looks like you are back to square one. confused !
Don't expect good resale of any of these model. Brands may improve their image but not on these models. How about Maruti Versa resale ? Maruti has a good resale but I am not sure about Versa resale ( I may be wrong ).

Buy your car which suits your requirement today and forget about future. You won't be relaxed until you make a purchase.
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 11:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its difficult to predict about Resale of new cars, So far based on data we can say GM, Fiat both have bad resale value with respect to Pailo, Opel brands. Compared with used cars of Honda and Toyota I saw less resale value for used Optra.

I feel we can't expect much value when we want to sell Palio or Aveo.

Except Versa when we buy Maruti cars we can be sure we get good resale value. Not sure About Grand Vitara.

I owned multiple MUL cars I have received very good resale value

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 11:39   #9
BHPian

In given choices UVA will have better resale value. GM has worked upon spares and service part also which is a contributor to decide prices. since you have given 3 year of time down the line in that course of time GM will have more edge on products. UVA is a city car with space so there will be taker for it. Fiat yet to see improvement i suppose they are still in review phase. lets keep finger crossed.
kamy450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 11:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
WRT the Fiat Palio : The resale value is disastrous. And I dont expect to see too much of an improvement on this anytime soon.

But hold the horses, 6 lac rupees for a 1.2 liter hatch! Man, that is killer pricing. I really dont think you can expect a decent resale value on a car that is over-priced when new.
Also, the sales haven't really picked up, and there aren't many takers for the car. So not sure the resale value will be any better two years down the line.

I guess Geeksrik, you are doing a LOT of thinking before buying the car. Hope you make the right choice in the end.

(by the way, I'd stick with the SX4)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 11:52   #11
BHPian

You're comparing two cars that are unequal in the first place. And then you're comparing their resale value as well. Wrong comparisons.

Superavi
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 12:18   #12

I guess both these cars are going to have bad resale value.
Three years down the line even if the companies are doing well, the resale value of these cars are going to pathetic, simply because they would have stopped the production of these models.

Resale value can't be criteria when choosing between these two models, Its a choice between space and power. Personally i feel the uva isn't spacious enough to beat the Palio 1.6's power.
crazykudos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 13:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

WRT to the palio .i personally feel after the grande punto comes the 1.6 would definitely take a big hit and would not be surprised if the production of the car stops.

The aveo u-va LT would also not be the car to go for if resale value is what you are looking for.My personal opinion is that this is a bad time for going in for a hatch if resale value is a factor,because two years down the line the market is going to be flooded with newer hatches from a whole lot of manufacturers.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 15:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Geek,
looks like you are back to square one. confused !
Buy your car which suits your requirement today and forget about future. You won't be relaxed until you make a purchase.
I'll let GeekSreek speak for himself but i too have the same question and i wouldnt term it as being confused - just like to my options open till the purchase is done

but yes - u're right one wont be relaxed until the purchase is done.

Cheers! (this doesnt mean u can drink and drive btw... lol)
sithon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 16:19   #15

Quote:
Also, the sales haven't really picked up, and there aren't many takers for the car.
The momentum is picking up, it seems. i have booked stile 1.6 on 25 th of may, which is yet to be delivered. I was told by the fiat executive that it was dispatched from factory yesterday.According to him, there has been huge demand for 1.6s which they did not expect initially .
TeluguBidda is offline   Reply With Quote