Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 18th June 2007, 19:54   #16
BHPian

If you can afford one, go for the Ford. I said afford not only because of the initial investment, but I also mean the higher cost of maintainence due to expensive spares and the low resale value.Overall, its a step up from the Getz/UVA/Palio/Indica/Swift category and hence the higher cost of ownership.
But its definitely a better car than Swift IMO.The quality of interiors is much better than the abovementioned hatches, the space is really good,performance is fantastic,infact its the only current hatch I would consider if driving pleasure is a criteria.I test drove one few backs back and I have to say that the suspension was'nt that bad.But then again, I drive the Palio 1.6, which has a stiff suspension-low profile rubber set up as well.But its a compromise for good handling, which works well for me.Fuel efficieny for Fusion is said to be pretty reasonable as well.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 23:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Just TD a Fusion recently. Suspension is super stiff, they are trying to make a top heavy car handle well. Really stiff, 20 kmph bumps rattled all of us inside the car. Good highway car, decent torque from around 1500 rpm. Brakes well, steering seems to have more feel than Swift. Interiors cheap on latest models, there is no Fusion+ anymore. I'm told Fusion parts are expensive, I don't know if it's due to the Ford urban legend or rightfully so. IIRC, member "netarchie" had a black Fusion. Check with him for more ownership experiences.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 00:47   #18
BHPian

[quote=ported_head;472319]Suspension is super stiff, they are trying to make a top heavy car handle well.[quote]

completely.Realised the same thing after my test drive as well.Initially, you see the car and get the feeling that the handling will be all wishy washy because of the height.But its just not, not even a bit.The car handles very well and the steering is super precise and communicative.Feels good to drive this thing.But yes, I guess the driver will have all the fun while the passengers at back might find it a torture.Changing to comfort oriented rubber might solve the problem to some extent.But its a lovely car nonetheless,probably the only car thats really impressed me after the Palio.

@rajeshwagh, you have'nt mentioned if you are ok with a diesel.If you are, I'd happily advise the Swift D over Fusion.But if its just petrols,Fusion does it for me.

Last edited by roms : 19th June 2007 at 00:56.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:37   #19
BHPian

Swift and fusion are both good cars to choose from.
I own a fusion and love evertyhing about it.
Fusion can do everthing what a swift does in a more better way. after you take your first corner with the fusion, you will know that you are not driving a normal car.
harsh low speed ride is the only fault which i could find from the car(fusion) till now.
I have completed abt 20 k kms in the fusion and enjoyed every km of it.
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 12:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

netarchie, good to see you back in action! Quite a few queries regrding the Fusion, which would require inputs from your end.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 13:19   #21
BHPian

Talking

bring it on

i would love to answer all the queries one may have.
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 20:13   #22
Team-BHP Support

@netarchie why dont you write a review, also please mention details on expense inured in service and all.

there is a huge thing in Tbhp about cost of ownership of Ford compared to other makes and this would really help. atleast 3 people have pm ed me last week on this and nothing like it than info from the owner who is actually living with the car.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 11:09   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
there is a huge thing in Tbhp about cost of ownership of Ford compared to other makes and this would really help. atleast 3 people have pm ed me last week on this and nothing like it than info from the owner who is actually living with the car.
I agree with what Jaggu has mentioned here. The irony is that most of these claims come from people who dont own or drive the car too.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 17:48   #24
BHPian

Jaggu and benbsb, its not about the Ikon here guys.Ikon should be cheap to own after all these years.Spare parts prices survey done in a recent mag showed that the Fusion has the highest prices for spares in the hatch segment. Ofcourse, its a size bigger than the B+ hatches and hence the higher prices are justified to a certain extent.
Old 21st June 2007, 16:02   #25
BHPian

Just one word.... SWIFT... thank you, that's all I had to say.
sonycs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 23:08   #26
BHPian

FUSION is also available in Diesel Duratorq engine,
so have a TD of it.
However for a 1.6 L engine 10-11 FE is reasonable,
The only negative point of Fusion I have heard is the Low RPM ride.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 11:34   #27
BHPian

The main thing that strikes you when you look at the fusion is the rear seat comfort. I think its really good and light years ahead of the swift. If you drive with your family and have passengers on the rear seat frequently then fusion is the one to go for. Also the fusion has some decent boot space in comparison with swift.

Having said that, if you plan to change the car within 2-3 years, dont think of fusion. The resale will be very low in comparison with the swift.

I would consider the diesel one after a couple of months when the discounts start pouring in. (and after overshooting the budget which is what you will end up doing anyway )
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 11:48   #28
BHPian

Cool Confused car

I find the Fusion a bit confused car. Cant say in which segment it fits. It neither looks like a car nor like a SUV. Its costlier to Swift also I presume.

But still, if you want to stand out in a crowd, Fusion is for you. Swits are too much overcrowded on the roads!
akash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 12:00   #29
VBV
BHPian

A friend of mine has the fusion and he's pretty happy with it. He likes the power, the rear seat space and the ground clearance. He does not like the cost of ownership (mileage is about 9 kmpl + service cost is not like Maruti), the torque, the possible resale value (typically ford cars drop dead after 3 years), the horn. Needless to say, the fact that it costs more is a big factor. My friend could afford it and badly needed the rear seat space. In case you do, Fusion is my recommendation or else swift.
VBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 12:00   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

If it might not be entirely out of context, wouldn't a Logan fit your requirements? ashutoshb should prove to be of help.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote