Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 17th June 2007, 14:42   #16

oh Man it is just like hell when you find in the yourself in this scenario. And then you jump into forums and so on. But let me tell you if you are looking for a hatch or sedan or Suv or Muv or blah then be sure that it should be just ike your second house as you will be spendiing a lot of time in it So do not compromise with leg rooms, seat style and comfort. May be FE can also be a point. In all that I would say look palio and buy SWIFT ... happy driving.
mint_ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 21:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

mint_ag,
what you have actually said is quite contradicting.
The Swift isn't exactly the most comfortable and isn't the easiest to drive, it isn't even the big.
@amitsingh,
i would advise you stay away from a car like the NHC as visibility is quite poor though the car is very easy to manouvere.
Get something like the fiesta if you're looking at a sedan.
As for hatches, in city traffic they really do make a lot more sense. Get something like the Palio 1.6 or the Getz. they're both amazing vehicles.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 21:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Small hatches in city make more sense.
Unless ofcourse you are concerned about the so called 'status symbol'. I personally find the whole concept of a sedan as a 'status symbol' quite idiotic.

Get a Santro/wagonR/Estilo/Spark.. and zoom through the crowded streets like a motorcycle.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 21:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Small hatches in city make more sense.
Unless ofcourse you are concerned about the so called 'status symbol'. I personally find the whole concept of a sedan as a 'status symbol' quite idiotic.

Get a Santro/wagonR/Estilo/Spark.. and zoom through the crowded streets like a motorcycle.
Have seen may people opting for Swift over esteem/ikon cause it holds more status being a 'new-age- car.

IMHO, Swift holds more status than Esteem/ ikon etc. The small 'big' cars.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 02:46   #20
Team-BHP Support

In a big city traffic with limited parking space, particularly in the apartment basements between those inevitable pillars a hatch is always a boon. A booted car is only a snob value unless you really need a boot. For most people who need a city commute a big hatch is more than sufficient. Also, check the turning radius of the car that you are going to buy. Anything above 5m is a bit of a problem...
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 10:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

If you're looking for a small hatch just taking into account traffic conditions, the Swift is the wrong choice here. Its quite bulky, and if you need to squeeze it into tight apartment parking spaces (between pillars) the Swift turns out to be quite a hassle.

As for the fact about the Ikon being just 45cm longer than the Swift.. is that true? I dont think so.

@Crazy_Driver : Pal, i drive an Ikon, and i seriously dont find it so much of an effort to drive through city traffic. Parking, the Swift takes the cake only in terms of length. Deciding on where exactly the rear bumper of the Swift lies when reversing is actually a skill in itself. Same goes for the Ikon, also.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 13:54   #22
BHPian

No one so far has talked about width. I swapped my zen for a swift and I found the increased width took some getting used to. For me at least, driving a slightly longer car (esteem) seemed easier than a wider one. Of course, it only takes a few days to get used to it, so not really that big a deal
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 14:03   #23
Team-BHP Support

Ajit, i did mention width in my post... just that i used "bulky" to define it.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 14:12   #24
BHPian

Go for a Wagon R/Santro which shall address your mileage issue to an extent as well as all other traffic related worries.
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 14:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

The swift is a fat, hot lady, nevertheless a lady whilst an ikon/esteem are slim n trim gentlemen, so decide for yourself.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 14:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The swift is a fat, hot lady, nevertheless a lady whilst an ikon/esteem are slim n trim gentlemen, so decide for yourself.
So by your logic, Santro and wagonR are slim and trim little kids who are more agile than there parents.
M800/Alto are infants , so i wont recommend..
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 14:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
So by your logic, Santro and wagonR are slim and trim little kids who are more agile than there parents.
M800/Alto are infants , so i wont recommend..
Sorry you got that wrong, santro is a deformed child (no offence to santro owners) & the wagonR is the confused intellect in the family. M800/Alto, Auto etc are toddlers.

Did you say more agile than their parents ?? really ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 18:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post
Is this purely for FE reasons?
Yes,and you also dont need 100bhp in city traffic.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 14:21   #29
BHPian

I learnt something about city driving. Its supremely helpful for car to have small turning radius.

Palio has big turning radius - 5.1m. Words from a victim
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...tml#post252407
He has a hard time taking u turns.

Comparative turning radii
Baleno: 4.9m
Swift: 4.7m
Santro: 4.4m
City Zx GXI: 4.9m
BUT
Old Zen: 4.9m
Getz: 5m
amitsingh08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 15:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

are you a new driver or is this just your first car ? i find the 1.6 a lot more easy to drive in traffic than the 1.2.. but dunno if i'd recommend it to someone whos new to driving. regarding the u turns its not a problem once you get the hang of it .

and compared to ikon i find palio a lot more spacious inside , guess its coz the ikon is narrower

actually for a first time driver and for city driving i would have recommended the old zen .. very zippy and easy to maneuver but sadly its not arn anymore
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote