Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 18th June 2007, 14:30   #1
BHPian

Default Hatch backs but Swift

First of all I would like to convey my apologiese to Swift lovers. I had no choice but to start this thread. I have read tons of threads which are intended to analyse the buying descisions for Getz, Uva, stile, etc being flooded by "just go for SWIFT" advices.

I hope there are many who personally cant stand the looks of swift owing to its totally different (altough ultra-modern) alien like outer body design.
Some might even say a FAT lady or a football car.

So, while posting here pleassssssss dont write about Swift.

Now I will talk about my plan. I am hoping to buy a probably 4~6 L budget car next year Jan-Feb. Currently my inclination is towards Getz 1.3.

Reasons -
1. Very applealing aerodynamic front-side look and also a good balanced looking car in general.

2. Currently best looking and probably adequately featured interiors, although I cant say about the material quality as I havent had a chance to see directly.

3. Not terrific but decent power performance.

4. Comfertable and exellent ride quality as mentioned by many pro and personal reviews.

5. Good resale value as Hyundai is the name after Maruti. I dont know how many bought it, but I see max no. of personal reviews in mouthshut.com

In all I am very inclined towards it for its great looks and luxurious ride quality as reported. And, I also liked its interiors the most.

Other cars that I am considering

- Palio stile 1.6 sport, but didnt like its outdated plane interiors. Also couldnt see nice outer+interior pictures on the net yet.

- Ford Fusion for its solid muscular looks and great interiors as it appears from the photo. I know its priced around above 6L, and many say its over priced. But I might go up in my budget if this car really is worth its statement that is strength, power and performance.

Other suggestions are welcome except SWIFT..plsssss
variozin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 15:03   #2
BHPian

I test drove sail 2 years back. That car felt very strong. The moment I placed my foot on the throttle and pushed I was introduced to the power and strong feeling of the engine right there. I enjoyed the TD a lot. Though I used to drive My Dad's 800 those days.

I also TD the Accent Viva at the same time. The pickup was nice and the engine was very silent and minimum vibrations. As if I am driving an electric powered car. Actually its a key point when I am saying this. Though the pickup of Viva was greater then sail, I enjoyed sail more. Dont know why ? may be the engine felt stronger and better. May be thats what called adrenalin..!!

So.....is the same sail or corsa still roling out ???
Old 18th June 2007, 15:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good to see someone who is very clear on what he does not want.

The Getz is a cool option. The fecelift has enhanced the beauty of the vehicle. The interior space too is really good for a hatch. The only drawback i have heard is that you tend to feel underpowered for those highway overtakings. Another issue was priced slightly on the higher side. If these two are not isssues for you, i think you have made the right choice.

The Palio 1.6 is more of a performance vehicle and the F.E figures would be around 10 in city and 14-15 on highways. Not sure about the Stile Variant, but the palio for sure was the real 'performer hatch' on highways. The FIAT suspensions are known for its comfort levels. If you ask me i would say its a real value for money product. If you have more of highway cruising i would suggest the Palio.

The Fird fusion is the best performer in its price band, the F.E figures also are not bad for the kind of power it delivers. The major plus point here would be the interior space. The catch here would be a hard suspension, a bumpy ride on bad roads and higher spare costs.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 15:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pal, if you liked Getz 1.3, go for it!
It is a nice car though it is overpriced!

However, you would get a Palio Stile 1.6 at the same price, except for its plain interiors and not so good Resale value, it is a great VFM Car!

You can also consider Aveo U-VA 1.2 too!
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 15:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

You mean Corsa Sail ?
Most people here find Sail quite sluggish, specially in the lower gears.
Maybe you fell in love with the ride quality. It has got a great ride no doubt.

I suggest you take a good look at Chevrolet U-VA. Its spacious, has nice ride quality, decent interior space and easy to drive. Whats more, its a GM product, and since you liked Sail, i am sure you will like U-VA too.

Otherwise Getz 1.3 is good too. The positives you have already mentioned. The negative maybe the fact that it gives slightly less FE than that Suzuki (OK i wont take its name since you dont like it )
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 15:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

variozin, only based on the choices you have listed, i feel the Fusion is worth the buck if it falls within your range. Take a test drive, and we can take it further from there.

As DECite suggested, why not take a look at the U-VA too? Been seeing quite a few of them on the road these days here in Bangalore, and its not bad looking.

As for your comments on the Fat lady's looks, even my wife shares the same opinion. There are many here who feel it resembles a toad too. But the sales figures do leave one baffled.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 16:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes Getz is a very nice car. Btw check out Uva too, its similar speched & slightly cheaper, The EMIs are lower for Chevy & the 3 year maitainance warranty is good too. But yes it might not have as good resale as a Getz.

I think Fusion is out of his budget

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th June 2007 at 16:01.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 16:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by variozin View Post
First of all I would like to convey my apologiese to Swift lovers. I had no choice but to start this thread. I have read tons of threads which are intended to analyse the buying descisions for Getz, Uva, stile, etc being flooded by "just go for SWIFT" advices.

I hope there are many who personally cant stand the looks of swift owing to its totally different (altough ultra-modern) alien like outer body design.
Some might even say a FAT lady or a football car.

So, while posting here pleassssssss dont write about Swift.

Now I will talk about my plan. I am hoping to buy a probably 4~6 L budget car next year Jan-Feb. Currently my inclination is towards Getz 1.3.

Reasons -
1. Very applealing aerodynamic front-side look and also a good balanced looking car in general.

2. Currently best looking and probably adequately featured interiors, although I cant say about the material quality as I havent had a chance to see directly.

3. Not terrific but decent power performance.

4. Comfertable and exellent ride quality as mentioned by many pro and personal reviews.

5. Good resale value as Hyundai is the name after Maruti. I dont know how many bought it, but I see max no. of personal reviews in mouthshut.com

In all I am very inclined towards it for its great looks and luxurious ride quality as reported. And, I also liked its interiors the most.

Other cars that I am considering

- Palio stile 1.6 sport, but didnt like its outdated plane interiors. Also couldnt see nice outer+interior pictures on the net yet.

- Ford Fusion for its solid muscular looks and great interiors as it appears from the photo. I know its priced around above 6L, and many say its over priced. But I might go up in my budget if this car really is worth its statement that is strength, power and performance.

Other suggestions are welcome except SWIFT..plsssss
Hai variozin vbmenu_register("postmenu_471723", true);

I am 21yr old indian residing in Doha Qatar - middle east, i am here in Doha since 1990. From this long period of stay in Doha, i recommend you not to go for Hyundai Vehicles especially Korean Made . The picture over here is that Hundai Vehicles like the Verna(The 2007 Model of Accent over here), Accent(the 2004 model of accent over here), Getz, Santro(Over Here its Atoz), Excel, Sonata, Mini Trucks etc. are not road worthy after a period of 6 to 7 years especially the engine and the body. Unfortunately these cars are seen Abandoned on the streets or in Car Scraps. Its very difficult over here to see a 1980's Hundai or any korean made cars on the road except a very very few cars like the 1985 Model Hyundai Stellar and the 1992 Hyundai Excel. One Good Car Hyundai has made in the last 2 - 3 years is the Hyundai Coupe (A Sports car from Hyundai) ,other than that the graph of Hyundai in the middle east is down.

You know the Maruti Made 1.1 Suzuki Alto is sold in doha, The Ratio of Sale of Alto 1.1(Maruti Indian Made) & Santro(Atoz), Swift(Japan Made) & Getz over here is like this:

when 1000 Altos are sold 1 or 2 Santros are sold
when 1000 Swifts are sold 0.5 Getz are sold

I prefer you to go for any other cars other than Hyundai, i dont know how hyundai created this image in India - Every thing that glitter is not Gold
Rishaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 16:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Why not a "Adventure" but am not sure if its interiors would impress you much. performance wise its the best!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 16:41   #10
BHPian

Veriozin, Since you are looking at next Jan for the purchase of the car you can look at the Getz CRDi which is due for launch this year end. The engine will be peppy and might overcome the sluggishness that gemithomas has stated. Fusion is also a great car except for poor mileage, high maintenance and low resale value. Fusion is expected with a TDCi power plant too which will overcome all the above stated weakness...
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 16:41   #11
BHPian

Getz with 1.3 litre engine is a nice car, with good looks and good interior space. Of course, some other options are also available now a days.
squarecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 16:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Getz is one of the best cars in India nowadays, If you read this months TG, it is all praises about Getz & U-VA. I feel Getz petrol is a really good car but since you have mentioned your budget to be 4-6L, then why not wait for another 2 months for the GETZ CRDi, I feel it is going to give a run to Swift Diesel. Everyone knows Hyundai makes fantastic CRDi cars. Go for it !!! Cheers.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 18:35   #13
BHPian

Since you are targeting Jan-Feb to buy the car, the fabia may be an option as well.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 20:20   #14
BHPian

Thank you all for your concerned views and tips. I am glad that I hear positive things about Getz. Some also praised Chevy UVA. Well, actually I have seen this car a lot before it came to India. Actually I am in S.Korea since last few years. So have known Hyundai, Kia and Daewoos pretty close. Man, these companies are so quick in releasing new models every now and then.

Hyundai holds the position of most reliable and prestigeous car brand in Korea. In my observation they had been making most durable cars as far as korean cars are concerned. Kia goes for little more affordable cars but in my opinion they make better looking cars. Anyway that has nothing to do with Indian scenario.

What I intend to say is that all Hyundai and chevrolet models that are currently running in India except some indian modified ones like Santro-xing are pre-launched in Korea. GM-Daewoo has been making all Opturas,Aveos,Sparks, UVAs since last 4~5 years with different names. Spark which is upgraded matiz still goes with the original name. Optura here was the first GM-Daewoo product launched 5 years ago.

UVA called kalos here is well built small car. And its also popular, I guess more than Getz("click" here) cos of lower price. But getz is still considered more powerful and sportier than any any other hatch back except the chevy SRV, I dont know its korean name.

Sadly all these models when launched in India are tagged higher prices because higher tax rate in India . For example Getz top version with automatic transmission(yes here it comes with that too) comes about just
about 12~13 million wons that is equivalent to 3~3.5 Lacs.

But good thing I have some enough time to wait and see some upcoming diesel versions too. Hope the Getz CRDi make me
Old 18th June 2007, 20:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

variozin, i prefer the fusion, over the getz simply becuase it seems bigger and handles better. but getz is a practical car, and i liked it a lot. if you want to wait for fusion diesel, it will be VFM. the palio stile sport will give you 8kmpl or 9kmpl much like fusion. i find power in 1.6 sport good, but thats about it. nothing else interests me in that car anymore. interiors are sad even now. and the suspension is hard too.

so its either fusion or getz for me in that order for your situation.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote