Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2007, 18:09   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Hi. First post. Wagon R to Swift?

Hi, Guys,

I'am srinivas. Heard about this portal from a friend of mine. It's amazing....Presently I own an Wagin R LXi and driving from past 4 1/2 years. Planning to go for a bigger model. Test drove Swift VDi y'day. But I feel the interiors and the comfort wise it is similar to Wagon R itself. Tried to creat a new post for the advice of TBHP but could not as I feel I have to post at least 50 posts. But can anybody advice me whether to go for mid size car or go with the hatch back itself. The current waiting period in Bangalore is about 6~7 months (for VDi) and during this period there are lot of other hatch backs that are lined up for release. Sincerely need TBHP's advice......
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 22:28   #2
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

The swift diesel is indeed a really nice car to go for. You have all the R&D being done on members ride here.

Btw welcome to the forum. And do come to the meet we regularly have.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 22:42   #3
BHPian
 
TARUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 117
Thanked: Once
Default

hey! srinivas its nice to meet another bhpian from bangalore.tell us something more about your self & coming to the car part of it the swift vdi is a good choice but hang on there may be better cars coming in the near future.
TARUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 22:45   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
binz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 411 Times
Default

Hey man welcome to the forum,..do make it to the meets.

Hey tarul,..which better cars are you talking about?
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 22:52   #5
BHPian
 
TARUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 117
Thanked: Once
Default

hey binoy if you know i am still a newbie for the past 2 years.Just tyring to type some posts to get to the level of a bhpian
TARUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 06:17   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Hi Srinivas. Welcome to Team BHP, enjoy your conversations with people for whom the common means of transport is more than most other things in life.

What are your needs in a car? What do you expect of a bigger model with respect to your needs? What is the budget that you have set for yourself?

If you consider what is available and what is coming, there is a mind-boggling array of choices, but there is none that satisfies everyone. And that's because needs are individual - and a purchase decision is always at best a compromise of what you want v/s what you get for the money that you *think* you can spend. Power v/s economy, size v/s driveability, style v/s safety, comfort v/s cost - there is no end to the decision elements. And to top it all, advice does not make it easier!

The advantages of Swift TDi are apparent economy and appeal (cute, different), neither of which are really true. Same for any diesel small car.

You pay 60K more against the apparent savings of diesel: at the current fuel rates that is 25% savings per litre. But, do you realize you would have already paid 15000litres worth of difference up-front, so you will get the benefits of the fuel cost difference only after driving 100,000Km (that's what you have already paid up-front), as compared to the petrol version.

Appeal? Irrational, but can you overrule the family? Sure, Indica has more internal space but looks like a toad, definitely not "stylish" - and even more horrific: "most taxis are Indica". All advertising is about appeal, not logic.

So just make a list (rational, logical criteria - like we are taught) of what you need, and then embark on the adventurous journey of selecting a car. Quite likely you will get frustrated with the list and tear it up, only because the lady says "Suno ji, that one is really cute, let's buy that" or "Not that one, our neighbour has that"
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:00   #7
BHPian
 
abhilashvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore/Calic
Posts: 367
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
The current waiting period in Bangalore is about 6~7 months (for VDi) and during this period there are lot of other hatch backs that are lined up for release. Sincerely need TBHP's advice......
Between Wagon R and Swift VDi, its a no brainer, Its Vdi that wins. However with the 6 month waiting period I would consider something else. The best way I feel is to book the car and in case you find something eventually, cancell and get a refund of the whole amount. When Swift was launched, there was a waiting of 6 months but the hype died down fast and cars were delivered fast.
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:25   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hi Srinivas. Welcome to Team BHP, enjoy your conversations with people for whom the common means of transport is more than most other things in life.

What are your needs in a car? What do you expect of a bigger model with respect to your needs? What is the budget that you have set for yourself?

If you consider what is available and what is coming, there is a mind-boggling array of choices, but there is none that satisfies everyone. And that's because needs are individual - and a purchase decision is always at best a compromise of what you want v/s what you get for the money that you *think* you can spend. Power v/s economy, size v/s driveability, style v/s safety, comfort v/s cost - there is no end to the decision elements. And to top it all, advice does not make it easier!

The advantages of Swift TDi are apparent economy and appeal (cute, different), neither of which are really true. Same for any diesel small car.

You pay 60K more against the apparent savings of diesel: at the current fuel rates that is 25% savings per litre. But, do you realize you would have already paid 15000litres worth of difference up-front, so you will get the benefits of the fuel cost difference only after driving 100,000Km (that's what you have already paid up-front), as compared to the petrol version.

Appeal? Irrational, but can you overrule the family? Sure, Indica has more internal space but looks like a toad, definitely not "stylish" - and even more horrific: "most taxis are Indica". All advertising is about appeal, not logic.

So just make a list (rational, logical criteria - like we are taught) of what you need, and then embark on the adventurous journey of selecting a car. Quite likely you will get frustrated with the list and tear it up, only because the lady says "Suno ji, that one is really cute, let's buy that" or "Not that one, our neighbour has that"
Suno Ji, Well said, Der Alte
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:26   #9
BHPian
 
zoom2_ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 68
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

@Deralte: very well said. I agree with you. Swift is not family car. If you have a family of more then even 2 adults(forget 5), Swift is not for you. Back seat in swift is only for children. You can go for SWIFT diesel if you want a peppy engine. this could be the only rational behind buying SWIFT diesel.
zoom2_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 22:24   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Hi, Guys,

Thanks for the response. Well, did not expect so many....

Need to upgrade from current hatchback to mid size. My budget is around around Rs.7 Lacs....Looking for a Diesel car (preferably CRDI). I'am looking for an economy car with performance.......looks does matter. And the decision to buy the car is only mine and certainly not "suno ji".....
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:43   #11
BHPian
 
balaji_n29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Since you are looking for a family car and CRDi one, hatchbacks don't make much sense.. The cars that fit the bill are Indigo DICOR and the Logan DCi. You can choose between one of these...

The swift diesel can be ruled out because of the lack of space.... The Indigo and Logan are really spacious and are great value for money.. If you want a petrol car go far SX4 VXi..
balaji_n29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 15:47   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Hi, Balaji,

I have seen both Logan & Indigo. I have not yet taken the test drives. Hence do not know the performance. Just to compare, I feel Logan is far more better than Indigo (interiors)......But exteriors and looks wise Indigo is much better. Also it comes with 70 bhp and logan with 68.

Will test drive all the 3 Ford Fiesta 1.4 (TDCi)/Indigo (Dicor)/Logan......I feel the service and spares availability wise, Tata might be much better...what say??
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 21:43   #13
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 845
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Hey srinivas i was in the same position as you i wanted to buy the vdi but the waiting period of 6 months put me off so i changed my mind no car is worth waiting for 6 months unless u are getting it free .I heard the the new hyundai getz is coming out with a crdi engine next month i strongly advice you to go for it instead of a indigo or logan
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2007, 23:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,840
Thanked: 7,218 Times
Default

The wagonr is ugly car!

But inside that box is some good space. If you ever carry more than a briefcase in the boot, the Swift will be a disappointing car for you.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 08:46   #15
BHPian
 
balaji_n29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Hi, Balaji,

I have seen both Logan & Indigo. I have not yet taken the test drives. Hence do not know the performance. Just to compare, I feel Logan is far more better than Indigo (interiors)......But exteriors and looks wise Indigo is much better. Also it comes with 70 bhp and logan with 68.

Will test drive all the 3 Ford Fiesta 1.4 (TDCi)/Indigo (Dicor)/Logan......I feel the service and spares availability wise, Tata might be much better...what say??
Yes you are right...The indigo looks much better than the Logan. The Fiesta Diesel is way out of the budget you quoted.. Will be somewhere in the range of 8.5L on road Bangalore...If you have that kinda money don't bother about the logan and the indigo. The Fiesta will win hands down, legs up and head swinging.. The only issue will be the lack of space in the rear seat as compared to the other two..But powerwise there is not much difference between the 3..

Balaji
balaji_n29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wagon R LXI CNG Vs Wagon R VXI + CNG Kit ajay387 Hatchbacks 37 7th October 2013 22:54
(Wagon R)ecreationally clicked - New Wagon R Scoop Pics EDIT: Brochure on pg 22 sidindica The Indian Car Scene 385 23rd April 2010 14:44
Wagon-R Vs. Estilo.. Is Wagon-R crowding the portfolio? nikhil3456 The Indian Car Scene 16 29th January 2007 23:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks