Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
Old 24th June 2007, 14:33   #1
Question Which CRDi Flavour ? DDiS versus DICOR

I am in a Dilemma of sorts, have a budget of 6 Lakhs (can stretch 50K more). I currently drive a Indica which has 125K on the Odo in 7 years besides this my "better half" drives a Santro LS 1.0 with 50K in 6 years (safe to say that we drive a lot).

I have the following cars in my sights as a replacement for my Indica; the Maruti Swift VDi & the Tata Indigo DX DICOR, though the aforementioned cars should be ideal replacements within the budget mentioned the funny thing is that the TDi based Tata Indica DLX Turbo comes out tops. Would like to verify if I am right in my reasoning so here goes .....

1. Maruti Swift VDi DDiS :

a. Fantastically refined engine.
b. Mouth-watering "torque" effects pulls like an Ox.
c. Excellent front seats with great lumbar support.
d. Great handling with superb "silly speed" manners (185/70 R14 footwear will only make it better).

a. Fixed Geometry Turbo
b. Cramped rear, non-existent boot (not very practical use of space)
c. Poor rear view (I suspect a little getting used to will help)
d. Definitely overpriced at this time

2. Tata Indigo LX DICOR :

a. Variable Geometry Turbo
b. Though similarly speced as the TDi (in terms of BHP & Torque), the way the power is delivered is a far superior.
c. Great space for five adults with a pretty big boot with a pretty good ride (185/60 R14 rubber will further improve things)
d. Beige interiors are dfenitely sight for sore eyes after the normal sea of Black/Grey .... nice
e. Definitely the most VFM Sedan around with a contemporary engine under its hood.

a. Can't match the DDiS engine from Maruti in terms of refinement
b. The engine can get coarse at high revs.
c. Anything new from Tata is always suspect till the initial issues are sorted out, this engine cannot be very different.
d. Pretty ordinary in terms of fit and finish ... guess "you get what you pay"
e. Not very different in terms of driving experience (less the engine) compared to an Indica.

The interesting thing here however is my heart says Swift and the head says Indigo but then the third variable i.e. “Voice of Reason” something that only we Indians posses in terms of sniffing the maximum “Value of Rupee Factor” says Indica Turbo DLX (yup I agree, I am back to square #1, thats the dilemma).

My bankers have already provided me a blanket loan upto 14 Lakhs (yup I can buy an Octavia RS) and I am under pressure to decide soon, please let me have your thoughts and help me decide among the three cars mentioned above … thanks in advance.
Old 24th June 2007, 21:05   #2

Hi what abt checking out indigo classic for some good interior if you are happy with the power of indigo...
Old 24th June 2007, 21:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looking at your dilemma and reading your post i would say that my solution for you is to buy a RS

Jokes apart the Swift is in a different league, the quality, engine, refinement, A.S.S, power, torque.

Trust me Swift not having VGT and Indigo having it doesnot affect one bit the Swift drives much much better.
Old 24th June 2007, 21:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

i would say go with our heart (swift)

the swift far superior that a indigo in any field

but if you want a boot go for the indigo
Old 24th June 2007, 21:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think it boils down to whether you need the Indigo/Indica space or not. Do you occasionally ferry people/stuff around or it it just the 2 of you? If the former keep in mind that the Swift is strictly a 4 seater while the other is definitely a 5'er! If space is not the issue then go for the Swift unless the waiting period is 6 months!
Old 24th June 2007, 21:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have seen the both Swift DDiS (test drive done) & Indigo DICOR Classic (test drive t'mrow) and the interiors look OK (except resin parts/weatherstrips) and a definately VFM buy. Don't know how the FE is. The dealer here claims around 14kmpl where as swift is around 18kmpl.

If you have a family of 4/plus then go for Indigo. In swift it will be very cramped to accomodate 4+.

Will post more on Indigo Dicor Classic after my test drive.....
Old 24th June 2007, 21:57   #7

A no brainer! Swift it is.

From what I have read it looks like you would be doing a lot of driving and you are bound to have a good time in the Swift.

However considering the fact that you can afford a better car why not try in the league of Verna or a Fiesta diesel?.
Old 24th June 2007, 22:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

for pure a.s.s reasons and driveability i would and have preferred and bought the swift Vdi. its a good diesel car to drive. rear is not so cramped. boot is almost non existent i agree. see how many people are going to be in it most times, for me its only me and my wife, so good enough choice to be contended with. if for you boot is an absolute necessity then indigo sounds better off, else stay put with swift.

but then there is also the issue of waiting period and no prizes for guessing which one is more!!
Old 24th June 2007, 22:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dude check this thread out i opened this thread but i was not buying any car out of the 2 though. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...igo-dicor.html (Why Swift DDiS and NOT Indigo DICOR ???)

Also i think this thread should be in What Car section ???

Last edited by abhibh : 24th June 2007 at 22:16.
Old 24th June 2007, 22:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Buddy, you are seeking ideas about two cars in the new car Test Drive section? That too in your first post. Please do familiarize yourself with the site and its sections, as much as the board rules. Also, post an intro about yourself in the Introduction section... Lets us know you. Rest will anyhow keep happening.

By the way since you have anyhow asked the question I would say,
* If you want a real VFM sedan which gives you a lot of space and a big boot without denting your bank balance Indigo Dicor it is. It has be one of the most potent VFM sedan in the world. Compared to some recent "cheap" sedans it is actually fairly modern and nice to look at. And generally it is a very reliable car.
* If the boot is something you can live without (at least a third box is not so important) and yet need some luggage space, want a spacious cabin, good driveability etc etc alongwith the best VFM deal then nothing beats the Indica Turbo. It can take the city as well as the highways with equal elan. For those who want everything in their hatch and yet believe that any hatch that costs more than 5Lakhs is making a bunny out of 'em this IS the car.
* However for everything else it has to a Swift DDiS. Thats one pocket rocket of a hatch. As you said, you will have to learn to deal with the poor visibility because of the high waistline and live with the comparatively cramped interior. I guess in your case after having driven an Indica for so long that actually becomes a big deal. However if you want the diesel economy and yet do not want to sacrifice the Advantages that come with a petrol then Swift DDiS is one strong contender.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:19   #11

Zappo regret the misplaced post will keep my sights on the right forum the next time round.

Is there any way this post can be moved post haste to the right forum ? besides being in the right place might get better advise !! Super Admins / Moderators please assist ???

Have put in an intro as advised in the Intro section did not realise one existed .
Old 25th June 2007, 11:22   #12

if you can spend more, why dont you check out(TD) the verna;fiesta;optra magnum...
Old 25th June 2007, 11:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

Swift vs Indica DICOR = Refinement and driveability A.S.S. "vs" Space and boot
Swift vs Indica Turbo = Refinement and better A.S.S.vs 80K less and little more space.
So take your pick.
Don't worry about Fixed geometry and Variable geometry. If you are getting better performance from a fixed geometry turbo, why care.
Anyways Indica DICOR is around the corner, and will cost around 40K cheaper than the swift with same trim levels
Old 25th June 2007, 11:50   #14

Go with your heart- Swift DDiS for refinement, A.S.S and Power/Torque.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:59   #15

DDiS always. Its a Fiat's super tech award wnining engine. and superb FE
Closed Thread