Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 00:04   #1
BHPian

Default Indica Turbo or Swift LDi !!!

Hi friends,
I think I am also caught up in same fix as others. I currently use Baleno Vxi and now I am planning to buy another car this time a diesel variant for my factory usage. The cars which i have selected are Indica Turbo DLG or Swift LDi.

I know there is no comparison as far as build quality and refinement is concerned when you compare TATA with MARUTI SWIFT. But the fact is that the car will be mostly used in my office work so one can expect use by me, my driver and a couple of other ppl. My driving would be about 50kms/day and 4-6 trips (abt 550kms) a month to the factory in HP. My confusion is that which car will be more reliable under these conditions and is it worth spending 1.2lacs extra for swift LDi ? and which will fetch me better resale value after 3 yrs of usage ?

How good will be a CNG vehicle if I opt for considering the kind of usage Or am i missing any other diesel hatch ??

Please suggest........
speedemon is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 9th July 2007, 08:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

First choice is Swift D but waiting list is too much if you can wait for that book it. Swift is better car compared with Indica. However build quality Swift and Indica score side by side not much difference. Swift has many rattling issues and few parts used in Swift are not of great quality. It has good engine can fetch FE of 20+ kmpl on highway with AC on. Indica can fetch 20kmpl as FE on highway.

I feel Indica should fetch you better resale value compared with Swift because Swift D is too costly compared with Indica. and in used car market more spacious less priced car will fetch better resale value. so expect Indica to give better resale value unless you get buyer who need
Swift and will respect its engine and pay for it.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 09:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Of the two... my vote would go for the swift if you are the one driving it more.. But if its the driver who is going to drive it more then the indica is a better choice as it has more space and comfort at the rear whereas the swift is a better drivers car. Also the swift even though it has some quality issues... its way better than the indica in terms of quality and rfinement.. and the resale of the swift would be better than the indica because of
1)marutis have one of the best resales in the country
2)The swift d is in great demand
3)indicas hav bad resale value(correct me if im wrong but its true in cochin) due to the large numbers of taxis around
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 09:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

Self driven?
Also are you going to go to HP from Delhi? Thats like 2000+kms a month highway driving + 1500 a month city.
Swift diesel definitely makes more sense.
The road is a nice wide highway too.So no problems on that front too. Go for an indica if and only if you feel that the vehicle will suffer a lot of abuse 1. Suspension abuse
2. Bad fuel.
But with your current setting swift it should be
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 14:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift DDiS all the way.

Go for Indica only if your budget is too tight, and Swift DDiS is out of your stretch limit.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 14:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

suzuki has/ will have better resale value, but will let you down in maintainance costs(check ACI's spare prices).
And that the steering wheel is not going to be used by a single person is a good reason to choose Indica.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 14:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

Amongst other things I would say also check out how comfy you feel in a Swift vis-a-vis Indica on real long highway drives. When you travel some 1000 kms or more at a stretch only thing that becomes paramount is the ease and comfort the vehicle brings you. So check that aspect as well.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 14:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Self driven?
Also are you going to go to HP from Delhi? Thats like 2000+kms a month highway driving + 1500 a month city.
Swift diesel definitely makes more sense.
The road is a nice wide highway too.So no problems on that front too. Go for an indica if and only if you feel that the vehicle will suffer a lot of abuse 1. Suspension abuse
2. Bad fuel.
But with your current setting swift it should be
There will be a lot of highway driving, GT road is super smooth but one can expect bad road in the interiors. It is that the swift will be more prone to bad fuel as its a new generation diesel engine ? moreover engine hasnt been tested on indians road and fuel....
speedemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 15:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest to go for the indica

as its going to be for office and highway use indica makes alot sense and indica is more spacious and the waiting for the swift is to long

the indica engine is tired and tested and can take alot of abuse
manikjeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 15:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

You get good fuel on GT road, moreover if you Tank up in Delhi, you need to tank up near chd or in PB during way back, thats it.
As for bad fuel. CRDI engines are more susceptible, but its not too difficult to find good pumps on highways, look for places where you see lots of trucks.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 15:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemon View Post
mostly used in my office work so one can expect use by me, my driver and a couple of other ppl.
.. It calls for Indica just for the above reason. Swift will not able to last after such an abuse. Moreover spending 1 lac over for rugged daily use ....!
Indica is cheaper to maintain.
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 15:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

Since 4 people are to be driving this car, get the Indica. Rugged.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 16:28   #13
BHPian

actually its a no -brainer , if budget is not a problem then its swift all the way!!
buy the indica only and only if you have a budget constraint
abhijit 2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 17:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

i vote for indica, for its rear seating space and vfm, if its going to be driven by driver and maintained by the company why bother spending a lakh more.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th July 2007 at 17:25.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 01:53   #15
BHPian

indica is your car man. i own an indica DLS turbo. done 25000+in a year and a month. no problems whatsoever. its spacious as hell. costs more than 2 lacks easier than the swift, definitely a more sturdy car than the swift. my car turns up a 17 on the highway with the AC which is your arena for driving. at the time of resale you would be breaking lesser an amount compared to the swift.maintenance is cheaper.tho i have to say you would be happier with a set of alloys and better set of tyres on the indica......what the company does provide is not really all that good and the difference is drastic to say the least. and as far as fitments go ive had it with maruti. my 2005 esteem is ratling worse than a tractor man.
not to mention the car has got a decent grunt as well. i have done a 160 on the expressway.its a nice 66bhp turbo engine which chuggs along pretty well without much trouble of turbo lag.
so just put 2 and 2 together and go for the TATA is my advice.
le_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote