Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 13th November 2009, 01:13   #16

Thanks to the BHPians whose posts helped me, I was in a fix between Wagon R, Santro for my new purchase when i happened to run into T.BHP forums. I then arrived at Chevy Spark.

Got the Blazing Red Sparkie LT deliverd a week back, cool little car, lot more powerful than i expected. Way better than santro and WR. A friend of mine who bought WR aroud same time as me is now regretting it after driving the sparkie.
Thanks once again to T.BHP
rahul153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 10:23   #17

Well this thread got bumped after two long years ! No doubt sparky seems to be better.. but still good old wagnor is also cool.

I bought spark anyways.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 14:07   #18

Congratulations rahul153.

Spark is really a good car and a value for money proposition, especially for the first timer.

For almost 8 long years, the previous avatar the Daewoo Matiz was our lovable darling. Daewoo disappearing from the Indian scene and with GM refusing to take over its Indian arm, we found maintaining and servicing it a problem. That forced us to sell it and go for a new car.

My father wanted to go in for Chevy Spark. I steadfastly refused to take a TD of it, for had I taken it would have been hard to refuse it.

I wanted a change and it was Ritz with its fascinating engine tuned to run with Petrol/ethanol mixture, in spite of its cut-back rear look.

That said, Spark with its 4 pod 1.0l engine is definitely better than Matiz with its 3 pod 0.9l engine, is ideally suited for city driving and can take highway runs too admirably.

Enjoy your ride and take care of her.

And do write how all you want to embellish her.
Ponmayilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 16:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Spark will server you well. And you abt GM's warranty plans. Its the best VFM vehicle on the other side of Alto
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 15:03   #20
Default Spark - Fun to drive

I bought this car as a buddy in car driving, learnt my driving skills with this car. This is definitely a good choice for people looking for their first car.The boot space is cramped with mine being a LPG version but there are a lot of driver friendly features in this car which makes it a good choice. Some of them listed below
  1. Tubeless tyres across all version
  2. Day/night rear view mirror
  3. Internally adjustable ORVM
  4. Fire extinguishers in LPG version
  5. Automatic switch over from petrol to LPG
  6. Very light and good power steering
  7. Good suspension and ride quality
  8. Stable at high speeds
  9. Negligible difference in performance between Petrol and LPG
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Is your spark an LPG version? Could you kindly let me know the mileage you get in city driving with and without air con especially when using LPG. Is the rear sit designed to be folded in a split fashion?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 22:16   #22

My uncle is exchanging his old M800 for a new Spark 1.0 PS. They'd never even considered it an option and were going to buy the Nano LX, a new M800 or Alto LX. It's amazing that a few people have not even heard of the car. GM should do more full-page ads if they really want to capture the market. I think this is especially true in states like Kerala, where small car automatically means Maruti. Many people assume that anything bigger than an Alto would be far out of their reach, while the real difference could be just a couple of hundred rupees more in the EMI.

Anyway, they were going to get the base model with AC, but I convinced them that the power steering was definitely worth the extra price of 15K. The OTR price is 3.76 lacs, inclusive of Basic pack (mudflaps + mats), the CPCOO package (3 years maintenance) and an option of either free central locking or seat covers. There's a discount of 34K from GM, and then I negotiated a further 7K reduction because it's the end of the month. So they're getting it for 3.35 lacs. The Alto K10 LXi is 3.41 OTR, there are no discounts except for govt. employee/retiree discount of 2K. No freebies, not even basic kit.

Personally, I feel that the Spark is much better value, because of much better interior room and plastics. Maruti should really have given the K10 better or at least different looking interiors. Maybe the same interiors in beige, to differentiate from the regular Alto. Also, I think that aunt and uncle were excited at the idea of something other than the Alto. They're retired govt employees, and everyone in their office circle probably has an 800, Alto, or the Santro for a few luckier ones.

I have to comment on the instrument console. I was first disappointed that there was no tachometer. But then the sales guy pressed a button on the speedo console, and the time display was replaced by a digital tach. While it's not as good as an analogue tach, it's fine. I also noted that the warning lights have been shifted from cubbyhole in front of the driver to the centre instrument console, which is a bad move IMO. I think that the earlier models also came with an analogue tacho on the higher variants. The LCD instruments include tacho/time, as well as fuel and temp gauges.

I found the engine to be a bit less responsive than the K10 in the A-Star. On the plus side though, there's more low-end torque. True to the sales guy's claims, I was able to drive at 30kph in 5th gear. That makes it perfect for my uncle who hates to rev the engine and drives in the tallest gear possible.

The things I hated - the indicator/wiper stalks are LHS. While this is a minor irritant that one can get used to, the positioning of the fuel filler cap on the right side is an issue. There's also no LHS ORVM on this model. I also came to know later that the boot couldn't be opened by key, and that there was no option for rear speakers unless you also bought the expensive rear parcel tray from the LS.

I think this is one of the few cars to come with Apollo Acelere as OE tyres. How good/bad are they? The tread pattern looks great, esp. the sidewalls. I need to know soon, so that I can insist on a car with some other brand tyre if necessary.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 23:25   #23

I have actually zeroed in on Zen Estilo (K10) before purchasing Spark. For me the main reasons were.

1. Excellent build quality comparable to cars one segment above
- The Zen Estilo demo car which I test drove only had 5k kms onboard in was rattling all around while the Spark demo car with 12k kms onboard was TOUCHWOOD without even a single sqeak.

2. Excellent low end torque which gives extremely good driveablity

Regarding the fuel filer cap on right side, its a good feature. You need not peek through the passenger side window to see the reading. You can see the reading as well as the fuel filling guy through the Right ORVM.

One more thing is a new spark in my opinion is a SLUGGISH car when it is below 5000 kms(During running in). To enjoy the real performance it has to cover atleast 5000 kms and first service. You will experience some 35% more power and an good responsive engine.

Regarding the tyres, APPOLLO accelere are having low noise and better comfort than Bridgestone and MRF. Wet performance is equally good for all. MRF tends to get harder and less comfy as it gets old. Durability wise, Bridgestone tends to last long and Apollo the worst by some 3000-5000 kms.
shineshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 09:15   #24

How good does Spark hold its resale value after 3 years? Is it comparable to Maruti? We are planning to buy a new car soon, and we like Spark. The only thing stopping is, if the resale value is too low, then the effective ownership cost will be higher. In that case may be new wagonR will be bought.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote