Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 18th July 2007, 12:33   #1

Default Chevy Spark

I am interested in buying spark but as it is a new car in the indian market which is yet to be proven,i am a little apprehensive in going forward with it. I have also shortlisted wagonR but I have read on team-bhp forums that it is soon going to be replaced with a new model i.e Splash.

I would request for some feedback as to whether it will be rite decision to go forward with Spark...
RK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 20:25   #2
BHPian

Well.. What are your requirements? That should get you some replies and expert comments.
Nimz
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 20:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

RK 16,

Please mention your requirements of space, FE, power, weekly usage etc. Then only we would be able to comment.

WagonR will be replaced by splash by end 2008 or early 2009. But being a Maruti, resale and spares wont be a problem as such!

Sparky is a good car. Take a TD of both Spark and Santro.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 23:24   #4
BHPian

IMHO, SPARK looks the best among the entry level hatch's. It has good ride and handling and pretty spacious for its size, although its at best a 4 seater. Owning a newly launched car is always a level up. If it fulfills your needs, than go ahead with the SPARKY.
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 09:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Well.. What are your requirements? That should get you some replies and expert comments.
Nimz
Slightly OT.

Nimz, I think you own a spark. Does the spark service package, 7600 Rs for 3 years, includes even part replacements [ex: bulbs, worn out plastic parts] or only the oil change and routine maintenance
Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 11:01   #6

I require it for city usage so i am looking for good FE. Maybe will take it to outstation 2-3 times a year max. Wekly usage will be around 100-120 Kms.

Are you sure that WagonR will get good resale value after the new model comes. I am planning to keep the car for 3 yrs atleast and then sell it. Please advise.
RK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 12:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK16 View Post
I require it for city usage so i am looking for good FE. Maybe will take it to outstation 2-3 times a year max. Wekly usage will be around 100-120 Kms.

Are you sure that WagonR will get good resale value after the new model comes. I am planning to keep the car for 3 yrs atleast and then sell it. Please advise.
I own a WagonR. Its a good car. But, i guess Spark makes more sense (considering Santro/WagonR are almost at the end of their life cycles).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 19:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
Slightly OT.

Nimz, I think you own a spark. Does the spark service package, 7600 Rs for 3 years, includes even part replacements [ex: bulbs, worn out plastic parts] or only the oil change and routine maintenance
No clue and I dont think I opted for a service package.. Just went and got the car. I can find out and let you know.

@RK - given your requirements. Santro / Wagon R / Spark should do.

I'd recommend the Sparky because
- its a great city car
- Doesnt let you down on the highways either
- Handles like a dream and good ride quality (gas shocks and tubeless tires)
- Decent FE (13 Kmpl odd in city)
- Low maintenance cost
- Should have good re-sale value as the car is entirely not a dud.

Hope that helps

NImz
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 03:33   #9
BHPian

@ nimz : Have you to seperately opt for the service package . I thought the cost of the car was inclusive of the 3 year warranty/service.
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK16 View Post
I am interested in buying spark but as it is a new car in the indian market which is yet to be proven,i am a little apprehensive in going forward with it.
Although I will not be able to give details, but according to reports the Chevy Spark is a reincarnation of the Dawoo Matiz which was an excellent car and way ahead of its time in India when first launched here. In this sense, the car is not that new. Of course, many things like the engine choice or the gas filled shock absorbers must be chevy's contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Have you to seperately opt for the service package . I thought the cost of the car was inclusive of the 3 year warranty/service.
My understanding after a showroom visit of a Chevy dealer in Kolkata is that the Chevy warranty and the Chevy service package are two distinct things.
1) Warranty of 36 months/100,00kms comes free with the car
2) service package for 36 months at a given cost is for the routine maintenance of the car that one needs to buy separately. Obviously it should be a choice that one may opt for.

I was not very attentive when the guy was expalining these things to me. So check with a local dealer.
asitkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 01:29   #11
BHPian

Incidentally I saw a Red Spark on the road today... Interestingly, it was only the second Spark I have seen yet on Delhi roads, which to me seems to indicate slow sales. Anyway, the car seems pretty tiny, which is why I didn't go for the Spark (I ended up choosing the Estilo and am damn happy with it). I also didn't like the general look of the car. The best thing (in terms of exteriors) to me about it is the green colour they are offering.

Take a test drive - that would be the best thing you can do right now.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 02:36   #12
BHPian

Have seen around 4-5 SPARKS in bangalore. Yes the car does look tiny, but i suppose they were meant to be so.

@ FORUM : Does one need to drop SPARK because it looks tiny ????
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:50   #13
BHPian

I just got a Spark after researching for looong time. If your comparision is with Wagon R, I think Spark is much much refined car. I have driven Wagon R, Santro and Alto (my earlier car) before finalising on Spark. I think only area Wagon R scores is the boot space. (I have not driven Zen Estillo, so can't comment)

Spark is actually not a tiny car. Please check the actual dimensions and ask someone to sit in the back while TD. It offers decent leg space.

I strongly recommend to TD Spark before choosing. Engine is very silent and very responsive. It is difficult to believe that it is just 1.0 engine. I have a feeling that acceleration it offers is much better than wagaon R. Suspensions are really good, both at front and rear. Interiors are best in small class segment. It is not only color of dash, but all small things that you need while driving are well taken care of.

Some -ve points I have observed are - 1. Seats are oddly designed. Some problem with lumbar support and thigh support
2. placement of brakes and accelerator. These are too close.
3. Smaller Boot size
4. No provision for 5"-6" speaker in front.
5. GM's A.S.Service may not be as good as Maruti. This is bit early to say as I have not heard any first hand reports. I will have to wait to experience it.

I think first -ve may be just matter of getting used to.
If I do subtraction the positives that I got from Spark are good enough by wide margine to compensate for -ve points
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:08   #14
BHPian

Team,

Dont you guys feel that Spark is a little over priced? I feel Wagon R and Santro are better value for money with the A.S.S and quality.
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Team,

Dont you guys feel that Spark is a little over priced? I feel Wagon R and Santro are better value for money with the A.S.S and quality.
Yes, I thought so. But after experiencing what I am going to get in this price, I was ready to pay that extra price, though bit reluctantly. I don't think there is any problem with the quality. I think Spark quality is even better than other cars in the same class. There is doubt about A.S.S., but that is because of absence of any report about GM A.S.S. I don't think there are any negative reports about GM A.S.S. But this can be a major factor for those staying in smaller towns or rural area.

Ofcourse, it is matter of individual choice and individual budget.

Those interested in Spark can also go through thread started by Nimz who finally zeroed in on Spark. But this thread talks more about Spark, U-VA and Palio. You can also read Nimz thread on long term ownership report.
radek is offline   Reply With Quote