Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 22nd July 2007, 23:32   #1
BANNED

Default Indica Vs Palio

Hi Team,
Need some help with a few questions regarding a car i am planning to go in for. do read on & help me with the questions at the end of the post.
  • Budget : second hand car between 2 to 2.5 lakhs under exceptional conditions 3L, but not a cent more.
  • Since I live alone in Bangalore This car will be mostly used to cart me around.( single person around 50% ) ( two or more persons 50% ) of the times
  • I donít expect to be using it a lot for daily commuting to my office. Plan to keep using my bike as it is more convenient. I expect Occasional weekend highway runs will be doing the major mile crunching.So lets say 20 % or less city & 80 % or more highway.Total monthly mileage of about 1000Kms
  • The Vehicle has got to be a Second hand one. ( I belong to the school of though that believes that a vehicle losses a large % of value the moment its driven outside the showroom )[/FONT]
  • Also I would expect a few dints & dents to come up in Bangalore traffic.I also donít intent to keep this car for longer then 2 years ( resale value is important )my budget will not permit a new vehicle at this point in time.
  • Good highway manners, reliable & safe : I foresee a lot of my driving happening at un-earthly hours, on the highway & alone. Hence the vehicle should have bullet proof reliability ( at least close to that will do. ) I donít fancy getting stuck in the middle of nowhere at an un-earthly hour cause something silly went wrong with the car.[/FONT]
  • I've seen a few horrible accidents on the highways with cars which in my opinion should not be doing high speeds on the highways. e.g. 800, zen, alto.
  • FE : the vehicle should not be a guzzler as this will discourage me from long distance runs, which is one of the top reasons I am going in for a car.
  • Would prefer a diesel car or at least a petrol one which can run on lpg / cng. ( donít fancy lugging a tank full of gas in the boot for reasons of safety though )All these specs said & done here is what I short listed
  • Palio diesel :
Dint think the palio would be that good a vehicle until I read the various threads on this site. Seems to have my entire wish list built-in, but what's scary is the resale value & the service hiccups.
  • Indica diesel:
A recent entrant on my radar, it Seems to have the reliability & FE , no service hiccups as the palio.But fit & finish & resale value are major question marks for me.

------------------------------------------------------
And now for the Questions to the Team.

Palio:
  1. Whats the average age & odometer reading for a palio that I would need to overhaul the engine ?
  2. Would a car which has travelled about 75,000 Km be considered as half of its life over ?
  3. How would a 1.6 with a gas kit perform? Would I get the same performance as a petrol one.
( I'am finding a good quality diesel palio a little difficult to get )

Indicar
  1. Whats the ideal engine life I should consider for both petrol & diesel, Incase I end up buying the indicar.
  2. How well does this car behave on the highway & whats its crash safety ?
Any other questions or pointers I should be considering ?

next : fine tuning the price
sfilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:07   #2
BHPian

I suggest a good maintained Indica D, but you will have to check it well- Make sure it has not clocked over 1 Lakh Km, Thats the Time Diesel engines need constant attention.

Indica D is built solid and will cost lower in terms of Maintainence and Spare parts in respects to any car in its class.

Known Issues with Indica D after usage are Fuel Pump Adjustment,Alternator Power.

You will need a to visit a TASC to get a thorough feed back on the car you shortlist.

As for Petrol, Instead of a Palio look at Alto or Zen which in turn are cheap to maintain and are decently lasting well upto 1 Lakh KM, The only factor against a Palio will be Spare parts Costing and Not so good FE as these cars..but otherwise Palio is a One and Only of its kind. If you do find a decent well maintained one that is.

As you're looking at a Second hand, Last thing you should bother is about Fit and Finish, It will already have been used well enough, The Indica is a strong and built to last car and so is a Palio, As long as you find a Non Accident and Maintained Buy go for it, Interiors can be changed to your liking, so can exteriors.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Talking

I would suggest a PalioD instead.

PalioD FOR:
  • Reliablity
  • Power
  • Good FE
  • Safety
  • Good suspension
  • Build Quality which is 1001 times better than the Tata vehicles(EXPERIENCE SPEAKS).
And Fiat service has improved a lot more now compared to the dark years for Fiat Lovers. I have driven my cousin's Palio D which had clocked around 80K KMS+ and the vehicle was as good as NEW.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Resale is important -> Go for the Indica. That being said, I feel the Palio D will be far more refined.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Please look for an Indica Turbo (TDi or whatever they call it). For a diesel car its rather fun to drive. The Turbo also comes with much better looking black plastics as against the drab, dowdy grey in standard Indicas.

Everything's right about the Turbo Indica except the steering wheel position, which IMHO still sux big time.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

2.5L may get you an used indica turbo, but it will be hard to find.
Palio D is a more refined car, but forget about resale value. Also parts etc., may be more difficult. Tata is really pushing Palio Petrol but the D is getting a stepmotherly treatment.
That said, go for a vehicle with complete service history.
In your budget the car should have done around 35-50K kms and around 4 years old or less.
Tata maintains the entire logbook of all repairs carried out, so tell the seller to get a printout from his TASC.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Palio D is a more refined car.
I doubt it. Drive a recent Indica Turbo and you will say bye bye to this statement.

The Palio D ages rather badly - it used to feel a bit tighter than the Indica straight out of the showroom, but the diesel Palios age rather badly with LOTS of rattles and mechanical issues not found in the Petrol version.

The interiors are as bad, though the plastic quality is slightly better in terms of fit.
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

Turbo will be out of his budget, esp with high BLR on road prices.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Everything's right about the Turbo Indica except the steering wheel position, which IMHO still sux big time.
Incidentally, I regard the steering position of the Indica as one of its best features. It never touches your knees or legs and you can move them freely.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
And now for the Questions to the Team.

Palio:
  1. Whats the average age & odometer reading for a palio that I would need to overhaul the engine ?
  2. Would a car which has travelled about 75,000 Km be considered as half of its life over ?
  3. How would a 1.6 with a gas kit perform? Would I get the same performance as a petrol one.
( I'am finding a good quality diesel palio a little difficult to get )

Indicar
  1. Whats the ideal engine life I should consider for both petrol & diesel, Incase I end up buying the indicar.
  2. How well does this car behave on the highway & whats its crash safety ?
Any other questions or pointers I should be considering ?

next : fine tuning the price
If you want a detailed comparison between Palio Diesel and Indica diesel, I would suggest that you open the following link and read the second file:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...t%20Documents/

However, I would suggest that you stay away from Palio D since it does not have the backing of Tata and spares might be difficult to come by.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Incidentally, I regard the steering position of the Indica as one of its best features. It never touches your knees or legs and you can move them freely.
Ohh no ways! It is a bad position to drive in for short people because the steering is in your way of vision. A little lower and parallel to the front seat should do good.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:41   #12
BHPian

U may want to look at Palio D for refinement and driving pleasure...which indica lacks and miles behind...The mileage difference between two is not quite big...
madhu_calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Too high. Like MF said it is preferable to have the steering a bit more parallel than perpendicular - the upward tilt is very truck/bus like. Yes it doesnt mess with your knees and stuff, but you'd rather be holding the steering down than hanging on to it.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd July 2007 at 17:00.
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu_calvin View Post
U may want to look at Palio D for refinement and driving pleasure...which indica lacks and miles behind...
Hi MC,

The Indica Turbo is as refined as the Palio if not ahead. The non-turbo is not as refined. The Palio D is heavier on maintenance as well compared to the Indica.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu_calvin View Post
U may want to look at Palio D for refinement and driving pleasure...which indica lacks and miles behind...The mileage difference between two is not quite big...
refinement is certainly not the diesel palio's pride, and neither is power. where it scores high is in the steering and the ride quality. the new ones(turbos) are just as refined, and are 'miles ahead' () in power output.

the palio is undoubtedly good in steering feel and the suspension is surely good material. but it goes down viz. the indica on every other front - including the interiors.

it's beyond debate that the palio interiors are a great let-down. the indica turbo's black shade is not bad at all. i love the palio for what it is, but you can't deny credit to the indica either.

Last edited by skandyhere : 23rd July 2007 at 17:21. Reason: for confidential reasons.
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote