Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 27th July 2007, 17:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

@Soumya

Its the spark u will have to look at considering you will be driving the car after learning lessons. Its very easy to drive in city traffic and is stable on highways. I think u will face difficulty in handling swift in city traffic.
Take a drive and decide. That would be best.
Old 27th July 2007, 17:45   #32
BHPian

Smile

learning to drive is not that an important factor for me. see, if i cannot drive swift, how can i drive a honda cr-v if needed to. i will make sure that i learn to drive properly and not learn to drive only the maruti 800 learning car. and one more thing, as i said if i fail to convince my parents, which car should i tell them to buy? (spark/getz/u-va)?
Old 27th July 2007, 18:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Soumya
I think spark makes sense considering long term cost of ownership.
Even U-VA is a good deal. If u go on practicality then Aveo U-VA is ur car. Check it out. Has lot of space, good looking, good boot space and peppy engine.
Old 27th July 2007, 18:45   #34
BHPian

Go for the Hyundai Getz - 1.3L version. Its spacious, terrific A.S.S and value for money.

-Harshavardhan
Old 27th July 2007, 19:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumya View Post
while the chevy spark is good, it also lacks that space. i want a car which has space, a decent engine and after sales service. we are a family of three. but sometimes my grandmother, relatives or my cousins will also get in. i know i need a truck to fit them all! so what's the best choice people?
Did you sit inside the Spark.. front and rear seats.. push the front seats back and try sitting again.. and its got more than a decent engine and lovely handling..and ride

Nimz
Old 27th July 2007, 19:05   #36
BHPian

sowmya,

1) Swift VXI 4,72,000
2) U-VA 1.2 4,41,000
3) Getz Prime 1.1 4,28,000
4) Spark LT 4,38,000

From the above list, you have to eliminate Swift and Spark as you were talking about more space. With Getz and U-VA, the later is costly and the service is not as good as Maruti or Hyundai. So the only choice left is Getz Prime which gives more space and the cost is reachable.

All the best for your new car.
Old 27th July 2007, 19:32   #37
BHPian

hyundai getz 1.3 L is again out of my reach. so swift cannot sit 3 people in the rear sit comfortably, huh?
Old 27th July 2007, 20:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Soumya, since you need Space & comfort, U-VA will be the right choice!
GM Service is decent, though not so widespread like Maruti etc.
Old 27th July 2007, 21:42   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumya View Post
learning to drive is not that an important factor for me. see, if i cannot drive swift, how can i drive a honda cr-v if needed to. i will make sure that i learn to drive properly and not learn to drive only the maruti 800 learning car.
Nice thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
Go for the Hyundai Getz - 1.3L version. Its spacious, terrific A.S.S and value for money
Isn't it way over her budget?
Old 27th July 2007, 21:58   #40
BHPian

If the choice is between U-VA and Getz 1.1, I may go for the U-VA for the following reasons:
1. At least on paper, U-VA has more power. I have driven U-VA and it handles adequately.
2. According to ACI, U-VA gives better FE.
3. Chevy is offering 3 year/100,000km warranty on Spark and U-VA

But you should also keep in mind that there are three Hyundai dealers opposed to two Chevy dealers in Kolkata. But out of the three Hyundai service centers, one has a horrible record. Chevy has also some nice maintenance package on offer.

One thing about the U-VA base version I really really dislike is that it does NOT come with tinted glass. I cannot believe that a car costing in excess of 4.4 lakhs on road does not have tinted glass which even an Alto has, I think.
Old 28th July 2007, 07:53   #41
BHPian

@asitkde: Thats true that the base doesnt have tinted glass...

In fact, I also thought that I'd miss on the premium fabric seats, tinted glass, the antenna, the wheel covers when I bought the UVA Base.

But I noticed, even customers who buy the UVA LS (or any car for that matter) usually get themselves new seat covers and their own sun film.

So, I wouldnt miss on these things. I can get these fitted later...

1. Art Leather seat covers cost... 4.5K at dealer, 3K outside
2. Wheel caps cost... Not available at dealer, Rs. 375/- for a set of 4
3. Chevy UVA Antenna... Rs 350/- at the dealer
4. Tinted glass... (3M) 4K at dealer, 3K (Llumar) outside.
5. Remote locking (Autocops Cobra) 3.7K at dealer. The variant with Engine immobiliser is also available for about 1K more. Must be even cheaper outside.

But yes, what I'd miss the most is the Power windows...You cant get this fitted at the dealer nor anywhere else as of now.

Also add to the list, the ABS, rear window wiper and defogger and also the fog lamps. Cant get these fitted afterwards.

- EMD

PS: One thing I'd like to add here...

I personally feel the UVA is better in comparision with the Getz 1.1 for its FE, price and power. The Getz 1.3 is better in all respects no doubt, but pricey. Would advise to buy the SWIFT instead of the Getz 1.3 if money is the concern and looks are not!

Last edited by EatMyDust : 28th July 2007 at 08:00.
Old 28th July 2007, 09:42   #42
BHPian

Question

after all your feedback, i have decided that the swift vxi is the best bet but my parents are not keen on spending 30,000 more. they say that it's not 3 rupees. i have told them that car's are like once in 5-6 years, so why not spend that extra. they replied that you can stretch an elastic untill it can break, and in this case it would break. i have really failed to convince them. the next choice would be the u-va but they are not too sure about the A.S.S. Guys, I really don't like the Getz. It has got no personality (according to me). I am really confused!
Old 28th July 2007, 20:36   #43
BHPian

If you are not able to stretch and convince your family then SPARK should be the ultimate choice.
Old 28th July 2007, 20:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

The U-VA is a nice car, but i would not advice you to buy it now since it is not a run away success & we don't know how long GM will keep the model. Better choices are Getz (you dont like it), Spark or the WagonR.
Old 28th July 2007, 21:35   #45
BHPian

i have learnt that the esteem has a whooping discount of 40,000 but i really don't like that car either!
Closed Thread