Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 28th July 2007, 21:41   #46
BHPian

hey guys, can you give me any idea or any reason i should tell my parents so that they would strech their budgets and not go for the base versions of u-va or getz and buy the swift vxi instead! the problem is that my parents are not too excited about the additional features like power windows and central locking!
Old 28th July 2007, 22:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

From what I garner, thats the best option for you. Better to go for the Swift VXi. I am sure you can enlighten your parents on the positives of having power windows, central locking et al. Maybe, you can take them for a test drive in a VXi to convince them (if you haven't already).

Last edited by rr_zen : 28th July 2007 at 22:22.
Old 29th July 2007, 00:08   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumya View Post
hey guys, can you give me any idea or any reason i should tell my parents so that they would strech their budgets and not go for the base versions of u-va or getz and buy the swift vxi instead! the problem is that my parents are not too excited about the additional features like power windows and central locking!
How about resale value?

Swift, being a Maruti would defenitly fetch the best resale value among the above three cars.
Old 29th July 2007, 00:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, here are the reasons.

1. GM has a very bad reputation in stopping production of models
2. GM spares & service are expensive ( )
3. The getz is a failure model.
Old 29th July 2007, 08:10   #50
BHPian

Question

why is the getz a failure model? i mean it looks like one but what is the reason?
Old 29th July 2007, 09:18   #51
BHPian

GETZ 1.1 is not so good on power, it has the santro engine. Its not as fuel efficient as the SWIFT.

GETZ 1.3 is too expensive in its class.
Old 29th July 2007, 11:04   #52
BHPian

Quote:
My parents are going to buy a car and they have a budget at around 4 lakhs. We have shorlisted four cars :-

1) Spark LT
2) Getz Prime 1.1 GLE
3) Aveo U-VA 1.2
4) Swift LXi

Initially we were going for the Spark LT but my parents complained for the lack of space. We will be using the car mostly in the city. I will drive the car as soon as I have finished my driving lessons. After sales service should be good than a FIAT atleast. We will travel like 500 kms a month. Well, the this car will be father's first and last car and so we are keeping it forever. So guys, what do you say?
I would recommend that you check out Getz. Its very spacious and comfortable too. Swift is cramped in comparison.
Old 29th July 2007, 11:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

Every car has one or other drawback, According to me Swift has more problems than other cars listed here. We pay more for UVA/Getz to get better quality car and better comfort.

When we talk about car requirement for you after reading this post practicality (space/comfort/fit and finish) comes first for me rather than thinking for cheap to buy or cheap to maintain. Swift lacks in practicality so its ruled out in your case.

Buying the car for lifetime so it must be practical car nothing else.

So happiness is more important than A.S.S or save the money while buying or maintanance. About A.S.S. its same for all cars and from all manufacturers. There are many people disappointed on Maruti, Hyundai A.S.S. So this depend on luck and area and dealer. Also we have multiple options now so we can find good service stations to service our cars.

I know you are not interested about Fiat. But here is my take on Fiat.

Fiat and tied up Tata so A.S.S is not issue at all its just people's feelings FIAT is doing bad, In 2008 indian public will realize importance of Fiat cars in India. So thinking big and for bright future think Fiat and buy it, Its nothing but Pailo Stile 1.1 SLX which is under 4 lac ex show room. This fits
your bill too. Its spacious as entry level sedan and more strong and gives comfort of 10+ lacs sedans. The car your parents buy is for lifetime and you will be on wheels. You will get best driving pleasure and they will be very happy in back seat!

Still not convinced then buy Swift VXI or LXI eye closed and get ready to listen rattles with good A.S.S. from Maruti ( at least what public say)

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 29th July 2007 at 11:54.
Old 29th July 2007, 12:00   #54
LLL
BHPian

on fiat, read another thread on someone's problems when he tried to buy a fiat adventure. Dealers didnt have brochures/manuals and company is using old raw materal (2001) in manufacturing 2007 cars...rest is ur call.

i would suggest stick to maruti, huyndai and GM.
Old 29th July 2007, 12:31   #55
BHPian

Default CAR under 4 lacs

You can also consider Fiat 1.1 and Fiat 1.6,
It's a great product especially 1.6,if average is a point of concern than consider 1.1,Fiat has a good product and tata has a good service network,although new car does not ask for maintenance till 70k kms,just regular service.

Have a test drive of Fiat 1.1 it's has good space also.
Old 29th July 2007, 15:30   #56
BHPian

see, i cannot take that much risk and give fiat a try.it's too risky and my parents will never have faith in fiat because they don't like the padmini which my neighbour and uncle has for about 10 years! is it true that every swift has rattling problems or is it rare?
Old 29th July 2007, 15:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why is the getz a failure model? i mean it looks like one but what is the reason?
Ha ha ha.
Primarily because it was overpriced.
Old 29th July 2007, 16:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Soumya, you'll need to decide your priorities. As someone has said earlier, you will have to make some compromises.

Given your requirements, I would have thought thus.
1. I need a car within 4.4 OTR max.
2. I will keep it for eternity. It should be easy to maintain. A.S.S. should be good and readily available.

Based on these two factors alone, in Kolkata, I'd shortlist only Maruti & Hyundai. Which means the Swift LXi, Getz Prime 1.1

Now comes a subjective thing. Looks. Perception. You seem to dislike the Getz. Dump it then. That leaves the Swift LXi. Which is slightly cramped (compromise) compared to the Getz. But has a peppier engine and is more fun to drive.

I'd say go for it. Power windows, remote locking etc can always be fitted later on to Swifts. T-BHPians in Kolkata have done it.

Start choosing your colour

Also, PM me your number. I'll check actual VXi price and let you know if its lesser than 4.7L

Last edited by shuvc : 29th July 2007 at 16:16.
Old 29th July 2007, 18:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Every car has one or other drawback.
I totally agree! You only need to know these before-hand so that you dont feel let down later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
When we talk about car requirement for you after reading this post practicality (space/comfort/fit and finish) comes first for me rather than thinking for cheap to buy or cheap to maintain. Swift lacks in practicality so its ruled out in your case.

Buying the car for lifetime so it must be practical car nothing else.
I have a question here for the car gurus. Everyone says the swift is not a practical car; in fact one of the car mags (was that ACI? not sure) also mentions openly that the swift is not practical.

What do we actually mean when we say that a car is not practical?

I see every tom, dick and harry (bhajiwallas and doodhwalas included) nowadays owns a SWIFT. Does this mean so many people are owning impractical cars?

I'm really at a loss in understanding the practicality of a car. My post is not intented for any kind of flaming. Just wanted my doubts to be cleared and wanted to know how to measure the practicality parameter of a car.

-EMD
Old 30th July 2007, 11:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

With ur requirements i think u have to get a custom build car or else shell out more money. When it comes to money, people on this forum cannot guide u. So take ur own decision.

I understand how tough is to take a decision on buying a new car these days. N i think final decision should be urs.

Last edited by djay99 : 30th July 2007 at 11:15.
Closed Thread