Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 15th August 2007, 22:53   #1
BHPian

Default Ikon 1.3 flair/Getz 1.3/Swift VXi Or Palio stile 1.6

Hi All,

Need your help in here... I had posted in other threads also.. Then later on i thought it would be better if i put down my choices..!!..

Ikon 1.3 -> Or i should get one 1.6 used car?.. Still mileage is my concern here...

Getz 1.3 and Swift VXi -> These 2 were my first choices before i thought
of ikon and heard anout new Palio... Swift has not sticked in to my mind tho it has good look because of the rattling issues and less spacious.... And the Getz i feel it's lil over prized for the look...

Palio Stile 1.6 -> After i read all the reviews and comments from owners i am impressed with this new machiene. But the service, parts and mileage is a concern here..

Now here is my driving figure, (bangalore)
15-20 KM/day and i have to cross intermediate ring road to and fro office... then long drives are rare... i like power and speed... I have a 2003 zen now..!!..

So the owners of hte above mentioned cars in bangalore... if you can help me understand the FE of the cars and driving experience it would be great...!!... Also in case of palio, the best dealer and service station name..!!..

Thanks guys..!!
~~VinZ~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 23:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Ikon 1.3 vs Swift. The Palio 1.6 doest qualify for your mileage requirements while the Getz 1.3 is not VFM at all.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 23:53   #3
BHPian

Hi,

If the boot is not a must, between the ikon and swift, i would pick the swift.
If you do require a boot and you can strech you budget a little, I would suggest you to consider the Aveo 1.4.
Currently the dealers are giving good discounts and hence its very good VFM.
I had test driven Swift, Ikon 1.3 and Logan 1.6 before finalizing the Aveo.
The Logan, apart from the engine smoothness(which I found lacking) is not a bad car either.

You can take a look at my review of Aveo at :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-4-review.html
arup10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 00:44   #4
BHPian

Go for swift buying a used Ikon is very easy cause every one is selling it has one of the lowest resale values which cleary speaks out many things
and being mileage you concern there is only one word AVOID
rubin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 01:19   #5
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Ikon 1.3 vs Swift. The Palio 1.6 doest qualify for your mileage requirements while the Getz 1.3 is not VFM at all.
If mileage is the factor, then it should rule out the Ikon as well, right?
My choice: Swift - but I don't qualify as "..owners of the above cars in Bangalore" !!
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 08:58   #6
BHPian

if long drives are rare i suggest you ditch the boot.
if really want to consider the getz you shouldn't look beyond the 1.1L version. the 1.3L isnt worth it. you might as well pick a swift for that price.
the new palio 1.6 returns around 10kmpl inside city with AC. if you can live with that its a great car to drive. but don't expect the finish and build quality of its earlier mates. it clearly shows fiat has cut corners with this one.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 10:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
If mileage is the factor, then it should rule out the Ikon as well, right?
It might rule out the Ikon 1.6, but definitely not the 1.3 Flair.
Vinz, for my Long Term report on the Flair 2006, please go through this thread.

Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ir-2006-a.html

I would suggest you take a test drive of the car, rather than go by hearsay alone. If not the Ikon, Swift VXi it is. However, there is a waiting period which you would need to cionsider.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 10:55   #8
BHPian

On the Mileage front Ikon Flair is no way to be ruled out.

My Ikon flair returns me a decent FE of 12-13 kmpl in city and worst i saw was 8 but this was in the days when car was only days old.

Swift on the other hand can also be considered but it is cramped up and also the wait period as mentioned by Benny.

Aveo 1.4 would come to nothing less than 6.4lac that the base version or max 6.2lac. A fully loaded Ikon(spolier, alloy wheels etc) must land max of 5.6 or 5.7 lac.

Aveo on othe hand has 3 yr unlimited warranty and you get similr from Ford is extended warranty.

However on the maintainence in terms of service/part cost Swift has some edge.

You may still look at Uva if not happy among these.
VC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 18:03   #9
BHPian

I decided against swift due to space constraints...you may refer to one of my old threads on Ikon Flair..I had the same reqmnts as you have...my Ikon is now 16 months old and I dnt have any issues...my mileage is around 14.5(with 30 % AC, 70 % highway driving)....In short,its a practical car...Jack of all....I ruled out swift as it was cramped at the back....my wife hated it....
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 11:10   #10
Team-BHP Support

Nitin, havent seen you active on the forum since a long time !!
Good to know that your car has been treating you well. How many kms has the car clocked by now?

Meanwhile, time to update the snaps in your gallery.
We have a couple of Long term report threads running on the Ikon Flair. Post your experiences there.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 14:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Assuming the following:
800km/month running (20/day +200km trip) = 38400km in four years
60Rs/L - average petrol cost over the four years you'd keep it (like you've kept zen for four years)
Palio 1.6's FE as 10, "Insert more Fuel Efficient Car Name here" Car as 12.5

Over FOUR long years, the incremental costs are 46080. That is just not worth losing your sleep over. Or in stop-go traffic (like i'veheard of blr), the fun of the car flying when the pedal is floored. Its a personal car - don't split hairs over mileage when you like power&speed. Maintenance costs would be a bigger issue IMO.

So go for a proven reliable car that makes your heart beats faster
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 01:20   #12
BHPian

Hi theMAG, arup10, rubin2006, strider, flipsyde, benbsb29, vc12, nitinhegde and phamilyman..... Thanks to each one of you for your comments... Sorry guys, i was not ignorning any comments. I could not come online cuz am on bed rest... kinda hibernated for some days..

I like the comment you said phamilyman "Its a personal car - don't split hairs over mileage when you like power&speed.".. True fact

Nitin - Yea, even my mind was against swift because of the space constraints and the ratling issue that i heard... And good mileage for your ikon..

VC12 - The aveo 1.4 is more priced when compared to the carsw in that class.. But i heard the interior is dull...

benbsb - Thanks for that report link... Ikon is my alltime fav car.. I'll take a test drive..

flipsyde - thanks, palio stile has impressed me well... yet to see the interiors..

Strider - You can see some comments by ikon owners.. i do know ikon 1.6 gives less mileage but the flair is good in FE... i heard and now the owners comments

Rubin - I am almost droping the option of buying a used 1.6 ikon.. But swift i need to think, cuz of the space...

Arup - I am waiting to get out of bed to check discounts..

thaMAG - I dont know, but some how i am really so much towards palio stile 1.6..

Thanks to all.. Keep posting your comments and suggestions... I will surely post my feedback after i take testdrive of each car..

Last edited by ~~VinZ~~ : 21st August 2007 at 01:23.
~~VinZ~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 12:07   #13
BHPian

Go in for Swift petrol if you drive less or diesel. I got my Swift Vxi petrol and its been a month and I have clocked 825kms till date. Yesterday I drove continously for 250kms and it was rocking I got around 16.5 average with speed averaging to 85 to 90kmph.
raghutk is offline   Reply With Quote