Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 3rd September 2007, 22:20   #31
BHPian

Guys i have budget resctriction of 4.5L max and can not strech beyond.. i dont think UVA comes at low price
varunghatge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 23:05   #32
BHPian

I'd recommend the UVA too.
95% city driving - you wont feel the strain in the UVA and it doenst have a small car look and feel. And it has load of space to accomodate tall people.

Running cost & Maint cost - the chevrolet promise is on!! and GM is all set to improve.. FE for UVA is around 12 in city if am not wrong. I dont own an UVA but thats what EMD gets. You can PM him for more details.

Nimz
Nimz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 23:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Consider Getz, Swift, Spark or U-VA.
Its not worth spending 4lacs and more on Santro or Wagon R
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 11:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunghatge View Post
Guys i have budget resctriction of 4.5L max and can not strech beyond.. i dont think UVA comes at low price
Varun, OTR of U-VA base is 456,372 [incl the corp discount of 8k + remote central locking free], if you need power windows then + 15k. For the LS model it is 5.05L.

U-VA base + power windows is definitely more VFM than getz 1.1 GLE [More power, more torque, low maintenance cost and resale value should be about the same]

Santro and WagonR are much smaller cars. I will chose Santro XO over the WagonR Vxi [Now I think Santro has 0% interest scheme till Sep 15th]
Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 14:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
Varun, OTR of U-VA base is 456,372 [incl the Santro and WagonR are much smaller cars. I will chose Santro XO over the WagonR Vxi [Now I think Santro has 0% interest scheme till Sep 15th]
this skim is not avilable in pune.. in that case wagonr vxi has more goodies than santro xo so should i go for wagnor
Old 5th September 2007, 01:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
this skim is not avilable in pune.. in that case wagonr vxi has more goodies than santro xo so should i go for wagnor
Hi.. dont get me wrong but do you want to buy a car just for the goodies??
Nimz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 08:23   #37
BHPian

I guess all the cars listed Santro/WagonR/AVeoUVA/SWIFT/Getz are good cars for city. As you had mentioned 99%of city use, its better to go for cheaper and better option like Santro or WagonR.

My friend has a Santro for last 4 years, and he is very happy with the car for city drive. You can save some money on the initial investment and enjoy the zippy drive as well.

If you intend to do more of highway drive, then definetly getz/Swift/Aveo UVA will be a better option.
prskumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 09:40   #38
BHPian

considering you are around 6-2 you should go in for swift vxi or hyundai getz. Santro is a very good car but has less cabin scap for a person for your height. The Wagon R is also a good car but its goind to be phased out in the begining of 2008 and replaced by the splash.
The getz is a much better car to drive than the swift but the overall running cost spare parts is expensive. The Swift should be best for you as it has power fuel economy and cheap to maintain and pleasure to drive
hbkamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 11:42   #39
BHPian

Hi Varun i know you must be going crazy with kind of response you getting...Everyone saying everything....Well I will suggest you something out of thread.. Why dont you buy a Used Getz.
1. Will be cheaper than used Swift.
2. Getz has no issues of clutch and all what so ever.
3. You can save on quite a lot of money there.
4. If you dont like it you can sell it for loss of not much money.
Even am planning to buy a car but i am gng only for good used car. Am not gng for Swift coz it has issues with clutch and all. so getz coz of its low used cost... Best of luck...
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 14:26   #40
BHPian

yesterday i test drove ,uva swift and getz: this is wat i ound:

Swift: pros: Excellent driveability, smooth drive ,excellent stearing,brand maruti in india is big in terms of service and resale value

cons: poor space in front but more so in rear,poor suspension, very common nowadays

Getz1.1: pros: spacious, good features(in base model unlike in uva where these features are only in top model) like rear saet 60:40 folding, rear defogger,tilt straering ; suspension is exellent; ;good gear box.brand hyundai is better in terms of resale and *** than chevy.

cons: driveabilty was not upto the mark,power stearing was bad,

Uva: pros: good looks, feel of a big car from outside as well as when u sit inside it, driveabilty is not as good as swift but much better than getz 1.1; excellent suspension.

cons: brand chevy not to popular in india so resale and *** will be poor. features like tilt stearing and seat folding are only in top models unlike getz!
dr_aryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 11:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
mine will be 95% city driving and runnig cost and maintaince cost are concerns ..also this is my first car so i am getting confused evry day so i request all bhpian to help me out
I bought my first car in 2001 - a WagonR Vxi. It has just completed 6 years and has clocked 52K kms. IMO this is an absolutely no-nonsense and a very practical car specially in city driving. Everyone in my family loves this car for its comfort and space.

Your concerns:
1) FE: Mine is giving 13-14 without AC / 12-13 with AC
2) Maintenance: Virtually zero. I get it serviced at around every 5000kms, i.e. roughly once a year. Expense: Rs. 500-1200. Apart from this, I have recently changed both the front tyres.

Considering your height and other desires, I would suggest WagonR. You may also try UVA...another VFM product.
LokeshG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 13:28   #42
BHPian

Lokesh but Wagonr is going to be phased out next year and will be replaced by splash..and i guess this is sufficient reason to not go for it
Old 10th September 2007, 19:11   #43
BHPian

Varun,
I didnt understand...how come UVA base model is not available in Pune?It should be..and in case dealers there are not keen on selling it, you can always buy it from mumbai.
There wont be any road tax related problems.
And i am sure, if you tell the UVA dealer about your plan, he will arrange for a UVA in Pune itself.
Frankly speaking for 4.5L budget, there is nothing that comes close to UVA. It will be worth all the hassels getting it.

FYI:one of my friend bought his Swift from Udupi(within 1 week) after he was told that the wait period in bangalore is abt 2 months.
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 10:28   #44
BHPian

based on your requirements:
1.wagon r duo(fuel effective, good headspace since uyou are tall,marutifor service)
2.indica xeta1.2(value for money much cheaper than wagon r santro etc.)
3.chevy uva(feel of a big car, chevy brand coming up in india, good space and leg rooms)
Old 16th September 2007, 10:44   #45
BHPian

what have you decided?