Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 13th September 2007, 12:31   #31

Hey Guys,
Thanks to all for the valuable suggestions and inputs in helping me in buying my first car.

I test drove UVA. Its pretty nice car so as Swift VXI.

I definitely cannot rate one above the car on the minimal TD that i took of this. But I am finally booking Swift VXI on the plus point that Swift will have better resale value, service of Maruti can be obtained on larger network through out the country

Any suggestions you would like to give me while taking delivery of Swift VXI
mcubea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 12:48   #32
BANNED

Congratulations on your Swift VXI. It's a good car and will definitely give you some good experience as a first car.

As for some suggestions, here goes;
The tyres which comes from with the car is pathetic. It is slim and doesn't do any justice to the car. Change it to a bigger/better ones. There're lots of threads explaining this in Tyres and Alloys section. Please go thru it.
Get some good floor mats which can collect all the muck we carry in our shoes.
Get the extended warranty if you can afford it. You may also bargain for it to be included free with the price.
Bargain a lot and get as much low price you can. Check out different dealers and special offers.
Get a paint protection coat/Teflon coat. Helps in longer exposes to sun. Also get an under body coat. Helps in rainy conditions.
Don't fall into some dealer fancy talk. Get your after market accessories done at some good place. Dealers normally overcharge.
Don't get reverse sensors etc.. They're just some gizmo stuff. Not at all necessary in a car of this size.

Enjoy!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 14:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubea View Post
Hey Guys,
Thanks to all for the valuable suggestions and inputs in helping me in buying my first car.

I test drove UVA. Its pretty nice car so as Swift VXI.

I definitely cannot rate one above the car on the minimal TD that i took of this. But I am finally booking Swift VXI on the plus point that Swift will have better resale value, service of Maruti can be obtained on larger network through out the country

Any suggestions you would like to give me while taking delivery of Swift VXI
Do give a second thought to UVA. I have been hearing a lot about clutch problems with Petrol Swift lately and if its actually widespread, the news would spread like a jungle fire and ruin the reputation and probably the resale value. This is apart from the other problems like rattles and hard ride.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 14:24   #34
BHPian

Well congratulations, and my suggestions are slightly different to Zak's - here goes.

- the stock tyres are good enough for non-enthusiast use; just make sure you dont fling into the corners like Loeb or Gronholm. I've done 25k kms with them, and they're good enough for the commute. They also provide adequate stoppage.
- Floor mats - supplied with Vxi - but change them if you dont like'em. Personal choice. YMMV.
- Extended warranty - definitely recommended. Your dealer would've already included it in the quote...
- Free stuff, bargains - definitely. Get most bang for your buck.
- Teflon coat - Dunno about this. mixed reactions in the forum on this. Underbody rust coating is recommended though.
- Market accessories - Again Zak's right. Dont buy MGA stuff, except for the security system/remote locking thingy.
- Reversing sensors - Dunno again. Swift really needs some visibility aids - and I've seen this recommended a lot. Atleast learn to rely on the side-view mirrors heavily. The centre rear-view mirror becomes completely useless on rainy/dusty days. And she's a wide car; almost as wide as a Scorpio or a Qualis. Dont try to follow that alto or santro into that narrow gali.

Last edited by ballkey : 13th September 2007 at 14:25. Reason: typo
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 21:48   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
IMHO, the only "complete" hatch in India is the Getz 1.3- sure it is overpriced, but there is a reason for that- drive it back to back with a swift and you will realise that the money paid is well spent (well....almost!)
Getz 1.3 is a real good car. But its heavily overpriced, and somehow i dont think its money well paid.

The pricing is comparable to, and above the prices of the Swift diesel (let alone petrol), which i feel is a much better car for the price.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 12:21   #36

Default Confused in buying a Palio Stile 1.1

Hey guys, little confused over Palio Stile1.1. My cousin brother is buying the vehicle.
Requirements:
Space: 5 adults
Mileage: 12-14 kmpl
Budget: 3.5L
Usage: twice or trice a week and a long trip in one or two months.
Life: would like to kepp this vehicle for at least 5-6 years.

Test drives:
Myself, my brother and my cousin went for the TD's. Myself and my cousin don't know how to drive, so my brother did all the test drives. We already own Fiat Padmini and Fiat Siena TD60.
After test driving Spark, Indica Xeta(Vista is out of our budget), Santro, Alto were been ruled out our choices. The left were Wagon R and Palio Stile 1.1.
We almost decided to go for the Palio, but in one of the threads someone has posted the negatives of palio stile from an ACI shootout. Now there's a lot of speculation going on that fiat may phase out palio after the launch of GP. So literally confused whether to go for a Palio or to choose another one. Anyone Palio stile owner can please shed some light on the vehicle whether it is worth spending the money on it.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th February 2009 at 01:44. Reason: Merged with existing. Please search before posting.
abhi4032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 14:07   #37
BHPian

The Fiat Palio would surely not be phased out soon as this competes in a different segment of the market as compared to the grande punto.

Considering your requirements, the palio and wagon r make for great choices. The key strengths of the palio the way i see it are

1. safety - built like a tank. its much more stable at speed than a wagon r
2. ride quality - probably the best in the small car segment
3. space - very comfortable for 5 people with luggage

when it comes to power - both the wagon r and the palio are quite evenly matched.

when it comes to fuel efficiency - the wagon r is surely better, this is attributed to its lighter weight as well.

in 5 years time, both cars would almost surely be out of production.

i have had my palio for about 7 years now, and have not faced any significant issues with the car. i stay in bangalore and am very satisfied with the quality of service at concorde (they are better than my ford service center even). i cannot comment the same about other cities.

but it will surely be a great decision if u buy the palio.
sharanramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 14:51   #38
BHPian

Thumbs up

As per your requirements you have put down, the Palio Stile 1.1 wins easily (space, mileage, price)

Plus as said it gives a safe feeling once you are inside. Assuming you have Test driven both Wagon R and Stile 1.1.

If you are comfortable with the TATA-FIAT A.S.S and the A.S.S around you are known for good FIAT service then you don't need to worry!

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:53   #39
BHPian

Its a good car, but before finalizing try to get as much extended warrenty as you can.

There are many other threads complaining Poor & often horrible *** of Fiat. So, you must go through it & only after than you decide.

The other option Wagon R, IMO is an average car (though highly successful), I'll prefer Santro any day for it.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:59   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Plus as said it gives a safe feeling once you are inside. Assuming you have Test driven both Wagon R and Stile 1.1.
Cheers~
Thanks rudrah and sharan ramesh.
Went for the Palio TD, but the vehicle is not available at Concorde. so planning to take a TD this weekend. Didn't liked the Malik cars attitude, only one person was standing for palio, Linea and 5oo.

Santro was decent in pickup, drive and A.S.S. but seating became a problem since four of us were adult and with two children. Moreover we felt very uncomfortable after driving it for one hour(my uncle owns a santro).

Last edited by abhi4032 : 24th February 2009 at 17:15.
Old 25th February 2009, 01:13   #41
BHPian

Why don't you TD the i10 also. Its a very nice city car and is somewhere close to your budget. Also one need not worry on the Hyundai Authorised service.

On the performance side, the 1.1 stile is a very lazy motor for a car which is so heavy.
aditya.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 08:23   #42

Yeah, we checked out the i10 also but didn't took the TD. Maybe this weekend we'll do it. The salesperson quoted era at 3.7L ex and ready to give us a 10K discount or a Sony explod music system. Whereas Fiat's salesperson told me whether if I'm ready to but 1.1 SLE, he would manage and give it to me at 3.75L on road. approximately 25K discount.

After merging the thread and looking at the comments here, do you thing palio would be the right one
Old 25th February 2009, 10:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi4032 View Post
Yeah, we checked out the i10 also but didn't took the TD. Maybe this weekend we'll do it. The salesperson quoted era at 3.7L ex and ready to give us a 10K discount or a Sony explod music system. Whereas Fiat's salesperson told me whether if I'm ready to but 1.1 SLE, he would manage and give it to me at 3.75L on road. approximately 25K discount.

After merging the thread and looking at the comments here, do you thing palio would be the right one
Abhi, you notice the previous thread merged was dated 2007. Things have changed better now. I've observed in PUG forum and here having good feedbacks for Palio Stile 1.1. I suggest you search the forum for the ownership reviews.

i10 is nice peppy city car however space would be a issue to fit all 5 adults in. It has a new refined engine but the FE is not that good.

Every car has its drawback. So you need to decide what you want from the car!

My choices for you in regards to space, FE and price would be :
Palio 1.1
Indica Vista Safire 1.2 ( still needs improvement over build quality)
Spark
i10

Cheers~
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 18:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi4032 View Post
Hey guys, little confused over Palio Stile1.1. My cousin brother is buying the vehicle.
Requirements:
Space: 5 adults
Mileage: 12-14 kmpl
Budget: 3.5L
Usage: twice or trice a week and a long trip in one or two months.
Life: would like to kepp this vehicle for at least 5-6 years.

Since you have mentioned nothing about performance and power, Palio 1.1 will qualify here.
But hey, please dont expect a meleage of 12-14 in City, with 5 adults on board. Its anyways a ton by itself. If driven alone, you MAY get that figures.
5-6 years is a long time. I checked the recent sales figure for Palio and it is sold a mere 71 across country. I dont think Fiat will place it in market for long.
Also, here in Pune, It is heaven for Palio owners as far as servicing and spares is concernewd. Check the status in Hyderabad for it.

Please dont think I am discouraging you. Just laying down the facts. I myself own a Palio, and I love it.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 19:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

If you are planning to drive with 5 adult and AC on - i wont recommend the Stile. 1.1 is underpowered. I have a 1.2 and find the performance wanting if i have 5 adults on board and the ac is on, i would think the 1.1 is significantly worse.

Otherwise its a nice car, i haven't had any problems with it - service & spares were not a problem for me at least in Bangalore, and i find the build quality brilliant to say the least.

I manage 10-11 kmpl on Bangalore roads in the 1.2 when driving alone. 1.1 should have a better mileage. 12 with a/c on and 5 adults in city may not be possible though.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote