Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 15th September 2007, 22:54   #31
BHPian

today i test drived both getz 1.1 and swift, this is what i found:

swift: excellent drivers car, good drivers comfort,adequate frront seats.however i also sat at the back with 2 others and i found it cramped,leg space was minimal and even though, other two like me were of slight build but then also were we were bumping into each other.

getz1.1: poor pick up, but comfortable at the back, good features like 60:40 seat foldin,tilt stearing.

i want to ask the experts about the long term effect of putting a small 1.1 engine meant for santro in a bigger car meant for 1.3 engine.because i dont car emuch about the pick up.
also a request to all 1.1 getz owners plz pour in your views about the car.
dr_aryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 23:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

If you can extend your budget a little then go for Getz 1.3.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 23:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Ok. Too many recommendations for Swift...
Another major sore point i had was that the glass house is really small. One "Feels" cramped even if it might not actually be cramped, thanks to the ever shrinking glass around you. The rear passenger windows taper so much and is so small that you feel almost like you are in a prison.
First time I see someone considering the feeling of the user. Great! While it might be a better back seat for a child to sleep peacefully (no light coming in, right?), and the tapering glass house gives it a not-so-modern but cockpit feel, one wonders why all these cars are headed the high shoulder way?

Quote:
The rear windshield though big by comparison has very very very small visible area that the inside rear view mirror is useless. Blind spots are huge! The C pillars are Oh Boy! fat and thats the reason the ORVMS are huge. and reversing is going to be a pain (dealers ensure u put in a reversing sensor).
This also takes a lot of getting used to. While surrounded by metal should give one a secure and safety feel, it also can feel like a prison or closed space. I felt this exact same feeling while driving the Octy the other day. [Disclaimer: it was in the night, so my day mileage may vary]

One might still end up buying a VDi and Pete it up, but overall, you raised some nice points to ponder, Venkatesh.

Last edited by determinus : 15th September 2007 at 23:25.
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 10:05   #34
BHPian

hey dr_aryan,
Your story and mine are very similar.I also started with a budget of 4.5L, shortlists get/swift/uv-a.
But then wisdom beconed...and i tht why not esteem(4.75L), then someone told me try Ikon...and i drove Ikon(5.3L), then someone told me why not Indigo(diesel 5.5L),
and so now there i am, from a budget of 4.5L scaled up to 5.5L, confused between, Ikon or Indigo-D :(

My suggestion is..
1. Define your needs.Since you are keeping the car for 5-6 yrs, resale value should not be the criteria. Criteria 1 should be 3 yrs doen the line how many ppl will be sitting in your car, and how much will you be running per month.

2. Budget...put a upper limit to it.and stick to it...whatever happens, even if u love the car....if its more than 5k over ur limit just drop it!

3. TD all the shortlists.Prefer to TD all hatchbacks in one day and all sedans on the other.
3a. Sit in the car and see allaround(outside..checking for the blind spots).
3b. See from the internal rear view mirror..how good is the visibility.
3c. Start the engine. Feel the vibrations.(lesser the better) Listen to the humming of the engine(lesser the better).
3d. See how the gear shift is.(smoother the better).
3e. Observe if the car starts to move without pressing the acclerator...shoud cruise at ~5kmph.(Will help in stop and go kind of traffic).
3f. Start the A/C on full. See how sluggish the car gets.
3g. See how much time does it take the A/C to make you and ur co-passenger(make the co-pass sit in the rear seat).
3h. Drive over the humps, over the pot holes, at 40-50 kmph on a curve, brake from 70-0.(to test the handling, and the response of stearing).
3i. Make a note of + and - points. Decide which +es you cannot live without, and which -es you can overlook.
3j. short list down to 2-3 cars. To a 2nd TD. Compare them on the points that you have listed.
3k. Finally make a decision(once you have done that, let me know how you did it...coz till now i've not been able to )

t-bhp experts please, i am a relatie navie in this automobile world, so please correct me on 3a to 3k.
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 10:14   #35
BHPian

getz 1.3 is very costly out here in lucknow(5.25 for the base 1.3 prime). i wont put that much money for getz 1.3 when swift 1.3 is coming for less than a lack!!!!
i love uva but what i heard in lucknow is that its service is not that good (just 1 service centre in lucknow). also it is going to be phsed out soon. so have ruled out uva.
getz is also good but both 1.3 and 1.1 seem overprised. while i have written price of 1.3 above, 1.1 is also 4.25 lacks(with no discounts to avail.
swift is excellent drive but again the same problem: SPACE
Old 17th September 2007, 10:32   #36
BHPian

Default Getz is too expensive?

@dr_aryan,
When you say Getz 1.3 costs a lakh more, you also keep in mind that it comes with quite a few features out of the box thats not there in swift.
You may also want to consider how much more EMI it all amounts to.

You may miss the 1.3 only in the highways, in the city all of the extra horses may not really matter much. Of course unless you are the boy racer types who races the engine to the redline in every gear from traffic light to the next. Then dont even blink swift is the car for you.

If you want space, practicality, comfort then Getz 1.1 is a good bet. If you are a practical driver and just wish for a good commute, you should go for the Getz and your family will also like it.
Getz is a car that grows on you (more like the santro. Remember how everyone said iits an ugly car when it was launched way back in 96-97? and Remember how everyone bought it anyway )

Bottom line: YOu cant go wrong with either car. BOth have their
strong points. THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT IS MAKING A DECISION IS VERY EASY.
COZ ITS NOT ABOUT WHICH IS A GOOD CAR> Both are good cars. IT IS ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT.
So, finally, i repeat what i wrote earlier. Ask youselves what you want.
You want to appease the boy racer in you : SWIFT
You want a family car : GETZ

As always this is only my Humble Op
Venkatesh.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 16:34   #37
BHPian

Default Thanks A Lot, After Months Of Dilemma Have Finally Decided On Palio1.1

hello to all fellow bhpians especially the mods and expers but also yhe newbies like me.

After a long delibration in which i ate everyones head i decided on a car:
FIAT PALIO STILE 1.1 SLE

Since I intend to keep the car for more tna 5-6 yrs resale was never a factor

Swift: was maruti and a good drive. This was the most difficult to leave out! Resons to leave it out: had a very bad shape, protruded from outside (which makes driving in narrow lanes difficult), and congested from inside, (which makes rear sitting difficult).

Aveo-Uva : I loved the car, was beautifully designed. However there was only 1 dealer in Lucknow and that too was not very well spoken of, so after sales will always be a problem. Alo according to me it was overprised for a chevy in India and 1148(not exactly 1.2 as they advertise) engine.

Getz 1.3 above my budget. Getz1.1:

Quite similar to the new palio. Similar shape, equitant power, similar average.

However it was about 40 k costlier than a palio with more features in palio!!!

Now coming to the reasons for choosing a palio:

I have test driven it atleast 3-4 times each time ~ 10kms. What I found.:

Confortable drive, good front seat and rear seat comfort, power although less than swift but equivalent to getz and uva. Excellent looks, gives the look of a big car. Useful features like double seat folding 3 step, door opening.

But the most important reason: VALUE FOR MONEY!:On road price of a Fiat palio 1.1SLE with front power windows, central locking, fog lamps, is around 4 lacks. After this there is a discount of 13 k and an excange bonus of 10 k. so it comes to only 377000. and also they will exchange my old maruti 800. so I will get that price also.

Also the A.s.s. of fiat is no longer a problem with tata coming up big time! So the servise provided will be better than GM however lesser than Hyundai and maruti if any!

In short in the price of a santro, I am getting a bigger, spacier, comfortable car.

So finally I decide on my car!

please put in your views

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2007 at 17:15.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:23   #38
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Doctor,

Enjoy the drive. What color are you thinking of buying ? And waiting for Diwali discounts or going for it now ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 17:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats @dr aryan.
Have you booked the car ? What colour are you going for ?

The Palio really seems VFM when compared to the other cars of it's size. Nice perspective here, since normally it tends to get compared with Santro, Zen, WagonR etc.

Did you consider the Xeta ?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 18:20   #40
BANNED

Congratulations and best of lucks on your decision.
Enjoy your car and drive safe.
Also, keep us updated.

Any specific reason you've kept out Indica from your shopping list?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 18:44   #41
BHPian

Hey doc, good one. Like everyone says, Palio is definitely a good car. Make sure you befriend your local friendly TATA service agent to keep your car well oiled
Happy motoring
Venkatesh.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 18:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_aryan View Post
After a long delibration in which i ate everyones head i decided on a car: FIAT PALIO STILE 1.1 SLE

But the most important reason: VALUE FOR MONEY!:On road price of a Fiat palio 1.1SLE with front power windows, central locking, fog lamps, is around 4 lacks. In short in the price of a santro, I am getting a bigger, spacier, comfortable car.
Many Congrats Dr Aryan on your choice of Palio Stile 1.1!

I too bought a Palio 1.2 some 3 years back on the same lines - when I am getting a bigger Car at a price of a Small Car, why not Palio with its unmatched features like - Superior Ride Comfort, Build Quality, Space, Looks and decent mileage of 12 - 13 kms (for 1.2 NV), more for 1.1 Stile!

Stile 1.1 though underpowered, is good enough for City driving & occasional long drives. Service is now taken care by Tata.

Enjoy driving the Italian beauty & have a great ownership experience!
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 19:20   #43
BHPian

hi all,
responses:
most colors look good in palio. but im inclined towards grey/red./blue, plz suggest. the deal on palio is 4.08 lacks - 13k discount- 10 k exchange bonus- cost of my old maruti 800. how much more i can bargain?
they are giving basic acessories like mud flaps, saet covers,car cover, casette stereo free.
indica i did not consider primarily because of its taxi image and also if indica and palio stand side by side palio will look more attractive, and give a sedan look!

i would ike to ask all those who have owned fiat . how reliable is tata servise. how is fiat car as a whole in terms of engine refinement, longevity, safety, maintenance cost!
Old 17th September 2007, 20:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dr_aryan,
When you say Getz 1.3 costs a lakh more, you also keep in mind that it comes with quite a few features out of the box thats not there in swift.
Like what?
Quote:
You may also want to consider how much more EMI it all amounts to.
Better would be to consider how much more EMI multiplied by no of
months.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 20:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Good choice Doc! Congrats.
You should be happy with your wheels - that's the bottomline. All else is 'academic'. And frankly, Palio is european build quality!
Many moons ago (year 2001) I travelled Del-Manali-Rohtang La-Gramphoo-Kunzum La-Kaza-Malling slide (was closed)-Sumdo, and then back the same route in a year 2000 model Fiat Uno Diesel. That car successfully did the entire trip, and my esteem for the Fiats went up a few notches.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote