Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 9th October 2007, 22:05   #1
BHPian

Default Should i go for this Palio?

Its Palio 1.2 - 2002 model - 27K kms done - 2.75 lac quoted and negotiated to 2.2 lac.

I am new to driving. So test driving was done by my friend.
He absorbed below issues.

1. Topends for the first 3 gears were tested. He says, the car is atleast 10 to 15 km/h speed lesser than what it is supposed to do..the limiter comes to pic soon. By just sitting in the car, i myself can feel the car gasping while reaching the max speed for that gear..looks strange.
I mean, whatever topend it attains, it should stay calm..not like gasping or jerking.

2. There is a wild jerk in the car while releasing clutch during every gear change.

we also took the car to Greentracks blr and got it tested. Their further feedback below:
1. Tappet noise is there.
2. Engine oil leak is there. May be the oil seal to be changed.
3. Battery is not getting charged properly..wiring to be tested.

My friend owns a palio and he says i can go ahead and buy this car.
But i would like to have expert views here before deciding.

Last but not least,...this car is of Gold colour..the last colour i would choose for a car..
We have checked few other Palios..but not satisfied..would like to check few more options..but doing test drive and reaching the garage for checkup in this blr traffic looks like himalayan task.

plz give your suggestion guys..whether i should go ahead and buy this or wait to check other options.
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 00:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.carwale.com/mycarwale/car...spx?id=1054378

Felt like the asking price was high! And carwale prices confirm that.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 00:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

2.2 looks more like a dealer price, not a private party sale price.

Also, are you sure of the Odo reading - 5 yrs, just 27k ? While so little running is not out of place, I would try re-check that part. Try to cross verify that with the service history & tyre wear. 27K should have at least 50% tread left, even for a rough drive.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 00:49   #4
BHPian

The car has just too many problems with just 27k on the odo. I am no expert, but I can definitely tell you that a car which has run only 27k kms should not have any oil leaks atleast. Fiat engines are built to last, you would really have to torture the car to get it to the condition it is in at the moment. My Palio has run 20k in a year now & it's in pristine condition. All I do to keep her healthy is to keep her as clean as possible & get her in the shop for scheduled servicings.
Just be careful, 2.2lacs is not a small amount at all, that's all am saying. Don't rush it, take your time & look harder, am sure it will be worth the wait. Happy shopping !!!

Last edited by mb_jg : 10th October 2007 at 00:53.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 01:02   #5
BHPian

The asking price is high,it shouldnt be more than 1.5 for the good condition palio2002,and there are some serious problem it has got there man.
payam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 04:09   #6
BANNED

NO!!

I've answered the title question. Ain't it?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 04:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Make an offer for 50,000. that way you can agree for half way mark of 1.10 which is the max you should pay for such a car.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 10:25   #8
BHPian

NO is my answer

1)Negotiate, the price quoted is high .
2)dont forget to check the suspension setup thoroughly (its 5 yrs old now) .
3) since u say it has done 27k (something fishy) as u buy it you will end up paying for some major servicing stuff (palio owners will be more helpful in explaining this in detail)

If you still decide to buy it, no matter when the car has been serviced ask the owner to get it serviced under your supervision .let him pay the bill for whatever comes up (if everything is genuine what the owner says ,he will agree for this) .
OR

ask the owner where he used to take the car for service , go to that service centre* (Give the car no) you will get the service history of that car if any major works done you will come to know about it .

Note: If he is servicing the car in any local garages then its off no use.

Happy Buying dude .
praveencr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:31   #9
BHPian

I think 1.10 would be a good offer. Recently i came across a 1.6 which went for 1.40.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 11:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would advise u to skip this car! it has too many problems and the price is too high.Palios are easy to find in the used car market and resale is quite low, so hunt around a little bit more, dont rush into things! The last thing u'd want is a lemon for a first car!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 12:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey Daddy,
2.2 L is too much.We get 1.6 Litre Palios under 2Lcas these days in Hyd.Im sure Bangalore there are more Palios.
U must do a better nego
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 12:03   #12
BHPian

Give the car a skip. I was looking for a second hand car earlier and this seems to be having too many real problems that you might end up spending a lot more to fix and maintain over and above the already highly quoted price.
simonkayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 12:30   #13
BHPian

thanks for all your reply guys.

abt car's service history, i am yet to ask the owner..i kept it in hold bcz there is a fun over there as well..noramally all the cars will have those stickers in the wind shield like where it is being serviced..some cars will have multiple stickers as well. But this car, the owner has carefully removed the stickers..

@praveencr85,
i was thinking the same..if at all i go for this car, i will ask them to service it under my supervision and get all the issues cleared at the sellers cost.

@condor,
yes its a dealer price..actually we checked 2 showrooms on the same day..and this palio was standing in both the showrooms within one hour gap.

though my friend's impression is that the issues are minor and the car looks like well maintained. It has got stock tyres with 40% life left.
I am keeping this option in hold and planning to check few more.
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 12:34   #14
BHPian

Straight answere, NO. For the km's run in odo, the car is having some serious problems. looks like some issues with the clutch, if you are lucky, just adjusting it may resolve the issue, but again if you have to do this, this car was not looked after well enough.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 14:42   #15
BHPian

hey daddy , check this link out (in case if you have not come across this ).This might help you to deal with used cars & there dealers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-mistakes.html (Buying a Second Hand Car - Learn from my mistakes!!!)
praveencr85 is offline   Reply With Quote