Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 13th October 2007, 18:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Good thing BUSA turned up!

Was going to ask- If you are intend on buying a hatch. Why not Swift VDi ABS+ Pete's tuning box?

90bhp, 210Nm.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...uning-box.html
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 19:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
The new elantra is unlikely to be cheaper than the magnum. I think it's meant t compete with corolla and civic. Maybe it will end up being a bit cheaper than the civic. But surely it will cost more than the magnum.
Oh yes, my mistake just reconfirmed the price for Magnum. New Elantra VGT will be more price tags under its belt. Expected 11 lakh Rs. slightly above magnum.
But yes, its petrol version will be below 9 lakh Rs. for sure.

But Magnum is SOHC but Elantra will be DOHC. and ofcourse we can enjoy VGT Thrust with a bigger engine in Elantra. Let us see what will happen. i'm waiting for Elantra and if the reports will be good then i'm gonna own Elantra VGT for sure.
Hyundai.Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 13:16   #18
BHPian

Thanks everyone. Sounds like Magnum will be a good buy irrespective of what others might laungh in the near future. I wanted to wait till new Elantra is launched. But Sundaram Motors in Kasturaba Road, Bangalore told me yesterday that a price hike for Magnum is on the cards soon after diwali. Has anyone heard of the price hike?

Thanks CrAzy dRiVeR for suggesting me the Swift. Peted Swift diesel defintely sounds good. But, I'm just not looking for 0-100 pick up. I'm looking good pickup from 0-140Kmph. The link does mention that at 140, it feels like in third gear. If it is a real good figure there too, I can seriously consider it. Could you please give an approximate time on 0-140? If it is within 25 seconds, I must say it will be too good. Thanks.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 15:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

opendro - The Peted Swift reaches 0 - 140 much before 25 secs, it feels really really insanely fast and now with green filter its even much more better, there is better top end power. If you are looking at 0 - 140kmph timings then the Peted Swift will suffice at almost half the price of the Magnum!!
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 15:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
opendro - The Peted Swift reaches 0 - 140 much before 25 secs, it feels really really insanely fast and now with green filter its even much more better, there is better top end power. If you are looking at 0 - 140kmph timings then the Peted Swift will suffice at almost half the price of the Magnum!!
Magnum and Verna are very closely matched on performance,check out the 0-160 timings and you'll know so,i expect Getz with a tuning box to be lot more faster than Swift with a tuning box.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 16:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Magnum and Verna are very closely matched on performance,check out the 0-160 timings and you'll know so,i expect Getz with a tuning box to be lot more faster than Swift with a tuning box.
Magnum and Verna are not that closely matched in terms of performance, the Magnum is just a rocket, the Verna aint close to it in anyway, nor is anyother car in the country in its segment, yes the Hyundai Elantra will give it a run for its money. The Magnum produces a whopping torque of 314NM compared to 240NM of the Verna. The Magnum is more then a second faster to 100 then the Verna.

Definately a Getz/Verna/Magnum with a Petes box is going to be faster then the Swift Diesel, but where the Swift takes the cake is very low NVH and even after hard driving the Swift will return you quite amazing FE.

If i had to opt for any of the given cars above, i would opt for the Magnum wit my eyes closed. 2nd choice would be the Getz and third the Swift. I left out the Verna since it doesnot make sense to me buying the Verna when you can stretch a bit and get the Magnum.

If i had an option of choosing other diesel cars as well then it would definately be the Sonata Embera CRDi before the Magnum. It has 140bhp, more torque then the Magnum and most importantly it has a 6 speed gearbox, fantastic car the Embera, sadly we dont see many of those. Imagina a Peted Embera 170bhp, 370NM, thats quite close to a Alpina D3.
Old 14th October 2007, 20:07   #22
BHPian

Hyundai should start offering some big discounts on the Embera soon, going by the sales figures.

Magnum it is, however i hope you were looking at 0-140 straight line acceleration figures. I donot think the getz will have the handling to manage it over a non-linear route. neither does the magnum unfortunately, but what the heck it's still good to drive!
apply the breaks a little and put your foot down back on the A pedal to be hit with the turbo acceleration. addictive but supremely enjoyable.Doesn't help the mileage figures, though.

Last edited by babhishek : 14th October 2007 at 20:11.
babhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 10:19   #23
BHPian

Not trying to drag this thread with wider views and questions, but I'm still keeping my hopes on Fiat Linea, specially after reading :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE :: My mind is shuttling between closing the deal on Magnum and waiting for Linea.

Does anyone know from grapevines about the engine of the Fiat Linea to be launched in India? If it gives the power comparable to Verna, if not upto Magnum, I wouldn't mind losing the mileage as Fiat cars are generally priced lower (IMHO) for the kind of build. Well, I will go and pick the AutoCar India megazine.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 19:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well well well, word has it that Fiat might just give the 1.3L with a 90bhp set of tune on the Linea, so if you looking for Magnum kind of power, dont wait for the Linea.
Old 15th October 2007, 20:27   #25
BHPian

If you can afford Magnum go for it. IMHO. no hatch can give you the ride quality of a sedan.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 16:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no hatch can give you the ride quality of a sedan
One hatch comes close - thats the Palio, fantastic ride that car has.