Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 14:53   #151
BHPian
 
Porschefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 369
Thanked: 824 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Hello All. I need some advice on what car to buy.

I currently drive a Hyundai Getz which is 5 yrs, 55000kms old and it serves as the sole family car.
The new car will replace the Getz and the requirements are as below in the following order -

1) Must be top of the line trim with ABS and 2 Airbags as the minimum safety requirements. Build quality (inside-out) must be good.
2) Must be a driver's car. Though i'm a sedate driver, i want the ride and handling to be sporty and the engine must have decent poke.
3) Decent A*S*S.
4) Must have the basic features that are offered in the top end trim these days. Anything over it, will be happily taken.
5) Must seat 4 in comfort while accommodating the occasional 5th passenger. Head space shouldn't be at a premium as dad and me are almost 6 ft tall.
6) Decent boot space (The Getz has spoilt us with points 4 & 5).
7) Prefer clean lines to the fluidic, kinetic and curvy designs. Not a deal breaker though.
8) Budget - 8L if its a Diesel hatchback and 10L if its a Petrol sedan (Dad wants a sedan and i want a hatchback ). Compact sedans not preferred but if something meets all the other 8 requirements, will consider.
9) Want the car within the next 4-5 months.

I do have a few cars in mind but with the help of you all, i want to arrive at the car that register the maximum number of 'ticks' in my requirement list.
Kindly let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks,

- Vicky.

Last edited by Porschefire : 20th June 2014 at 14:55.
Porschefire is offline  
Old 20th June 2014, 16:08   #152
BHPian
 
KING DYSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KA 17/Mysore
Posts: 118
Thanked: 201 Times
Arrow Re: Which car to buy???

Hello Porschefire,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
The new car will replace the Getz and the requirements are as below in the following order -

1) Must be top of the line trim with ABS and 2 Airbags as the minimum safety requirements. Build quality (inside-out) must be good.
2) Must be a driver's car. Though i'm a sedate driver, i want the ride and handling to be sporty and the engine must have decent poke.
3) Decent A*S*S.
4) Must have the basic features that are offered in the top end trim these days. Anything over it, will be happily taken.
5) Must seat 4 in comfort while accommodating the occasional 5th passenger. Head space shouldn't be at a premium as dad and me are almost 6 ft tall.
6) Decent boot space (The Getz has spoilt us with points 4 & 5).
7) Prefer clean lines to the fluidic, kinetic and curvy designs. Not a deal breaker though.
8) Budget - 8L if its a Diesel hatchback and 10L if its a Petrol sedan (Dad wants a sedan and i want a hatchback ). Compact sedans not preferred but if something meets all the other 8 requirements, will consider.
9) Want the car within the next 4-5 months.
Have a look at the following cars-
Sedans
  • New Honda City Petrol
  • Fiat Linea T-Jet
  • 2014 Ford Fiesta (only available in Diesel)
  • Maruti Suzuki Ciaz (will be launching shortly)

Hatchbacks
  • Maruti Suzuki Swift DDIS (Boot space is not that great)
  • Hyundai i 20 CRDI (not a great handler actually)

Test drive thoroughly and make your choice buddy.

Last edited by KING DYSP : 20th June 2014 at 16:30.
KING DYSP is offline  
Old 20th June 2014, 16:20   #153
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,319 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Hello All. I need some advice on what car to buy.

I currently drive a Hyundai Getz which is 5 yrs, 55000kms old and it serves as the sole family car.
I guess you didn't mention the fuel priority,

Hatchback:

1) Maruti Swift ZDi or a Ritz ZDi

Sedans:

1) Hyundai Verna - Doesn;'t drive as sharp as contenders but worthy considering

2) Maruti Ciaz - Could shake up the segment

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now  
Old 20th June 2014, 16:37   #154
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 312
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Hello All. I need some advice on what car to buy.

I do have a few cars in mind but with the help of you all, i want to arrive at the car that register the maximum number of 'ticks' in my requirement list.
Kindly let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks,

- Vicky.
You can take a look at the below.

Hatchbacks:

1. Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi (Good car, Maruti Trust, But not enough leg room and a cramped boot)

2. Volkswagen Polo GT TSI (Solid build, Fun to drive but the recent VW A.S.S stories are not great)

3. Hyundai i20 (Lots of bells and whilstles, Good leg room in the back and a decent boot, but handling is an issue)

Sedans:

1. Honda City 2014 iVtech (Trusted Honda badge, 4th generation car with plenty of success stories, Best in class rear legroom and huge boot)

2. Fiat Linea T-Jet (Extremely fun to drive car, solid build, Good safety features and the 16" alloys are to die for. On the negatives, average rear bench and still developing Fiat A.S.S)

3. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz (Huge expectations for this car but not sure your waiting periods will be enough)

4. Hyundai Verna ( Again, got the bells and whistles and the 2014 model has improved suspension setup but the handling is not as great as its competitors.)
satan's_valet is online now  
Old 20th June 2014, 17:13   #155
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,691
Thanked: 3,864 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Hello All. I need some advice on what car to buy.
...
...
Since you prefer clean lines, I would recommend Polo GT TSI / Vento TSI in petrol and the GT TDI / Vento TDI highline in diesel (hatchback/sedan based who wins - you or your dad)

Other options which could suit your requirement:
1) Fiesta Titanium
2) Linea T-Jet

Happy shopping!
vb-san is offline  
Old 20th June 2014, 17:46   #156
BHPian
 
Porschefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 369
Thanked: 824 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Thanks for the replies!

My views of the listed cars are as follows (Please note that i haven't test driven any of the cars and the views are solely based on the official and ownership reviews read on TBhp) -

Sedans -

New Honda City Petrol -
+ves-->Great overall package.
-ves-->Not so involving to drive, flimsy build quality.Top end petrol might be out of my budget.
Fiat Linea T-Jet -
+ves-->Drivers car, period. Features, build quality.
-ves-->A*S*S a concern. But shouldn't be as bad as VW or Skoda right?
Shortlisted.
Ford Fiesta -
+ves-->Again, drivers car. Like the package despite some niggles.
-ves-->Top end Titanium out of budget.
Maruti Suzuki Ciaz -
+ves-->Maruti, so service ain't a problem. Going by the available info and pictures,will be a worthy rival to the City.
-ves--> Looooong waiting periods for sure, top end petrol might be out of budget, Ride? Handling? Engines?
Hyundai Verna -
+ves--> Features, features and features, good choice of engines.
-ves--> Ride and handling despite the suspension upgrades, fluidic design a little too much to digest.
VW Vento TSI/TDI -
+ves--> Fast!, premium build quality, prefer this styling the most.
-ves--> Seriously cramped for dad and me, price, A*S*S a real concern.

Hatchbacks -

Maruti Suzuki Swift DDIS -
+ves--> Maruti, black interiors, fun to drive, frugal.
-ves--> Lack of space, boot, build quality.
Shortlisted.
Hyundai i20 -
+ves--> Features, space, build.
-ves--> ride and handling, diesel is +9L OTR B'lore (i think), petrol-boring to drive, due for an upgrade.
VW Polo GT TSI/TDI -
+ves--> Fast!, premium build quality, prefer this styling the most.
-ves--> Seriously cramped for dad and me, price, A*S*S a real concern.
Maruti Suzuki Ritz -
Prefer the Swift.
Fiat Punto -
+ves--> Ride and handling, upgraded dash, safe.
-ves--> A*S*S, interior space is ok, when's the facelift coming?
Shortlisted.

So i've only 3 cars which i've shortlisted in my mind as of now - Swift, Punto and Linea.
I'm still not convinced on these due to the prime '-ves', space and A*S*S - both of which are hard to ignore, which is why i've come to you guys for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I guess you didn't mention the fuel priority
Fun-to-drive quotient and budget are the prime concern for me. Fuel type doesn't matter because the daily running is not as low to buy a petrol only or high enough to justify a diesel only. As long as the former two requirements are satisfied, the fuel type doesn't matter really.
So, if its a hatchback, the its 8L (Petrol or Diesel) and if its a sedan the 10L (Petrol mainly because most of the top end Diesel will be out of budget).

Last edited by Porschefire : 20th June 2014 at 18:13.
Porschefire is offline  
Old 20th June 2014, 20:16   #157
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,432
Thanked: 3,131 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Sedans -

New Honda City Petrol -
+ves-->Great overall package.
-ves-->Not so involving to drive, flimsy build quality.Top end petrol might be out of my budget.
Fiat Linea T-Jet -
+ves-->Drivers car, period. Features, build quality.
-ves-->A*S*S a concern. But shouldn't be as bad as VW or Skoda right?
Shortlisted.
Ford Fiesta -
+ves-->Again, drivers car. Like the package despite some niggles.
-ves-->Top end Titanium out of budget.
Maruti Suzuki Ciaz -
+ves-->Maruti, so service ain't a problem. Going by the available info and pictures,will be a worthy rival to the City.
-ves--> Looooong waiting periods for sure, top end petrol might be out of budget, Ride? Handling? Engines?
Hyundai Verna -
+ves--> Features, features and features, good choice of engines.
-ves--> Ride and handling despite the suspension upgrades, fluidic design a little too much to digest.
VW Vento TSI/TDI -
+ves--> Fast!, premium build quality, prefer this styling the most.
-ves--> Seriously cramped for dad and me, price, A*S*S a real concern.
The T-Jet and Fiesta are undisputed kings of the FTD quotient in this segment. However, they both have their practical niggles; the Ford's motor isnt as punchy as one might hope and more importantly, the rear bench is a joke. The Fiat on the other hand has a slightly awkward driving position and while the rear bench is extremely comfy, space is again at a premium.
The Ciaz ought to be the best all rounder. It is significantly large than the rest in its segment, finally a Maruti that does not skimp out on features, looks fresh inside and out and if its predecessor, the SX4, is anything to go by, it ought to be a pretty sweet package in terms of dynamics as well
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 11:46   #158
BHPian
 
giri1.8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 402
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Guys please help me out, after lot of research I have decided to book suzuki swift ZDi. My budget is around 8L on road, wanted a no non-sense diesel hatch or sedan(if any sedan is within my budget) with good A.S.S,handling,ride quality and reliability. I have few question regarding my decision:
*From Khivraj motor's website I found that swift has 20K cash discount and 20K exchange bonus. Can I get a better deal? if so what should I push for.
*Is there any other car that fits my requirements.

Thanks in advance
giri1.8 is online now  
Old 21st June 2014, 13:03   #159
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,432
Thanked: 3,131 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Guys please help me out, after lot of research I have decided to book suzuki swift ZDi. My budget is around 8L on road, wanted a no non-sense diesel hatch or sedan(if any sedan is within my budget) with good A.S.S,handling,ride quality and reliability. I have few question regarding my decision:
*From Khivraj motor's website I found that swift has 20K cash discount and 20K exchange bonus. Can I get a better deal? if so what should I push for.
*Is there any other car that fits my requirements.

Thanks in advance
If the budget is slightly flexible, do check out the new Ford Fiesta. They have priced it really well this time and made anti-lock brakes, brake force distribution and a driver airbag, a standard affair across all variants with the higher trim levels getting a passenger airbag as well. Very well insulated, extremely good steering and suspension setup, a remap ought to be enough to get that 1.5 duratorq to satisfy your every need.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 13:10   #160
BHPian
 
giri1.8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 402
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If the budget is slightly flexible, do check out the new Ford Fiesta. They have priced it really well this time and made anti-lock brakes, brake force distribution and a driver airbag, a standard affair across all variants with the higher trim levels getting a passenger airbag as well. Very well insulated, extremely good steering and suspension setup, a remap ought to be enough to get that 1.5 duratorq to satisfy your every need.
Even I was looking at that option, but sadly cant spend more than 8L, my initial budget was just 6L
giri1.8 is online now  
Old 21st June 2014, 13:41   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Thanks for the replies!

My views of the listed cars are as follows (Please note that i haven't test driven any of the cars and the views are solely based on the official and ownership reviews read on TBhp) -

Sedans -

...
Maruti Suzuki Ritz -
Prefer the Swift.
Fiat Punto -
+ves--> Ride and handling, upgraded dash, safe.
-ves--> A*S*S, interior space is ok, when's the facelift coming?
Shortlisted.
A litte contradicting when you talk about Vento being cramped but list Feista/Linea as your choices. Linea/Fiesta are more cramped then Fiesta.

I suggest the following, wait a little bit more for Ciaz or increase budget to around 22-25 lakhs to get a car that ticks all boxes.

Last edited by aseem : 21st June 2014 at 13:43.
aseem is offline  
Old 21st June 2014, 14:35   #162
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,319 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
So i've only 3 cars which i've shortlisted in my mind as of now - Swift, Punto and Linea.
If fun to drive quotient, space and A.S.S has made you shortlist the above 3, then I still suggest Maruti Swift ZDi as it weighs better in terms of FTD quotient and ASS quality.

But since since is a requirement then it has to be Linea though not sure of the ASS standards currently.

My vote is for Swift ZDi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I have few question regarding my decision:

*From Khivraj motor's website I found that swift has 20K cash discount and 20K exchange bonus. Can I get a better deal? if so what should I push for.

*Is there any other car that fits my requirements.
Giri,

1) Go meet the sales manager at Khivraj Motors and ask for discount that is mentioned in their website and later push for more.

2) Regarding any extra fitments, it depends on what you are looking at other than standard ones. I am very very happy with the ZDi and haven't felt the need to add anything to the car. It is a complete proposition for features and ownership. Yes may be you can ask for parking sensor/camera. You can refer to my ownership review, if in doubt of anything.

So I feel you can go ahead with the booking.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 19:07   #163
BHPian
 
Porschefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 369
Thanked: 824 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
A litte contradicting when you talk about Vento being cramped but list Feista/Linea as your choices. Linea/Fiesta are more cramped then Fiesta.
I suggest the following, wait a little bit more for Ciaz or increase budget to around 22-25 lakhs to get a car that ticks all boxes.
You are absolutely right. The rear space in both the Linea and the Fiesta is not great. When i said the Polo/Vento were cramped, i meant the front seat space. I've driven my bro-in-law's Polo TSI and my left knee kept fouling with the dash, which was an irritant. Also, the roof line was low so the head space wasn't that generous which gave a feeling of being cramped. My dad also had similar views. I'm assuming its the same in the Vento as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If fun to drive quotient, space and A.S.S has made you shortlist the above 3, then I still suggest Maruti Swift ZDi as it weighs better in terms of FTD quotient and ASS quality.
But since since is a requirement then it has to be Linea though not sure of the ASS standards currently.
My vote is for Swift ZDi.
Thanks Anurag.
Note that these 3 are shortlisted in my 'mind'. I still have to test drive all of them, which i will once i'm back in India next month.
I love the Swift and would've bought it without even thinking twice, the only deterrent being the lack of space! This is one the important requirements since this is gonna be a family car. Lets see, its still at the top of my list.
One question though. Fiat A*S*S will be better than VW or Skoda IMO. How right or wrong am i?
Porschefire is offline  
Old 21st June 2014, 19:31   #164
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,319 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Thanks Anurag.

I love the Swift and would've bought it without even thinking twice, the only deterrent being the lack of space! This is one the important requirements since this is gonna be a family car. Lets see, its still at the top of my list.

One question though. Fiat A*S*S will be better than VW or Skoda IMO. How right or wrong am i?
Yeah! Swift rocks in all points except for overall space. To confuse you further, If space is a concern why not look at Nissan Sunny?

You are right, Fiat ASC is much better and they are improving. They listen to customers and not like VW/Skoda ASC.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now  
Old 21st June 2014, 19:54   #165
BHPian
 
shashi63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: THANE
Posts: 199
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Which car to buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post

Fun-to-drive quotient and budget are the prime concern for me. Fuel type doesn't matter because the daily running is not as low to buy a petrol only or high enough to justify a diesel only. As long as the former two requirements are satisfied, the fuel type doesn't matter really.
So, if its a hatchback, the its 8L (Petrol or Diesel) and if its a sedan the 10L (Petrol mainly because most of the top end Diesel will be out of budget).
Go for the New Club Class Manza Qjet EX or Vx. The car will surrprise you. I brought it a year back. 24Kms now..no problems , great drive and an absolute delight in every way!
shashi63 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Bullet to buy?.. or should actually I buy one? EDIT its TBTS schitre05 Motorbikes 149 13th August 2015 15:54
Which second hand car to buy which would be most suited to put in CNG? sahakar Hatchbacks 1 4th May 2008 02:16
Which is the ONE car that you wud buy?? v12 The International Automotive Scene 36 30th May 2004 13:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks