Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 6th July 2013, 00:59   #76
BHPian

Thank you all for the advice. I have taken delivery of the Audi Q7 Luxury . It's the 3.0 Lts 333 HP TFSI Engine. It's simply awesome. Will post the pics soon.
Old 6th July 2013, 21:34   #77
BHPian

I am putting up a few pics of my new car. Thanks
Attached Images

drrajanvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 22:21   #78
BHPian

Default Re: Which car to buy???

After the recent fuel hike, things have gotten a bit worrisome. I've got a 2009 Punto 1.4 petrol and my daily running of 80-90 kms means that the 11 kmpl mileage is a huge drag on financials. My car has just run 34k kms till date. I love the Punto and I don't want to change my car, so I'm looking to sell it and buy a second hand diesel punto instead. All the diesel punto options that im getting have run 40k kms minimum. Is this a sensible decision? is a 40-50k run diesel worth buying? In a dilemma here. Trying to find a solution to please both head and heart
Old 17th July 2013, 22:29   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
After the recent fuel hike, things have gotten a bit worrisome. I've got a 2009 Punto 1.4 petrol and my daily running of 80-90 kms means that the 11 kmpl mileage is a huge drag on financials. My car has just run 34k kms till date. I love the Punto and I don't want to change my car, so I'm looking to sell it and buy a second hand diesel punto instead. All the diesel punto options that im getting have run 40k kms minimum. Is this a sensible decision? is a 40-50k run diesel worth buying? In a dilemma here. Trying to find a solution to please both head and heart
You are in Delhi. CNG-ify it. The depreciation hit on a Fiat and then the head ache of scouting for a pre-worshipped Fiat Punto Diesel! You Punto has loads of life left in it. At 2 rupees a km on CNG, you need not worry about the distance. And on weekends when out for fun, run it on Petrol and have a blast! And with your kind of running the kit pays for itself in a year I guess.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 07:32   #80
BHPian

@akshaymahajan

I had given it a thought but I can't afford to lose the bootspace, my work involves me taking a lot of equipment along. Plus I've always been skeptical of having a cylinder at the back. Hence thinking of swapping for a diesel. Any idea what price a well maintained 4 year old 1.4 Petrol emotion pack punto , which has rUN around 34k kms, would command in the market?
If I still want to go in for a pre worshipped diesel hatch, what could be my options? I don't want to spend beyond 4lakhs. ( including what I get for my existing Punto)
Old 18th July 2013, 10:00   #81
BHPian

Quote:
@akshaymahajan

I had given it a thought but I can't afford to lose the bootspace, my work involves me taking a lot of equipment along. Plus I've always been skeptical of having a cylinder at the back. Hence thinking of swapping for a diesel. Any idea what price a well maintained 4 year old 1.4 Petrol emotion pack punto , which has rUN around 34k kms, would command in the market?
If I still want to go in for a pre worshipped diesel hatch, what could be my options? I don't want to spend beyond 4lakhs. ( including what I get for my existing Punto)
diesel hatches dont really come up for sale at low odo readings.youll have to put out feelers and not worry about the brand.All diesel hatches in the market are competent from commuting POV.
Old 21st July 2013, 13:58   #82

Hi Guys, my friend is planning to buy a sedan in the price range of 6-7 lacs at the earliest. He is not interested in hatchbacks. The car will be driven mostly in the city. We are looking at petrol options as monthly running will not exceed 1K km/month. The car should be reliable with low maintenance costs. The car must have ABS. We have shortlisted the following options(I think these are the only options available in the price bracket).
1.Maruthi Dzire
2. Toyota Etios
3. Honda Amaze
We are having a hard time making the final decision as all the three cars good. Please advice. Also i would really appreciate it if anybody can provide any information about any discounts currently being offered on the three options. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st July 2013, 14:34   #83
BHPian

Hi NirmalK, I doubt you will get any offers with Amaze currently, but I feel it is the better of the plane jane etios & trusted, but common Dzire. Optimum space, refined petrol engine and simply proper looking sedan.

Myself facing with a dilemma. Looking for a second car for wifey.

I have been doing 60 kms daily on a petrol i20 (2009). No complaints with the car, and I get 15 kmpl consistently in Bangalore traffic.

Should I go for a Nano LX or an entry level diesel (beat/figo)?

I could consider driving the new car to office and that's where I am unsure whether nano can handle 1500 kms/monthly. Its price and expected 20 kmpl mileage is tempting, could translate to about 2k savings in fuel bills.

TD'd the Beat LS and apart from the clatter at idle, liked every bit of it. Guess Figo is the only other car this side of 6 lacs.

I also have to pay for the additional parking, so not in a position to stretch. Considering the diesels itself is an overkill. Please advise.
openroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 10:45   #84
BHPian

Quote:
@akshaymahajan

Have you considered a new Figo? If you can stretch the budget, a new one may be a better purchase than used. I'd suggest isolating two or three diesel hatches that you like, such as Punto, Figo and something else and then getting the best maintained used example you can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirmalK View Post

1.Maruthi Dzire
2. Toyota Etios
3. Honda Amaze
1) Has some quirks and niggles, but with Maruti service and resale price, would be a good buy.

2) I'd stay away. There is glaring cost cutting evident, car does not feel special and build quality too is suspect.

3) Nicest looking of the lot, also will feel more special from the cabin. Higher running costs but worth considering.

My pick would be 3 and then 1. I wouldn't consider Etios at all. Unless ownership is long term, I would see if I could stretch for a diesel to get the benefit of lower monthly fuel bills and better resale value. Do take a look at the Amaze diesel, its a nice car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroad View Post
Hi NirmalK, I doubt you will get any offers with Amaze currently, but I feel it is the better of the plane jane etios & trusted, but common Dzire. Optimum space, refined petrol engine and simply proper looking sedan.

Myself facing with a dilemma. Looking for a second car for wifey.

I have been doing 60 kms daily on a petrol i20 (2009).

Should I go for a Nano LX or an entry level diesel (beat/figo)?

I could consider driving the new car to office and that's where I am unsure whether nano can handle 1500 kms/monthly. Its price and expected 20 kmpl mileage is tempting, could translate to about 2k savings in fuel bills.

TD'd the Beat LS and apart from the clatter at idle, liked every bit of it. Guess Figo is the only other car this side of 6 lacs.

I also have to pay for the additional parking, so not in a position to stretch. Considering the diesels itself is an overkill. Please advise.
Phew! That is a lot on your plate !! The nano will handle 1500 kms per month, however do keep in mind that Tata A$$ although improved greatly is a PITA to deal with.
About the petrol vs diesel and your borderline running distances, everything needs to be calculated depending on which car you decide you prefer and the difference in costs between them. My uncle has a Figo and despite the car being almost totaled (but it was borderline so insurance fixed it, we had to pay a hefty sum out of pocket though), it still performs admirably in his 50-70 kms per day running. Maintenance costs too have been low for the most part.
Since you own one hatch already, have you considered a Pre-Owned sedan? You could pick up a great example of an older Honda city for 3 lacs or so with about 50,000 on the ODO. The remaining money could then be used to offset higher running costs and the car would be better for longer trips.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 12:17   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@akshaymahajan

Search around for a old Corolla. You will find some 50 k kms run cars in Delhi for 3 lacs. Put a good CNG kit and run easy for 2 years.
Best option for NCR driving, within your 4lac budget.

Corollas don't break that easily.
Buying any used diesel car is a risky option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirmalK View Post
Hi Guys, my friend is planning to buy a sedan in the price range of 6-7 lacs at the earliest. He is not interested in hatchbacks. The car will be driven mostly in the city. We are looking at petrol options as monthly running will not exceed 1K km/month. The car should be reliable with low maintenance costs. The car must have ABS. We have shortlisted the following options(I think these are the only options available in the price bracket).
1.Maruthi Dzire
2. Toyota Etios
3. Honda Amaze
We are having a hard time making the final decision as all the three cars good. Please advice. Also i would really appreciate it if anybody can provide any information about any discounts currently being offered on the three options. Thanks in advance.
Petrol Dzire, just because its Maruti, they are unbeatable in terms of after sales support.

Last edited by kpzen : 14th August 2013 at 12:35.
Old 24th October 2013, 05:14   #86

Smile Re: Which car to buy???

Hello everybody, I am from Bangalore and looking to buy a used car with a fixed budget of 2.5 lacs. My initial options were the Santro Xing and WagonR. After a lot of confusion between the two, we have finally zeroed in on the WagonR. We are more inclined towards the WagonR purely because of Maruti's brand name and the more nominal costs of maintenance (considering that a used car is more liable for change of spares sooner compared to a brand new one). Buying a new car is not an option right now.

Since I am new to buying cars, I would like to know what is the exact model and features of WagonR I should be going for (with the consideration that I would be holding on to this car for the next 3 to 4 years). For example, I encountered a single owner 2008 WagonR VXI limited edition with ABS and Airbags, but the downside to it was that it had run 75k KM and had unkempt interiors. I encounter deals where the car looks good and is a 2007/2008 model (with the new front grill design), but would have run 65k KM or more and I encounter a 2005 model which has run 40k KM. It increases the confusion as to what to go for; a newer model or lesser KM run as sometimes both the types of cars would have been maintained well.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Old 15th November 2013, 13:08   #87
BHPian

Question Re: Which car to buy???

There comes a time where saying goodbye to your trusty steed is inevitable. It could be for a number of reasons. For me its been a long time in the coming and i'v been delaying for as long as i could and only my most recent trip on the highway made me realise that it is time to let go.

Let's start with the history. I have as my steed a white Honda Civic 2007 manual . The first two years of its life were spent in my garage and only when i completed my studies were the keys handed over to me as a gift by my father. In two years the odometer read 12k kilometers only . Thus began the love affair. Finally i had the civic in my hand.

Luckily during my studies I did have a variety of cars to use due to my family's passion for cars. My first vehicle was a discarded by family Santro which was then changed to a new Getz and I was later upgraded to a 1.8 Optra LT another family hand me down. So all in all i never have had any reason to ever complain but a Civic was one d fallen in love with the moment i'd seen it and to be finally have one to call my own made me fulfill all targets set by my father to get one (much like how a carrot is dangled in front of a donkey to make it move)

Now iv had the civic as my personal vehicle since 2009 and its completed a healthy 90k kms and running nearly as good as earlier. I say nearly is because it now has a lot of squeaks and rattles in the body and apart from that i do feel there is work on the suspension on the horizon too. There is a change in the way it tackles the potholes though it could be because of the low tread in the tires too. I have gone through only one set of tires during my car's lifetime which proves that regular balancing and alignment does help. The civic does wear Michelin Primacy LC's and iv been really happy with their performance.

The reason for change is actually only due to the squeaks and rattles and the general wear and tear of the interiors over time. Not really in-correctable but well I do think its a downhill journey from now especially with the civic being discontinued. (Atleast that's how i'm justifying this process of change even though iv not faced any spare part issue till date )

Now comes the crisis though. I have a budget of around 15-20 lacs and i'm at a loss as to what to pick up. I primarily self drive so this time my preference is for an automatic only and preferably a sturdy one since i do club a lot of highway driving to my city driving and the road conditions at my city are anything but tolerable. The running is going to be 70 percent in the city and 30 percent highway since I can always borrow my fathers Rexton for the highway.

Diesel or petrol is not a very important criterion for me and since i'm still single i am looking for something youthful. I do require good handling and a proper feel to the car which unfortunately most Hyundai's lack.

Guys it would be great if you could advice me. Should i stick around for the new Corolla or are there other options coming in. There is no rush as i am not really dissatisfied with my car and it still runs without fuss. Your advice nonetheless will be much appreciated.
Old 15th November 2013, 18:01   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Now comes the crisis though. I have a budget of around 15-20 lacs and i'm at a loss as to what to pick up. I primarily self drive so this time my preference is for an automatic only and preferably a sturdy one since i do club a lot of highway driving to my city driving and the road conditions at my city are anything but tolerable. The running is going to be 70 percent in the city and 30 percent highway since I can always borrow my fathers Rexton for the highway.

Diesel or petrol is not a very important criterion for me and since i'm still single i am looking for something youthful. I do require good handling and a proper feel to the car which unfortunately most Hyundai's lack.

Guys it would be great if you could advice me. Should i stick around for the new Corolla or are there other options coming in. There is no rush as i am not really dissatisfied with my car and it still runs without fuss. Your advice nonetheless will be much appreciated.
The new Skoda Octavia is worth considering. It comes with a nice engine, Loads of interior space. The top spec model is sub 20 lacs ex showroom and comes packed with a lot of E class level goodies like front parking sensors, Panoramic sunroof, lumbar support, Electronically adjustable seats. The DSG gearbox is wonderful and the interior of the car is simple yet beautiful.

The car looks and feels sturdy and solid, the suspension isn't as soft as the civic, but i reckon it should be comfortable on broken city roads.

The biggest problems with skoda Octavia - The harsh backseat, the maintenance and unreliability have been addressed to some extent as they've introduced an all inclusive service program similar to BMW's BSI. The backseat (as per auto car's review) is now a very comfortable place to be in.

I Have driven the jetta many times with the same engine. Its amazing ! And whatever was wrong/missing in the jetta, has been introduced in the Octavia.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 18:07   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post

I think there's only one car that would fit your requirements,Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI as you are looking for something which is fun to drive and don't care about the petrol bills.Also,it comes with the superior Multi-Link suspension
The new Corolla still won't be as youthful as the Octavia considering it has the same engine as the current one and the Jetta is still based on the old PQ35 platform

You could look at the Yeti or XUV500 which fall in the same price range but you have the Rexton to fulfill similar chores.
IMHO,go for the Skoda Octavia
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 18:32   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRider View Post
Hello everybody, I am from Bangalore and looking to buy a used car with a fixed budget of 2.5 lacs. My initial options were the Santro Xing and WagonR. After a lot of confusion between the two, we have finally zeroed in on the WagonR. We are more inclined towards the WagonR purely because of Maruti's brand name and the more nominal costs of maintenance (considering that a used car is more liable for change of spares sooner compared to a brand new one). Buying a new car is not an option right now.

Since I am new to buying cars, I would like to know what is the exact model and features of WagonR I should be going for (with the consideration that I would be holding on to this car for the next 3 to 4 years). For example, I encountered a single owner 2008 WagonR VXI limited edition with ABS and Airbags, but the downside to it was that it had run 75k KM and had unkempt interiors. I encounter deals where the car looks good and is a 2007/2008 model (with the new front grill design), but would have run 65k KM or more and I encounter a 2005 model which has run 40k KM. It increases the confusion as to what to go for; a newer model or lesser KM run as sometimes both the types of cars would have been maintained well.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

While going in for a used vehicle, always look for an impeccably maintained car with all service history. A 5 year old religiously maintained will be more reliable than an ignored 1 year old car.

Next look for a car with low odo reading (<40k kms). At 30-40k kms some parts are due for replacement. After about 60k kms some major replacements are due which might prove expensive for you. If you are going in for a slightly high run vehicle, do bargain hard on these grounds or better, avoid it.

Finally, look for cars which are relatively new. The point here is that you easily get spares for newer models (though for a Maruti, spares are mostly available for all models). And you get a newer model which gives you a feel good factor.

For your budget mentioned, apart from WagonR do look around for low run iRDE i10s. They are very fun to drive and comfortable too. I have seen neat examples going for sub 3L prices.

Happy hunting!!
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread