Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 23rd November 2004, 19:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

I would go for the Petra - a better product than the getz.

As far as FE is concerned with the petra i think a figure of 10 KMPL is what u should get easy ( city driving -ac on )

i know pal ur heart is on the petra ( i think )..... so go on.....
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2004, 22:50   #17
BHPian

Well i have been driving a petra for about 3 months now. I get between 9 & 10 kmpl in the city in bangalore. on the highways i get about 12.

but the ride quality is just amazing!!! i did a trip to the nilgiris last week and was doing 80-100kmph on rather sad roads without the people inside complaining. the handling is quite edgy but entertaining once you get used to it.

resale value? forget about it!!!! people wouldnt take it for free

overall? AMAZING CAR!!!! put in wider tires, a decent music system, a webasto sunroof, oz alloys and stanley seats and you have one hell of a touring car all under 7 lakhs!!!!

willl write more details when i have a little more time
rahulmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2004, 00:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] but the heart is not disciplined enough to agree
I know that feeling! if your heart is set on the Petra then go for it. It's a damn good product and it's engine is far far superior to the Getz. Come on, DOHC 16 valves 32 bit ECU 100 bhp...don't these figures give you goose bumps?
Yes, Resale will be poor but the car will compensate by giving you immense driving pleasure. As for mileage, i guess 9 to 10 kmpl is what you should look at in city depending on traffic conditions. Remember, the Petra is shamelessly biased towards performance.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2004, 01:48   #19
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I say you'd get mileage ranging from 8-10kmpl bumper to bumper traffic. Chances are more that you won't reach double digits in terms of mileage..petra is a lot heavier. Its a wonderful product but if you can put up hopelessly apalling attitude of FIAT & its A.S.S then sure go ahead. I like the car very much myself but would i go for it? I don't think so. As far as resale is concerned 4-5 yrs down the line you're not going to get much anyway..so that should not be an issue since with new models coming out everyday cars are depreciating like mad. The Petra is an awesome car..do find out about the dealers service in your area & if its acceptable then do go for it. Otherwise Getz is a very good bet...it might not be as sporty as petra in terms of driveability & maynot give you that much pleasure but you'll definitely have peace of mind. Plus Getz is a newer design & hugely spacious..interiors are light years ahead of Petra's. Also with Hyundai resale would be better.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2004, 01:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]resale value? forget about it!!!! people wouldnt take it for free
I will, I will! I can pick it up tomorrow if you like.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2004, 02:20   #21

the two cars are from different segments..they should not be compared for power, fuel efficiency, & the things..

Here, your personal preferences & likes should be the first consideration.

If y r considering cars in the same segment then performance, handling, fuel can be compared.

Hyundai have consiously tried to position getz as competing with sedans & confuse the market..it seems to be succeeding too..but not always..

In fact after Hyundai reduced prices of GVS Accent by putting up a GLE version, many people who had booked Getz earlier thought it wise to go for GLE which is just Rs.30000 further.. Hyundai now seem to be rethinking their pricing strategy for the two.

So if your heart is with sleek, zing Getz then get it. But if u like power & poise Petra is the thing. Even Compare it with Accent, Corsa or an Ikon if you want but not with a boyish Getz.

By the way friends I am also in the thick of a jungle of details I have collected for deciding a suitable replacement for my old maruti800. And rather than helping me for a decision, more details are only making me more indecisive. So somebody help me please...

My first preferance-a multi utility vehile.. but I have a budget too. so Fiat Adventure and beyond are out, leaving Corsa-swing and Indigo-Marina (petrol only-my monthly running around 600 km only). If these odd things in indian car scene get voted out for insufficient value for money or risky propositions the my 2nd preference - mid size sedans..In this I have Petra, Corsa and Accent on my short list.

Hope I have given a fairly complicated puzzle to solve..anybody?
godbole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 12:02   #22
BHPian

Default Beware of Petra hydrualic clutch

Simple logic, if you going drive most of the times in city (for office use) please please buy GETZ. Don't fall in FIAT trap. For highways, PETRA is too good car, well you'll never get such a car for less than 7 lacs.

FIAT Palio/Petra has hydraulic clutch and it really painfull for city traffic.

Regards,
Prasanna
Palio/2002/21000 km/10 in city/16-18 in highways/Chennai
prkothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 12:18   #23
BHPian

I think Getz fits the bill perfectly, its got good service backup and even the resale value will be better than petra.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 13:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Why suddenly a 2 year old query has been dug up? I am sure he has already bought his Petra/Getz and clocked some kms in it... isnt it?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 15:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
FIAT Palio/Petra has hydraulic clutch and it really painfull for city traffic.
Could you please explain how a hydraulic clutch differs from a normal clutch?
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 17:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a very old thread dug up. I used to find Petra clutch hard initially (first few months), but don't notice it at all these days. Either my calf muscles are worked up very well by now or, I have simply got used to it.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 18:44   #27
Team-BHP Support

Question still remains how come a 2 year old query surfaced all of a sudden guys?!
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote