Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Uncle needs a B segment diesel. - Read the message before you vote!!!
Palio 1.9 35 72.92%
Indica dls 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th June 2004, 00:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Uncle needs a B segment diesel.

Well, my uncle who lives in Kolkata has planned to go in for a Diesel car that is not only easy to drive and maintain, but also has good FE, resale value and a good service network.

The car will be used mainly within city limits (Kolkata). My uncle has ruled out the Zen D.

We tried a few cars in Hubli and came down to these 2. I personally feel the Indica dls is a better deal than the palio 1.9.

Which one do you guys recommend?

Regards...
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 00:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Palio. Superior in each and every aspect.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 00:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

if ur uncle can wait why not wait for the getz crdi.
the palio seems a better overall vehicle ,the indica only for the phenomenal fuel efficiency
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 01:03   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

i feel its better to wait for the Getz Crdi. So what if its Hyundai. I feel it is easy to drive and maintain, has good FE, resale value and a good service network.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 02:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Any idea when the Getz is coming? R you sure about the diesel option on the Getz?

Regards...
Shan2nu

Old 9th June 2004, 11:11   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yes Shantanu,

The Getz is really going to be worth the wait. Its going to be equipped with a 1.5 liter CRDi option for sure.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 11:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ June 09 2004,09:41)]Yes Shantanu,

The Getz is really going to be worth the wait. Its going to be equipped with a 1.5 liter CRDi option for sure.

GTO
Very true..... Getz is coming in CRDi version too. an intresting peice of news... Wagon R is also going to be CRDi very sooner.

2f2f
2fast2furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 12:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

hey Shantanu,

as you said, ur Uncle wants good resale value, easy maintanance and service. I take it that he's not much of a driving enthusiast. I would say the Indica is more suitable for him. The Palio may be a better car, but not in the areas he is looking at.

The Indica is cheaper to buy, a lil bit more spacious, very cheap spares and service and would be easier to sell than the Palio.

the Getz would be nice, but I think its still atleast 6-8 months away.

Rtech
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 13:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey shantanu, we already discussed this. and i'm still with the Palio d, out of the two. but i guess it's worth waiting for the getz crdi. i'll let you know as soon as i find out something on the launch of the car.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 14:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dunno if my uncle can wait another 6 - 7 months. Rtech has rightfully said that though the Palio is better car, the Indica dls however seems to match my uncle's needs.

Even he seemed happy with the Indica dls. But i'll show him these posts and let him thing over it.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 9th June 2004, 19:46   #11

Hi Shan2nu,
Before your Uncle decides it would be better that U consult with Indica owners who have purchased about 3 years back and do the same with Uno and Siena customers of the same period. This is because I assume Ur uncle would retain the car for atleast 3 years. Then check out what were the parts replaced during the period for the above said cars which should have covered the same mileage. Later take the prices of Spares of Indica and Palio particularly body parts as well as body repair charges. Fiat dealers now have a company approved labour price for the above which is compulsarly to be displayed at the Dealer point, though I do not know about Tata Motors dealerships. I know it is slightly long drawn but buying the cheapest car alone is not right but U should buy a car which is cheaper to maintain as well. I am sure you will be surprised with the Spares prices of Palio particularly the body parts, taking into consideration that they are of a thicker metal gauge. Also the Palio offers Body warranty and Paint warranty for Two years. I hope I have been of some use. Do keep us posted.
Bye.
shushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 16:42   #12
RJK
Senior - BHPian

From what u've written i think your uncle needs cheap & efficient motoring. In that case it has to be the indica. Gives better mileage & very cheap to maintain but only for the first two years after which the problems start to show up. The best thing to do would be to buy the car & sell it within 2years or 50000kms. As you know i also own an indica & I'm going to sell the car now. Let me tell you that in the two years that i had the car i've had no major problems except that i'd to replace the complete silencer once which was under warranty & spherical joint for silencer twice which was once under warranty & next time i paid but let me tell you that it only cost me 350bucks including labor. This is one problem that plagues many indica's. Apart from that with regular oil changes the car should keep him happy as it has in my case.
I agree that palio is a much superior product but its also almost a lakh costlier & mileage is not as good as the indica & I think both of them are your uncle's major concerns.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 13:32   #13

Hi Shan2nu,
My brother owns an indica and I purchased a palio almost at the same time say an year back. let me tell you that the PalioD is a better product then the Indica by a long shot. Mileage as pointed out by other members is obviously lower of a palio and the warranty is less but maintenace wise you'll spend much less in a palio. Also almost everybody I spoke to has pointed out the engine of the indica needs to be serviced after 70,000 kms which I have not heard for a palio so far. Fiat's A. S. S. has been improving lately. I'll advice you to go for the palio if you uncle is going to drive it as driving an indica I found is bit of a chore .

Abhi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2004, 23:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

If your uncle want's a car right away, he should go for the Palio D. If he is prepared to wait, he should compare the Palio with the Getz CRDi and buy the one he likes more.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2004, 18:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Tell him to go for the Indica... no doubt a gr8 car and DLS is the model to go for.. just power steering and body coloured bumpers!!
Beats the Palio in every except brand name and some Quality!!!
Gives much mroe FE than the palio... has more space than the palio... is very very cheap to maintain.. and parts are available! And a gr8 service network!!!

Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote