Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 23rd November 2007, 12:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

You are going to use in city and that too only 500km. A small car makes more sense for traffic.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 14:13   #17

My main usage is daily commute to work back and forth and within city during weekends. I do not think I will take the car for very long drives very often. I intend to keep this car for the next 5-6 years. I have driven Maruti 800 and so, this is not my first car.

There is no discount on i10 as expected since this is a new car. Does anyone have an idea on how the sales for this car look? Ford ikon also does not have much discounts except that they are giving free insurance worth 16K and corporate discount of ~7K.

Additionally, is it better to buy the car at the end of the year, go for temporary registration for a month and permanent registration thereafter in 2008? I heard from a dealer person that car prices are increasing in 2008. Is this true? What do people in the forum suggest?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Suresh
suresh183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 14:36   #18

Default i10 or iKon

I am going to be using the car mainly to commute to work on a daily basis and around the city during weekends. I have driven the Maruti 800 and so, this is not my first car. I intend to keep the car for the next 5-6 years.

Regarding discounts, i10 does not come with any since it is a new car. Ford iKon also does not have much discounts too - only 16K insurance offer + 7.5K corporate discount in terms of accessories. Hence, i10 will come for 4.36L and iKon for 5.44L with 3yr extended warranty.

I am also not very clear about what is the best time to buy - one of the car dealer person I talked to mentioned that car prices are increasing in 2008 and hence, it is better to buy within 2007, go for temporary registration and thereafter, permanent reg in 2008. Is this doable?

Regarding FE and A.S.S., I would definitely rate i10 better than ikon.
iKon scores higher only in car and boot space and driving comfort.

Thanks,
Suresh
suresh183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 15:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

i10 and iKon are on extreme ends of the market. While i10 is entering, iKon is just about to exit.

Looking at the fact that you're getting a 3-year extended warranty, iKon should not be very difficult to maintain, but remember the spares, their cost and availability.

On the other hand, if you already own a small car, iKon would be a good upgrade.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 15:24   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to confuse you but why not the Swift for under 5L ? I mean it has a mix of both the options that you have listed
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:48   #21
BHPian

Wow !! One more guy considering the ikon.... ford guys should definitely think about introducing a new face lifted more contemporary looking version of this beautiful.

Nyways I personally believe that Ikon is a beautiful car. I own one so yes i am biased, but still its a pleasure to drive. Haven't tried i10 but found it more fun to drive than swift. City driving is not much of an issue and it still is a big car.

Summing up .... go for iKon .

One question ... how does ford manages to find most unfriendly people everywhere to give their dealerships too ??
akshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 12:47   #22
BHPian

Personal Opinion: I would definitely pick the Ikon. Actually im in the process of selling my 2005ZenVxi and should pick up the Ikon 1.3 Flair thereafter....... (the copper rust colour is awesome!!)
I dont think the congested Mumbai roads deter me, its the driving pleasure that excites me!!
Freaky_Sid!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 14:42   #23
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh183 View Post
I am also not very clear about what is the best time to buy - one of the car dealer person I talked to mentioned that car prices are increasing in 2008
Right now you will be able to get heavy discounts as the year is ending and the dealers would like to clear off their existing stocks.
Regarding price hike, dont know about other cars about i10 prices are going to increase as they have said that this is their introductory price(may be then freebies will alse be offered)
Quote:
and hence, it is better to buy within 2007, go for temporary registration and thereafter, permanent reg in 2008. Is this doable?
Yes this is doable.
People also do temporary registrations inorder to get a particular number which might not be available at the moment.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 15:27   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky_Sid!! View Post
Actually im in the process of selling my 2005ZenVxi and should pick up the Ikon 1.3 Flair thereafter....... (the copper rust colour is awesome!!)
I dont think the congested Mumbai roads deter me, its the driving pleasure that excites me!!
Sid, this thread should provide you with some info.:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...12000-kms.html
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 15:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Aah...more guys going for Ikon. Looks good to me. It is a perfect driver's car. Though the spares are little costiler compared to MASS, the car is worth it. But then, there are no problems with the car too. I do not even spend a pie on the car. I will do servicing every six months once. Currently, I'am enjoying the ride. There are many threads in this forum regarding Ikon. The one above written b Benney is good for you to decide.

If offered a choice, I can simply conclude - Go for IKON man.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 12:30   #26
BHPian

Hey benny...very interesting and informative thread on your Ikon. Pure passion i'd ay. Its relieving to see some one have such pleasant experiences when most of the janta is complaining. Re-enforces my decesion to go for the Ikon.

I think im getting a decent deal on the Ikon - 5.03lacs on road mumbai (inclusive of insurance-16.5k and regn-36.5k). Plus a few accessories thrown in ( rear spoiler,autocop keyless entry, leather seat covers and steering grip, sun-film, teflon coating and anti-rust below). Am trying to negotiate with the dealer to discount the insurance too....lets see!!
Freaky_Sid!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 21:34   #27
BHPian

if u ask me, for bangalore driving, the i10 is the best option, and from what i'v e heard, i think a hyundai would work out cheaper than an ikon on the long run
croonneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by croonneck View Post
if u ask me, for bangalore driving, the i10 is the best option, and from what i'v e heard, i think a hyundai would work out cheaper than an ikon on the long run
It all depends on your driving skills. Yes, small cars are better to handle. But once you are used to mid size/bigger cars, then driving would be pleasure. I had an WagonR earlier and I also thought of the same thing. But once I'am used to my present car, I feel this is more comfortable/ better than the earlier car.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

To reiterate my earlier point, the only thing that is common between the i10 & the ikon is the i. the ikon is in a different league altogether whereas the i10 is just an improvised look of the santro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sid, this thread should provide you with some info.:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...12000-kms.html

do it seems your love for the ikon is moving more & more people closer to the ikon.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 09:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
And its good to know the cauvery is giving good service. Atleast in kerala i dont think Kairali is doing a good job. They are a bunch of guys with real attitude problems. They dont know what customer friendliness really means. They dont know what could cause an irregular rpm and they dont accept it should not happen. Even if you take them for a drive They dont hear the noise from you suspension untill your warranty os over. They dont have time to even check the fliud levels on your power steering to confrm if there is a possible leak ifyou dont go with a prior appointment and also dont decide to wait for hours for their emergency service to come and grab service charges from you. Well..thats not how i'd like my service centre guys to behave. WHichever country i am in.
\

I totally agree with you dude! Kairali Ford has the most PATHETIC A** i've ever seen. After the royal treatment i get at the honda service for my NHC, i'm treated like something the cat dragged in at the ford place!Almost all the guys will be on leave, those who are there have a feeling that its thanks to them that the world is still spinning! Thankfully, i had to get only the first service done here!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote