Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 22nd December 2004, 19:02   #16
BHPian

I think with your budget the best option is to go for a santro as they are very good for city driving and the maintainence is pretty low.
rohithdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 00:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yeh, go for a Santro rather than a zen. BTW, i personally prefer the Santros without Power steering.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 12:18   #18
BHPian

even my choice was santro , but why do u say that it is good w/o power steering.
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 12:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

I feel that power steering in small cars like santro, zen, alto etc is more for show than for effect. These cars are already so light that turning the wheels from lock to lock hardly takes any effort.... unless you have really weak arms. Plus, i heard that power steering does eat into your FE a bit.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 13:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default ??

What makes you say that Power steering if of no use for small cars..??...
Have you ever driven Indica DLE??.. or for that matter WagonR LX??...
If you have not, i suggest u do.... and its not about having a weak arm or a strong arm... the utility of P.S. lies in the increased maneuverability of the vehicle.. which you will only know if you have driven a car like Indica or WagonR with and w/o P.S.
And about P.S. eating into F.E. of vehicle.. never heard of that.. can u please enlighten me how its possible..??.. it may be true for Hydraulic P.S., but for small cars which come with EPS... it cant be true... or can it be.. ??.. plz enlighten me...
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 13:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Dude, firstly, diesel cars are heavier than their petrol counterparts, and when i said "small cars", i had petrol cars only in mind.
As far as maneuverability is concerned, a small car with power steering will turn as much as one without. Putting power steering in a small car is like fixing a rear spoiler on a car that will hardly every cross 120. The only time power steering's effect would be noticable would be when the car is stationary and u want to turn the wheels. Thats anyways not good for tires.
And yeah i have driven a WagonR, dunno whether it was LX or not. As far as handling is concerned, it wasnt any different from my zen.
And how many small cars come with EPS?
Old 23rd December 2004, 14:03   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I agree with dceite. Excepting for the Maruti 800, I would prefer to drive with a power steering in any car...whether big or small.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 14:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

I second GTO on that . Power steering is always useful on any car whether big or small. Didnt get that logic of PS affecting FE

Dippy

P.S Isnt this thread going off topic the power steering way? I think we're helping maanu45 choose a car LOL
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 14:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

"The hydraulic power for the steering is provided by a rotary-vane pump. This pump is driven by the car's engine via a belt and pulley."
The above is from howstuffworks. That means the engine is doing some work other than making ur car move. Thus affecting the car's FE.
Well, all that u guys have said is that u would prefer a car with power steering. I am sure there must be some logic behind this preference, which i am not able to get.

Amitoj
PS: yeah this thread is now going wayyyy off topic
Old 23rd December 2004, 15:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

hey amitoj,
even i feel PS is required in all the cars.try parking ur zen into a tight corner and then try it in PS zen.u will feel the diff.

but ,in this case,i feel the PS in the maruti is more better than the hyundai as u will need the extra maintainence of the hydraulic PS fluid.u need not do this in maruti as it has EPS.
but for getting Zen/wagon r with eps,u will have to look for post 2000 models.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 17:10   #26
BHPian

i personally would prefer to have a power steering in whatever car i have as i feel that even m800 has a freee steering but i m not sure abt the other cars and with all the responses i have received i can conclude to buy a santro or a zen.
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 20:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the PS system increases fuel consumpiton by about 3-5% in the regular Hydraulic system. The santr,imo, feels much better withoutPS because you get some sort of feedback from the steering. And you can turn the wheel with one hand without much effort from lock to lock. The PS lacks any feel when driven above 40kph (in a santro). If you can't live without PS, then go for the Electronic version of it.

And we r a bit off topic but ultimately we're still helping mannaa choose a car.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote