Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 5th December 2007, 18:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Like another person pointed out in a thread yesterday, if safety matters to you, the options are very limited in the sub-10L bracket!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...res-india.html (Safety features in India)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Most owners think their car is the best handling and the most powerful in the segment and the best car in the world.
The lesser the car sells or more it takes thrashing from public, the more defensive they become!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th December 2007 at 18:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 19:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Most owners think their car is the best handling and the most powerful in the segment and the best car in the world.
Err I don't like being impolite but this calls for it. Where on earth did i mention its the best car in the world? I still maintain Cedia is the best car in its segment in terms of handling and yes I know what a good handling car should be cos i've driven a Lotus Exige S.

Instead of passing lame comments like this, why don't you go test drive whatever is available sub 10 lacs and then decide yourself? I never expected a moderator to act so lame.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 19:34   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Err I don't like being impolite but this calls for it. Where on earth did i mention its the best car in the world? I still maintain Cedia is the best car in its segment in terms of handling and yes I know what a good handling car should be cos i've driven a Lotus Exige S.

Instead of passing lame comments like this, why don't you go test drive whatever is available sub 10 lacs and then decide yourself? I never expected a moderator to act so lame.
i dont think hes mentioned that you said it.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 19:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i dont think hes mentioned that you said it.
It was a direct implication wasn't it. I'm the only one with a cedia in this thread. Anyway I'm sorry if it wasn't directed at me.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 5th December 2007 at 19:39.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 20:14   #20
BHPian

Any particular reason why Safari 2.2 is not in that list?
If Safari is something you dont want.. i would suggest Optra and Cedia.

Cheers
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 21:24   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

huh, where did you get the impression It was targetted at you??
I made a general statement, which is true for all what car threads. Handling, ride etc., are best decided by a TD, the owner who loves the car will always sing praises.
Anyways why should I TD, I am not buying a sub 10L sedan, maybe the OP should
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 21:56   #22
BHPian

Hey guys, please cool down. I do not want to lose on valuable feedback from everyone here due to this small flare-up.

(If that comment was directed at me, I dont care, bcoz I still believe Palio is the best car in its class).

BTW, the very reason I am asking for your feedback is that the very short test drives offered on city roads do not necessarliy reveal aspects such as ride quality, road handling etc. So, once again, all your input will be appreciated.
psp62in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 10:49   #23
BANNED

Honda City wil be another Good option to look at
nicejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 11:27   #24
BHPian

Hey psp62in.

Since a lot of options have been given to you, Why dont u narrow down your choice so that we can have a better discussion rather than heating up the thread.

Hope u dont mind on that. We all are here to help you
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 12:10   #25
BHPian

I had the same dilema when I was looking to upgrade from a Palio 1.6 sport. I zeroed down on a Civic finally.

Here's my take on the features that you looking for your in new car:

-same drivability and comfort: Civic is equal if not better
- solid built: Am not so sure about this; maybe the Palio is better on this count
- the road hugging feel even at high speeds: Civic is better due to it's low stance
- On top of it, I now want something with ABS, & preferably airbags: Both options available in Civic as stock
Things you will miss in a Civic compared to a Palio:
- Low end grunt and the effortless pick-up.
- Ground clearance

Obviously, you will have to stretch your budget by a bit!
Kontoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 18:52   #26
BHPian

Its not just that I am going 4 a new car, it has to replace my exisitng one, so there is bound to be comparison with it on all fronts.
(Off topic - I happen to be spending almost 50% of my time travelling abroad, and have driven so many different models on rentals. May be my emphasis on safety features, perfromance and handling emanates from that. Unfortunately the cars I would like to have - like Camry or Accord, are so much more costly here in India)

Found some interstsing review threads on SX4 & Cedia -
Amit's SX4 review thread was useful (he had a Palio before) and is making me to steer away from SX4.

There r a lot Cedia lovers around, but only one dealer in Mumbai (? .. I need to confirm this), that too at the other end of Mumbai. After Fiat experience of distant A.S.S. centers, I wonder if I should go through this trouble again for next 4-5 years. But still Cedia does remains on the list.

A friend of mine suggests to consider Elantra crdi. (Not sure if it's being replaced)

I also thought of Optra 1.6, on paper its perfromance seems marginally lower than Cedia but would like to have a feed back from anyone who has switched from Palio 1.6.

So, what would be your take of the three above (Cedia/Elanta/Optra)? Or any other suggestions?
psp62in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 21:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Its not just that I am going 4 a new car, it has to replace my exisitng one, so there is bound to be comparison with it on all fronts.
(Off topic - I happen to be spending almost 50% of my time travelling abroad, and have driven so many different models on rentals. May be my emphasis on safety features, perfromance and handling emanates from that. Unfortunately the cars I would like to have - like Camry or Accord, are so much more costly here in India)

Found some interstsing review threads on SX4 & Cedia -
Amit's SX4 review thread was useful (he had a Palio before) and is making me to steer away from SX4.

There r a lot Cedia lovers around, but only one dealer in Mumbai (? .. I need to confirm this), that too at the other end of Mumbai. After Fiat experience of distant A.S.S. centers, I wonder if I should go through this trouble again for next 4-5 years. But still Cedia does remains on the list.

A friend of mine suggests to consider Elantra crdi. (Not sure if it's being replaced)

I also thought of Optra 1.6, on paper its perfromance seems marginally lower than Cedia but would like to have a feed back from anyone who has switched from Palio 1.6.

So, what would be your take of the three above (Cedia/Elanta/Optra)? Or any other suggestions?

Elantra is no longer in production. Plus the new model is speculated for mid 2008 launch. Even if you can get your hands on one of the last remaining pieces...its not worth it. (Not the cars fault though!)

Optra - Fuel guzzler, not so powerful and probably expensive A.S.S. Gr8 looking car though. Extremely good interiors!

Cedia - Well enough had been said about this one. So will not repeat. Though AMONG the tree you have listed Cedia is definately the winner.

I guess the correct shortlist should be Cedia/Civic/Verna CRDi

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 6th December 2007 at 21:24.
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 12:35   #28
BHPian

As you already driving Palio. Cedia or Civic would be better choice to shorlist. I would prefer Cedia which will give you similler driving pleasure like Palio.
You can ask test drive for some long stretch. Try test drive on busy as well as empty stretch and make decesion.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 13:18   #29
Team-BHP Support

I was thinking cedia is best for you, but you mentioned that the service center is other end of Mumbai. Considering it takes 2 hours minimum for you to get to the service center, this becomes slightly unattractive.

That said, I feel cedia is the most good looking and sporty car in the sub 10L bracket.
So you have to balance your desire for sportyness with the A.S.S. difficulties to make this purchase.

Not an easy decision, but only you can take this.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 13:46   #30
BHPian

I would go with Cedia too.....
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote