Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 10th February 2009, 21:16   #76
BHPian

Smile

well prashant I am neither a automobile freak nor a laid back car person - but I have had the luck to drive a assortment of vehicles in India and abroad.

First ask your self a few questions:

1. What will the main purpose of the vehicle - city driving or some hwy driving thrown in?
2. Who will be driving it mainly?
3. Are you ICEing it?
4. Are interiors top priority?
5. Rattles - to be or not to be?
6. A.S.S - long haul and resale value

Ans: If you are gonna use it mainly and its main purpose is city driving (with an occasional hwy drive thrown in) and youare a driving enthusiast then its Swift all the way.

Reason the engine and suspension setup of the swift is leagues ahead of the i10. The i10 idDE cannot match the Swift whereas the Kappa though a ecent package fails to deliver because of the setup of the i10 - too much body roll.

If you go on ICEing it and Ajay Bhai (B&T) can guide you through that - the drive in the swift will cut through the i10 (i10 ride is pretty smooth too). And don't worry about the rattles - a 100 rupee note and kind words can get the A.S.S guy at maruti fix it up. Imp to note if you ICE it - then damping absolutely necessary.

Rattles - can be fixed and yes some Swifts seem not to have this problem honestly. The areas of service seem to be the doors (LHS mainly) and the dash.

A maruit will technically command a higher resale value than i10 - swift is a proven car and all cars till now are more or less the same i.e. same engine, body work etc whereas the Hyundai guys first introduced the i10 with a irDE engine and then the Kappa - that is going to create a confusion in the 2nd hand car market IMHO. And i still think i10 is yet to prove itslef.

PS: Honestly i am not biased towards any of Maruti and Hyundai - in the last few months I have had bad experiences with both of them regardign a car bookign and booked a hyundai and cancelled it later and then have booked a Swift VDi and the amount is still lying at the dealership.

Mes wannna a SX4 (with recession or no recession - 2 lakh loan does not hurt does it) but with the reviews about sx4 not too bright i am at cross roads. And no I am still not a maruti fan inspite of having a short stint at their gurgaon HQ
suprateep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 00:52   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You seem to be one satisfied i10 owner
Not a owner yet. But a prospective one!!!
superbhikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 12:26   #78
BHPian

Guys, pardon me for opening up an old thread. But this is only place where these two cars are being compared.

So how does Swift 1.2 K-Series (with new softer suspension) and i10 Kappa stack up? Which is a better buy?

These would be the typical newbie's requirements:
1. Responsible yet fun-filled driving
2. 3-4 passengers regularly; occassionally 5 pax.
3. Low maintenance bills (including regular service bills, not just damanged part replacements)
4. Ride quality (especially rear seat effect) - over humps, potholes, etc
5. Mainly for city use; occassional (2 -3 times per year) highway trips.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 14:06   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Guys, pardon me for opening up an old thread. But this is only place where these two cars are being compared.

So how does Swift 1.2 K-Series (with new softer suspension) and i10 Kappa stack up? Which is a better buy?

3. Low maintenance bills (including regular service bills, not just damanged part replacements)
There is no doubt that Swift is an excellent car. But for a newbie, driving (and parking) a Swift in a congested city like Bangalore can be a nightmare.

Swift doesn't have good rear and side visibility. New driver's have a very difficult time getting used to its wide body. It is difficult to judge its edges.

On the other hand, i10 has good front, side and rear visibility. It is easy to drive and park even in tight spots. The high speed handling of i10 is not in the same league as Swift, but is manageable for the occasional highway trips.

i10's kappa engine is very capable, even for the highways (just like Swift's K-series engine).

Apart from the newbie factor and congested city usage factor, Swift would outperform i10 in all the other requirements you have mentioned.

If you are open to other options, may I suggest the Ritz. IMHO, it combines the positives of both i10 and Swift.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 15:01   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Responsible ? well its in the hands of the driver. Fun Filled Driving - Its the Swift.
2. Rear Seat is Swift not as good as an i10. Be in Space or Comfort, i10 is better than Swift
3. As far as i know, both are decent cars and wont give you much trouble to be worried about service bills and replacements. However Maruti may be slightly less in spares cost
4. Ride Quality - Swift - Hands down. i10 has tons of body roll and quite bumpy in rear
5. Both cars are good enough for this requirment. However i10 may hold a slight edge in City (Due to its motor Assisted PS) and Swift will be in its own leauge whenn it comes to Highway (Superb Handling and high revving engine)
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 17:35   #81
BHPian

Quote:

The swift anyday!!!

All your 5 requirements are easily better in the Swift and the K series has made the car even better. Maybe the maintenance part alone will be comparable.
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 20:12   #82
BHPian

Since you are a newbie, this is the suggested car(in order of preference)

If you like the looks:
1) Ritz (As Rohan said, best of both worlds:i10 and swift)
2) i10 (Better visibility for a newbie : Inspires confidence while parking/reversing plus fresh and new interiors)
3) Swift ( Actually an excellent choice, but for a newbie could be a bit tough, old interiors)

If you dont like the look of Ritz then i10 it is.

But mind you, do take a test drive of all the above cars before deciding. Test driving and getting "the feel" is the best way to decide!

All the best. You can't go wrong with any of them.
iPai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 14:35   #83
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Engine & Transmission : Swift all the way. No comparison
Handling & ride quality : Swift. Handling is way superior, but neither hatch has great ride quality (softened Swift is better though)
Interior practicality : i10
Overall quality : i10

My pick between the two would be the Swift, especially now that it has the brilliant K-series engine (never liked the outdated 1.3L). Note that a lot of new hatchbacks have been launched after the Swift & i10. You'd do well in test-driving the Ritz (a practical Swift), the Micra, Beat and Figo.

Last edited by GTO : 14th July 2010 at 14:36.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 10:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

1. Responsible yet fun-filled driving -
If its fun you are looking for, look no further than the Swift.

Maybe the i10 scores better in this regard.

3. Low maintenance bills (including regular service bills, not just damanged part replacements).
Both the cars would be comparable.

I do not know much about i10 since its been long time since I have been in one, but the Swift's suspension isnt that comfortable either, even after softening. Vista/Figo are much better in this regard.

Swift is pretty easy to drive in city traffic (again, no experience with i10) and has pretty good FE too. Its a great little highway car too!

However, I do recommend taking a good look at the Ritz ZXi too, as it is much more easily available, and almost 60k rupees cheaper than the Swift after discounts. + You get a wider colour choice than the Swift too.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 21:50   #85
BHPian

i10 kappa is the best. I have driven it a lot. Nice and zippy, comfortable and has a really nice driving position. Buy the i10.
rutwij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:31   #86

Default Re: Maruti Swift or Hyundai i10?

HI. I want to buy hatchback for me.
I am looking for Hyundai i10 Magna 1.2 Kappa Or Maruti swift Lxi 1.2 in my budget.
My height is 5.4 and mostly driving in City. monthly ones on highway.
Is i10 safe for highway drive as compared to Swift?
Sukrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 14:36   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukrut View Post
HI. I want to buy hatchback for me.
I am looking for Hyundai i10 Magna 1.2 Kappa Or Maruti swift Lxi 1.2 in my budget.
My height is 5.4 and mostly driving in City. monthly ones on highway.
Hi Sukrut. Both the cars are proven and reliable. The 1.2 K-Series engine on the Swift is awesome (trust me, cos I've booked the Swift ). You can go ahead for the Swift if your priorities are resale value and A.S.S. Otherwise I think the Magna 1.2 might be a better choice because of the equipment list. The 1.2 Kappa engine is not a scorcher but it performs well on the highway. The Swift does it with ease whereas the i10 struggles a little bit to get to the same speed. I think you would be better off with the i10.

Cheers,
Kaushik

OT: Why don't you stretch your budget a little and go for the Swift VXi? would be much better than the i10 1.2 Magna any day.
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 22:19   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukrut View Post
I dont know about safety, but you are going to have waay more fun on the highway in a Swift, given its nippy handling,willing engine and overall nimble nature.

However, if its the LXi you are considering, I suggest you stretch for either the VXi (with ABS, if possible) or get the i10 Magna or the Ritz VXi/ZXi. The LXi is absolutely spartan in its appointments and I think not worth the price they ask for it.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 14:30   #89
Senior - BHPian

I would rate Swift a much safer car on highway than i10 for the following reaons -
1. Great handling
2. better stability at higher speeds
3. lower stance/lower CG/beter stability
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote