Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2008, 18:27   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Estilo's AT variant is out?
No, not yet.

Guys just because the i10 is priced like the Santro's price some years back doesnot make the i10 a updates Santro.

Congrats Determinus on finalising the spark, however no discounts?? How come, in the year end all vehicles were hacing discount.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 19:14   #32
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,189 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Self driven, will be used purely for city commuting, but safety and comfort are the highest priority, means -- good ride comfort and options of ABS/ EBD/ airbags is a must.And one single feature should be "trouble free"

Additional requirements: should be easy for elder people to get in and out and once in a while it might be taken to a highway. Fuel efficiency or resale is not a concern. Should be small, easy to park (visibility).

Any other suggestions to "Small reliable car, ALL safety options, comfortable ride, round about 6L"? Thanks in advance.
Use purely for city commuting - ABS/EBD/Airbags is a must---Why???

"Trouble Free" - How does Spark fit the bill???

Easy for elderly people....Obviously means more leg room, again, how does Spark fit the bill??

I feel sorry that she decided on the Spark, which hardly meets any of the requirements, but at the end of the day, it is her decision, I guess.

Good luck to her with the new car.

Cheers,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 19:19   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
"Trouble Free" - How does Spark fit the bill???
The Spark is a trouble free car, its basically a new look Matiz & the Matiz was quite trouble free.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 19:36   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,769 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Use purely for city commuting - ABS/EBD/Airbags is a must---Why???
Accidents dont happen in the City?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
"Trouble Free" - How does Spark fit the bill???
Any incident till now that proves otherwise?

I feel most owners here are satisfied with the car. Sales, however has been a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Easy for elderly people....Obviously means more leg room, again, how does Spark fit the bill??
Ease for elderly people also mean ease of entry/ exit. This was one of the main plus points of Santro/WagonR over the old zen and likes (which made the odd-looking tall boys score over the good old hatches). Here Spark scores good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Congrats Determinus on finalising the spark, however no discounts?? How come, in the year end all vehicles were hacing discount.

GM is having a tough time selling Spark. There were huge discounts, and there will be better discounts sooner rather than later.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st January 2008 at 19:40.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 19:40   #35
rks
BANNED
 
rks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ??
Posts: 1,237
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I feel sorry that she decided on the Spark, which hardly meets any of the requirements, but at the end of the day, it is her decision, I guess.
In my view the i10 is a better choice, but as you say, it's the lady's decision. The Spark is probably the easiset to drive and park as compared to i10 and Swift Zxi. That might have influenced her. I personally think that maneuverability of the car is its most important safety feature on our roads and in that respect she made a good choice.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 20:07   #36
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,189 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Accidents dont happen in the City?
They most certainly do. Lets see how airbags work:

Since the early days of auto airbags, experts have cautioned that airbags are to be used in tandem with seat belts. Seat belts were still completely necessary because airbags worked only in front-end collisions occurring at more than 10 mph (16 kph). Only seat belts could help in side swipes and crashes (although side-mounted airbags are becoming more common now), rear-end collisions and secondary impacts. Even as the technology advances, airbags still are only effective when used with a lap/shoulder seat belt.
It didn't take long to learn that the force of an airbag can hurt those who are too close to it. Researchers have determined that the risk zone for driver airbags is the first 2 to 3 inches (5 to 8 cm) of inflation. So, placing yourself 10 inches (25 cm) from your driver airbag gives you a clear margin of safety.

I am sure that few city accidents are front collision. I am also sure the spark does not have side airbags. Also, how many people actually wear seat belts or insist on their passengers wearing seat belts? The Air bag is essentially useless without the seat belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ease for elderly people also mean ease of entry/ exit. This was one of the main plus points of Santro/WagonR over the old zen and likes (which made the odd-looking tall boys score over the good old hatches). Here Spark scores good.
Entry/Exit is sure important. I feel so is seating comfort, especially in bumper to bumper city traffic. Afterall you are going to spend more time sitting inside the car than getting in and out of the car.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 10:04   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 61
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I am looking for a car for 5 Lakhs for city drive (bangalore). Avg monthly usage is not more than 600 KMs. The cars in my mind are

1. Swift Vxi
2 i10 Magna

Can you please suggest which car I should go far.
skumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 21:03   #38
BHPian
 
hyper123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 321
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar View Post
I am looking for a car for 5 Lakhs for city drive (bangalore). Avg monthly usage is not more than 600 KMs. The cars in my mind are

1. Swift Vxi
2 i10 Magna

Can you please suggest which car I should go far.
Please be more specific about your requirements (power, handling, mileage, etc) and search the other threads. Lots have been discussed about small cars.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 21:48   #39
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delhi ---- Noida
Posts: 98
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar View Post
I am looking for a car for 5 Lakhs for city drive (bangalore). Avg monthly usage is not more than 600 KMs. The cars in my mind are

1. Swift Vxi
2 i10 Magna

Can you please suggest which car I should go far.
I think from above two cars u should go for the Swift Vxi...
Nos007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 22:02   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Swift VXi, if you want a bigger car, more power, great handling, enthusiastic drive, you are happy with 9-11kmph in the city, sporty good quality black interiors.

i10 if you can compromise on power(I'm not saying underpowered, its only an unenthusiastic drive), good mileage of about 12-14kmph, biege good quality interiors.


If I were you, I would buy the Swift, simply because its for the young at heart. i10 is more of a family car, IMO.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 00:41   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Also, how many people actually wear seat belts or insist on their passengers wearing seat belts? The Air bag is essentially useless without the seat belt.
remember, the shopper started with safety features on top of her mind. that's an incorrect assumption/example/excuse you are making. in fact, your initial questioning on the safety features itself was not good.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 14:48   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 61
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks for your responses. To add more details about requirements this is going to be my first car. I am family of 2 (wife and Kid) and the specific requirements are good mileage and maintenance. I know Maruti is best at service but I assume Hyundai too.
skumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 13:30   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Loughborough,UK
Posts: 49
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Small car, all safety features, below 6L

Bumping this thread, I am looking for a similar answer in 2014. Car for my parents. Ideally a CNG/LPG version with all safety bells. Automatic would be super.

Last edited by shibu : 6th November 2014 at 13:33. Reason: more details
shibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti considering safety features even for small cars volkman10 The Indian Car Scene 30 22nd October 2015 21:39
Car with the best safety features ? joecherian What Car? 98 30th March 2015 19:17
Crash worthiness/safety features v_s_natarajan The Indian Car Scene 24 3rd March 2005 15:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks