Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 20:27   #1
BHPian
 
determinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 276
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Small car, all safety features, below 6L

A friend of mine - my boss's wife, a child psychologist - is looking for a small car. Self driven, will be used purely for city commuting, but safety and comfort are the highest priority, means -- good ride comfort and options of ABS/ EBD/ airbags is a must. AT is desired option, but can do without. And one single feature should be "trouble free" (which actually rules many options out )

Additional requirements: should be easy for elder people to get in and out and once in a while it might be taken to a highway. Fuel efficiency or resale is not a concern. Should be small, easy to park (visibility). Her husband drives a Civic AT, and she currently drives a 1996 Cielo AT!!! Budget is not an issue, but setting a limit of 6L. For a good candidate, it is flexible.

After going round and round, we keep coming back to Spark. Other than it is 'yet-another-car-from-GM', is it the right choice? The second option is the Zen Estilo as it comes with an AT. My boss is trying to push the purchase till the launch of Fabia with the PD engine :-)

The also rans were Swift - small rear glasshouse, visibility, wider towards bottom; Getz - very spacious but too big and too low; Fusion - no ABS or airbag as options, also big; the height and visibility makes this a good compromise option; Santro - didnt like the ride; Palio - big and sturdy, but road visibility is a concern and no airbag options. Anything missing here?

Any other suggestions to "Small reliable car, ALL safety options, comfortable ride, round about 6L"? Thanks in advance.
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:33   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Actually the Swift ZXi seems to be the ideal car for her.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:40   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,678 Times
Default

I think the i10 might be the answer
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:41   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Actually the Swift ZXi seems to be the ideal car for her.
I agree I have the same car and feature at that price are quite good.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:45   #5
BHPian
 
hyper123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 321
Thanked: Once
Default

If he can wait for the fabia, wouldn't that be a better choice? It may be more expensive than the swift, but I'm sure the quality and safety features will be better than the swift.

Last edited by hyper123 : 10th December 2007 at 20:46.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,972
Thanked: 16,758 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
ABS/ EBD/ airbags is a must.
Within 6L, with ABS/EBD/Airbags. I guess the options are limited to the i10 and the Swift (leaving Estilo/Spark etc). Of which my choice would defenitly be the Swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
If he can wait for the fabia, wouldn't that be a better choice?
Since the design is almost same, and size is a bit more. The negatives he has mentioned about the Swift would only be more on the Fabia.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th December 2007 at 20:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:56   #7
BHPian
 
hyper123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 321
Thanked: Once
Default

Size is not the only thing. Visibility depends on the driving position and the area of the greenhouse. Swift's small rear window kills visibility. I think the pros out-weigh the cons.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 21:13   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,760
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default

wait for the i10 to come out with an auto.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 21:25   #9
BHPian
 
roms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 640
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Agree with others, I10 AT could be a prime candidate. It may be a bit pricey, but then you dont get many options with an auto tranny anyways. Plus, the fetaure list seems to be long. My vote for I10.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 21:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,972
Thanked: 16,758 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
wait for the i10 to come out with an auto.
This months Overdrive says i10 is available with the option of auto tranny which used to come in the Santro.

Might be a mistake!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 21:40   #11
BHPian
 
saabasheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 69
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
"Small reliable car, ALL safety options, comfortable ride, round about 6L"?
SKODA Fabia would be the all rounder for you, but have to wait for 1 month and stretch the budget slightly but sure no more disappointments.............You will get all you want
saabasheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 22:22   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Its Swift ZXi. If they are looking at comfort, let me tell you that I felt that the front seats of the swift are more comfy than the i10, although I agree that the rear seats of i10 are more comfortable. I thought this is because of the narrowness of the i10. I really don't think the wider-towards-bottom is much of a concern. And you can overcome the rear visibility issues by opting for optional parking sensors also.

Also, I don't feel that the Fabia having the ABS/EBD, airbags will come at a price tag of below 6l.
blue_pulsar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 22:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
A friend of mine - my boss's wife, a child psychologist - is looking for a small car. Self driven, will be used purely for city commuting, but safety and comfort are the highest priority, means -- good ride comfort and options of ABS/ EBD/ airbags is a must. AT is desired option, but can do without. And one single feature should be "trouble free" (which actually rules many options out )

Additional requirements: should be easy for elder people to get in and out and once in a while it might be taken to a highway. Fuel efficiency or resale is not a concern. Should be small, easy to park (visibility). Her husband drives a Civic AT, and she currently drives a 1996 Cielo AT!!! Budget is not an issue, but setting a limit of 6L. For a good candidate, it is flexible.

After going round and round, we keep coming back to Spark. Other than it is 'yet-another-car-from-GM', is it the right choice? The second option is the Zen Estilo as it comes with an AT. My boss is trying to push the purchase till the launch of Fabia with the PD engine :-)
i10, Opt for Magna-O,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Within 6L, with ABS/EBD/Airbags. I guess the options are limited to the i10 and the Swift (leaving Estilo/Spark etc). Of which my choice would defenitly be the Swift.
I too heard that there is an auto but! it comes only as Era spec and not as Magna spec, a shame!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 23:53   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,646 Times
Default

Below 6L the cars coming with ABS and Airbags
1. Swift
2. Indica
3. i10

Fabia? I thought we are talking 6L. Fabia is going to be atleast 6.5L Ex showroom
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 23:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Ford Fusion, not sure if it comes with ABS, airbags though, but 7lac up.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti considering safety features even for small cars volkman10 The Indian Car Scene 30 22nd October 2015 21:39
Car with the best safety features ? joecherian What Car? 98 30th March 2015 19:17
Crash worthiness/safety features v_s_natarajan The Indian Car Scene 24 3rd March 2005 15:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks