Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 12th December 2007, 11:36   #1
BHPian

Default Santro Phase Out ???

Guys - I need some help here to decide on Santro Vs. i10 Vs. Swift.

This is going to be my First car and i am looking out for all possible information from you guys.

I am pretty much decided to go for Santro GLS. But due to recent launch of i10, i am hearing that Santro will be phased out soon.

I am little confused here to decide on which one to go.

Appreciate your help and early response.
Old 12th December 2007, 13:37   #2
BHPian

yeah, change it to swift. You will NOT regret. Else Depends on your budget. I10 is hugely overpriced.
Old 12th December 2007, 13:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ideally Santro should have been phased out, since i10 is basically a `new and improved' generation model of Santro. But in the Indian market, previous generation cars exist side by side with present generation, eg Accent/Verna, Octavia/Lola, 800/Alto.

Maybe Hyundai will keep Santro going till its sales are strong. They cannot afford to phase out a car that sells close to 15000 units per month, and accounts for perhaps 2/3rd of Hyundai's total domestic sales. Of course, they may want the i10 to ultimately replace the Santro, ideally; but then i10 would have to generate more than 15-17K units per month. So far as I can gather, i10 will take some time to sell Santro like units, and Hyundai may keep on hawking the Santro till it drops drastically to say 3-4K units per month (highly unlikely in the short term), and it becomes unprofitable to make the Santro.
Old 12th December 2007, 13:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Also when MUL is selling 2 almost identical models-Zen and Wagon R, then why not Hyundai.
Old 12th December 2007, 14:03   #5
BHPian

There is no plan as of now of Hyundai to phase out Santro (though its foreign counterpart ATOS is being replaced by i10).
Inspite of launch of i10, given that Santro is generating good numbers for Hyundai, it seems unlikely of company announcing the departure of Santro.

Regarding Comparison between Santro/i10 and Swift, these are from different segments. List down your preferwnces and budget, TD all of them and then decide.
Old 12th December 2007, 14:31   #6
BHPian

Arrow Santro will be there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Also when MUL is selling 2 almost identical models-Zen and Wagon R, then why not Hyundai.
hi

Santro is still the bread and butter of Hyudai,India. Hence it will not the phased out,atleast in the near future.And b/w swift or i10, i would prefer
i10 beacuse it has taken the quality of hatchbacks to a new level(remember santro was responsible for raising the quality of Indian hatchbacks),also none of hyundai's engine design is inferior to any other maruthi or tata or even a chevy hatchback.The only thing swift will surely have more is the power..if power is not wat you're looking for go ahead with the i10.

byee..
Old 12th December 2007, 14:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

all the reasoning is ok,but the question is if the i10 volume has to go up the production of i10 should also go up.given the circumstances in hyundai now the santro production will slowly decrease and i10 production would go up.maybe it will take another year or so for that but you are not buying the car for a year,it may be with you for more than a year .so once santro is stopped ,or lets put it this way since we all fear it may get stopped its better to go for either i10 or swift.i10 is a bit overpriced.still a good car.swift has enough credibility in its bag till date.now its your choice buddy.

ram
Old 12th December 2007, 14:57   #8
BHPian

The i10 has just been launched, while the Santro is the *only* currently successful product of Hyundai. Nope, they are not going to discontinue it anytime soon. As has been mentioned before, expect some thorough repositioning as an entry-level hatch.
Old 12th December 2007, 14:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The decision depends on your budget. If you are looking for higher end Santro vs entry level Swift & i10 then select between Santro & i10.

Between i10 & Swift, Swift offers more room bigger engine but annoying Squeaks & rattles. I10 is new fresh, better build quality(normal observation between MSIL & Hyundai cars)

Take a pick as per your preference
Old 12th December 2007, 15:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Between the Santro and i10 - choose the i10. From what I've heard Hyundai will strip the Santro down and continue to sell it as an entry-level offering. The i10 is contemporary, newer and has better interiors for not very much more money - if you compare like to like i.e. the top-end Santro with the equivalent spec i10 Magna. In comparison, the Swift Vxi with roughly the same feature set is about 70k more. But then it is a slightly larger car. If you are willing to spend over 5 lakhs then you can consider the i10 Magna-O or the Swift ZXI with ABS, airbags etc. Between these two I personally would choose the Swift for its greater width and space. Also if Im spending more money I want a car that looks the part and is perceived as a class above. The problem with the i10 is that it will always be perceived as a 3-4 lakh car even if you've spent more for extra features while the Swift is perceived as a 4-5 lakh car.
Hope this helps.
Old 12th December 2007, 15:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the top-end Santro with the equivalent spec i10 Magna. In comparison, the Swift Vxi with roughly the same feature set is about 70k more.
The price difference Between i10 Magna & Swift VXi is 23k Only in Pune.
Old 12th December 2007, 15:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Between the Santro and i10 - choose the i10. From what I've heard Hyundai will strip the Santro down and continue to sell it as an entry-level offering.
The have already reduced the quality of interiors in the newer trims GL & GLS compared to previous XL/XO trims. A sign of things to come.
Old 12th December 2007, 16:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The price difference Between i10 Magna & Swift VXi is 23k Only in Pune.
Thanks for pointing that out technocrat - I got that wrong because Autocar has on road prices which I compared with ex-showroom for the i10. In Delhi, the Santro XO costs 3.77, the i10 Magna 4.02 and the Swift Vxi 4.3 - all ex-showroom. I guess in this case its a toss up about which car and brand one likes.
Old 12th December 2007, 16:43   #14
Team-BHP Support

Santro is a reliable no nonsense, peppy and fun small car to drive. you wont regret it as your first car. It is nowhere close to being phased out, that all depends on the success of i10.

But, then moving over to i10 and Swift is purely depending on your capabilities to extend your budget. Also, I see a lot of people start with Alto as their first car

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th December 2007 at 16:44.
Old 12th December 2007, 16:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Swift all the way!!! Buddy, Swift is in B+ segment and i10 is supposed to be improved Santro, is in B segment. Plz test drive. I'm sure you will prefer Swift's enthusiastic drive. People who say Swift is more cramped than i10 haven't experienced it and are largely going by what magazines say. And also, it is a misconception that beige interiors are more better quality than black ones. Although I agree that the Getz has more space than Swift.

Regarding rattles as some people pointed out, most of the rattles were in older Swifts and most of it has been resolved. Atleast I dont find any rattles in my 8-month-old Swift.

The price difference between i10 Magna and Swift VXi (almost similar features) is about 25k.(Around 4.6 for i10 and 4.8 for Swift VXi).
Closed Thread