Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 8th January 2008, 22:24   #46
BHPian

Abhik,sorry to hear about your Ikon and its state. I have a Ikon 1.6 too,and its handling & throttle is beautiful, and I also get the feeling that though the Ikon's parts are costly,it doesn't have reliabilty at all! Whenever I feel like upgrading,the only choices that come to mind while keeping the factors of the Ikon,i.e.handling & pickup to name a few,in the petrol category only the Octavia vRS comes up and in the diesel category,a Laura.

But since you're limited in budget.I can vouch that the Palio 1.6 is a good choice,but I can't agree for converting it to CNG.

In the budget diesel option,Getz CRDi has pickup,but doesn't have that good grip while cornering,perhaps upsizing the tyres and lowering the suspension would help,but increase the budget heavily.

Sometimes we have to sacrifice things in Life.

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 22:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
gr8guzzler:-
thanks for the response but i guess you got me wrong.
*the ignition coil on the car was a local one when i bought it n so were the spark plugs and ht wires so i got them changed as i do not like anything local put in my car.
*after cng retro fitment i didnt have to change anything and the car performs better on CNG than on petrol. Its much smother, quieter, and quick to pick up revs.
*running the car on petrol would anyways be suicidal as my monthly running is approx. 2000kms and with a mileage of 7-8kmpl on petrol that too if i drive it at 50-60kmph would leave me broke and disheartened as i would rather prefer walkin than driving at 50-60kmph all the time:-D.
Reading this, I am sure you are bent on economy more than power & handling. Did someone suggest SX4 for power ? Listen to your peers, suman has done all that can be done on a 1.6 ikon. you probably bought a battered car, sell it & settle for something that suits your taste, maybe the SX4 converted to LPG (not with the current price of LPG though)

Last edited by esteem_lover : 8th January 2008 at 22:40.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 13:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

The SX4 and the swift cant match the Lancer Cedia sport or the Palio 1.6 or petrol RS in accelration..cornering..handling etc..

Both a sedate cars..the diesel swift is fun though but we need fat rubber! [205/60 R13]
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 14:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

For all those who are suggesting Cedia Sports, Skoda RS & the likes, please read below -

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
*my budget is in the range of 2.5-3lacs
Unless, of course, Abhik has "upped" the ante so to speak........
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 22:52   #50
BHPian

Well... Eh.. Is it possible to fit the Esteem's 1.3 engine into the Zen's belly?
No!! No!! This ain't !
five46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 22:56   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
Well... Eh.. Is it possible to fit the Esteem's 1.3 engine into the Zen's belly?
No!! No!! This ain't !
yes it is. infact you can even fit the balenos 1.6 into it.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 23:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
yes it is. infact you can even fit the balenos 1.6 into it.
Thanks akshay1234!

Well abhik, you've one more option then to confuse yourselves...

Looking at the woes you listed earlier, I guess repetitive wear and tear, that too of unexpected parts which is burning a hole in your pocket, was/is one of your biggest concerns. For this, the most obvious and ubiquitous solution would be 'Maruti Suzuki'.
If Zen + Esteem 1.3's engine + proper shoes sounds empty drums to you, a baleno + proper baleno shoes would be another option to you.

Last edited by five46 : 11th January 2008 at 23:12.
five46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 03:16   #53
BHPian

Thanks a ton guys for the suggestions and appreciate them all!
Well i have been going through a lot of the long term ownership threads on the Swift both DDiS and Petrol versions and found a high degree of appreciation and acceptance for the car as well as customer satisfaction and plesure of ownership is tremendous. Ofcourse it has a few short commings like interior vibes, some complained about sticky gears etc but very minor and can be easily sorted out.

So i have most definately decided upon the Swift.
Now all i want you'all to suggest is:-
*Swift DDiS or Petrol?.
*When was the petrol version launched?.
*My monthly running is 1500+kms.
*Second hand buy only. (As i want to spend money on mods.)

I guess the DDiS is too new and good for someone to sell it. So that leaves me with the petrol version i guess and i believe the current market rate is hovering around 3lacs for a VXi non ABS but i might be wrong.
So please suggest for the above queries.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 20:45   #54
BHPian

Today i spent 10k on suspensions and tyres, bad suspensions had eaten up my 3000km old tyres and the job was done cheap because i know a guy on the inside at Ford. But its an amazing car never the less i did 170kmph on cng the other day. The engine is still fine and thats the best part but i am very keen on the Swift now and to convert it to a Sports GTi once i get it. Hope for the best!!
Old 19th January 2008, 23:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

I sold my 2001 Ford Ikon 1.3exi 5days back for Rs.1Lac done about 62400kms roughly single hand used,the problem was suspension,sensor's getting blown up,Feul Pump,engine idiling(not going since 1.5years),low pick-up,engine jerking,and top speed was only about 80-85km and in recent 5months time i was getting FE 500rs fuel - 23-27kmpl,where as earlier it used to cross 94-98kmpl,my running was about 20kms up-down daily.It was a good car where i did 170+speeds many times on long Express-way stretch.

I tried every possible way to make the car alright,changed my service center still none of them could figure-out what to do,though it never ever had any kind of starting trouble,used to get start in half self.Now i am more over zeroing on the NHC CVT

Ramie

Last edited by ramie2400 : 19th January 2008 at 23:37.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 22:13   #56
BHPian

ramie2400,

Did you mean 23-24 KM or 94-98 KM in 500 rs of fuel or 23-24 km/L or 94-98km/L? Thats a lot of FE!!

NHC CVT is a beautiful upgrade because of the auto tranny!

cya
A
Old 21st January 2008, 00:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Absar i was getting 23-27km in Rs.500 fuel in my 1.3exi ikon,and that had really started bugging me,I used to get scared removing my car for any drive arounds ,so i opted for a brand new getz prime 1.3L which i am very happy now and i found a buyer for my Ikon and told him about the probs and deal done in Rs.1L

yess more over i am going for the NHC soon.. cheers...!!!
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 23:13   #58
BHPian

[quote=ramie2400;694379]I sold my 2001 Ford Ikon 1.3exi 5days back for Rs.1Lac done about 62400kms roughly single hand used,the problem was suspension,sensor's getting blown up,Fuel Pump,engine idiling(not going since 1.5years),low pick-up,engine jerking

These are the exact same problems that i am facing from time to time.
And meeting these expenses is turning out to be a mammoth task. So thats why i dont wanna keep it anymore.
Old 25th January 2008, 00:33   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Both a sedate cars..the diesel swift is fun though but we need fat rubber! [205/60 R13]
Vikram et tu?? Suggesting incorrect tyre sizes? Shame on you!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 19:15   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Absar i was getting 23-27km in Rs.500 fuel in my 1.3exi ikon,and that had really started bugging me,I used to get scared removing my car for any drive arounds ,so i opted for a brand new getz prime 1.3L which i am very happy now and i found a buyer for my Ikon and told him about the probs and deal done in Rs.1L

yess more over i am going for the NHC soon.. cheers...!!!
Whoops! That sure is a fuel guzzler! A choice of a diesel over the fuel guzzler would've definitely put the mind into a great rest! Hey wait,you got this mileage in the 1.3? I thought it was the 1.6! First time I'm hearing fuel guzzling comments about the 1.3.

Anyway, its a very good time for an auto tranny to join the garage to put the left leg at rest from clutching.

cya
A