Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 12th February 2008, 08:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttamc View Post
Hey,

so i was just reading through this post, and as a palio 1.6 owner i thought i'd clear the air a lil bit... I don't really understand why people inflate FE figures - realistically the palio has never given me more than 8.9 in the city (bombay - travel 15 mins to work - can't get above 50 kmh even if i tried). I use only indian oil xtrapremium from a quality petrol pump at breach candy (so i doubt there's adulteration).

11 in the city is unheard of!! Unless you drive 300 km on the highway n then get back to the city for the last 100 km. I usually do about 360 km before it tank up (40 litres). I'd suggest that you don't "EXPEXT" 10-11 in the city in a palio cuz if you live in bombay, you'll never get it.

Cheers!
Well. I manage to get 9.5-10km/l on my 1.6 adventure which is quite heavier than the Palio. I'm pretty sure that by driving her carefully you could get atleast 10-11 km/l in city. Well. If you choose to use all the power, then you could not be complaining about F.E
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 10:01   #17
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys!!
Very happy to see so many people coming out with their advice on this matter.

When I mean't the Esteem, I was suggesting that there is still an older stock available in some showrooms for Esteem. Even the Maruti Suzuki website shows Esteem as one of the models available. In fact there is a dedicated site for the Esteem. But wherever I have checked it seems there is a waiting period even for the old stock Esteem. Going by your feedbacks though...I am ruling out the Esteem.

Also, as asked my by someone, I can wait only until the end of this month...not beyond that since I have a kid who is a few months old & it becomes difficult to take him around on my Suzuki Fiero with my wife along
Hence, it looks like the new Swift version is not a choice for me.

Even I was hooked onto the Palio initially after hearing from it's band of loyal supporters.

From everyone's feedback, it looks like the overwhelming majority says that I go for the Palio 1.6 but I would like to know if it is more for the love of Palio I am not sure how many people own the Chevy U-VA & what they would have to say about this discussion.

The U-VA seems to be the most unknown breed with hardly anyone talking about it.

Awaiting some more expert comments before I take the call

Cheers,
Siddharth
Sidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 10:55   #18
BHPian

These days I'm getting above 10.5-11 kmpl in bangalore traffic, though only 3 signals to pass. BTW, I own, a Palio 1.6 Sports.
mahadev_kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 11:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidz View Post
The 3 cars which come close to "my kind of a car" are Stile Sport 1.6 or Chevy U-VA LS or Esteem.
Since you have zeroed in on your choice, here is an alternate view

The cars you mentioned are not "hot" in used car market. Although, I haven't seen any U-VA on road yet, so can't comment on its used price.

If I were you, I would hunt down a good used Palio 1.6/Esteem. And guess what, spend the savings on petrol
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 12:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidz View Post
Thanks a lot guys!!
Very happy to see so many people coming out with their advice on this matter.

When I mean't the Esteem, I was suggesting that there is still an older stock available in some showrooms for Esteem. Even the Maruti Suzuki website shows Esteem as one of the models available. In fact there is a dedicated site for the Esteem. But wherever I have checked it seems there is a waiting period even for the old stock Esteem. Going by your feedbacks though...I am ruling out the Esteem.

Also, as asked my by someone, I can wait only until the end of this month...not beyond that since I have a kid who is a few months old & it becomes difficult to take him around on my Suzuki Fiero with my wife along
Hence, it looks like the new Swift version is not a choice for me.

Even I was hooked onto the Palio initially after hearing from it's band of loyal supporters.

From everyone's feedback, it looks like the overwhelming majority says that I go for the Palio 1.6 but I would like to know if it is more for the love of Palio I am not sure how many people own the Chevy U-VA & what they would have to say about this discussion.

The U-VA seems to be the most unknown breed with hardly anyone talking about it.

Awaiting some more expert comments before I take the call

Cheers,
Siddharth
Well. I've had a test drive experience with the U-Va. These are the Pros and Cons with respect to Palio 1.6 according to my view
- Inside space is really BIG. The U-Va does not feel at all like a hatch when you are inside. I guess it should be called a Sedan without a Boot!!!
- F.E figures for the U-Va would be atleast 2km more in city and 3-4 km more on highways. Well this is a sure cost saving. But You also need to consider that you are paying more for the U-Va. When you would break-even on these aspects depends on how much you would run a month.
- Interiors are both average. The Palio has some beige added to its decade old console. The U-Va too is not that great.
- Performance. Well. DOnt even ask. The Palio wins hands down.
- Ride comfort. I thought both were almost the same. And good too...
- Rear seat comfort. I think U-Va had a better seating position. I felt the incline angle was just perfect for a nice nap. The head room too was pretty good while my 6 foot tall friends head touched the roof in the Palio.

Well. Thats what i said earler. If you want space its the U-va. If you want performance its nothing other than the Palio Sport.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 14:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

lo ji, here is a cross post from a chat with a friend. judge for yourself (HIS exp only) - can give you his email ID - he is a mumbaikar!

Quote:
me: UVA comments?
A: ride is good
mileage is not
its not a small car so have to be careful not to drive that way
a/c is also very nice (being in mumbai i've been able to use it even in january [grin] )
A: 1st gear is very useless
indicator column on left side is a bit of a pain
Sent at 1:09 PM on Tuesday
A: interior space is too good
though no storage options on the doors for bottles
me: mileage kitni hai?
kitne km done/?
pics?
A: i've done 750+ kms.. mileage i got was 8.5
measured it only once so far
will fill up today again to check
and as for love of palio,I'm a tata afficianado (painful a bit, but unquestionably VFM!) - we have xeta/alto in the family - not a palio owner but just a palio TDer here
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 14:06   #22
BHPian

Why not Ford Ikon...

Not that I drive one but..

Better build qlty than esteem.
Best in class responsive engine compare with nay around this segment
Neat handling...

Sapce less than U-VA but more or equal to palio/esteem
FE is also decent btw 10-12kmpl in city and +2 to4kmpl on highways..
A.S.S is decent with more ford service points thanks to Fiestas...
VC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 14:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC12 View Post
Why not Ford Ikon...
Aah...There you are. You have taken out the word I was about to pen down.

@ Sidz: Why don't you look into this. You may even look into Fiesta 1.6. May suit your requirement.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 14:42   #24
BHPian

Thats right By the way Ford is giving some cool offers/discounts on fiesta petrol and Ikon's....
VC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 15:04   #25
BHPian

Maybe you should also consider the Palio 1.3D even though your running is relatively less.
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 17:58   #26
BHPian

Thanks gemithomas & phamilyman. Your inputs have been quite helpful.

Ford recommenders - Lemme give this a try too though this may just divert my focus a bit (worried about the serivce costs of owning a Ford)!!
Old 13th February 2008, 13:44   #27
BHPian

Default Done deal !!!

Thanks a ton guys for all your valuable feedback!!!

Just booked the 1.6 Palio Sport with Pandit Auto. Expecting delivery next week!! This is a case of the heart ruling over the mind

So if you happen to be in Pune anytime & see a red beauty flashing by before you take-in your next breath.........there is a very good chance that it will be me at the wheels.

Vrrroooooooooooooommmmmmmmm!!!!
Old 13th February 2008, 16:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the elite FIAT group... Join PalioUsersIndia@yahoogroups.com
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 17:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Mant Congrats Sidz!

Enjoy driving that Red Hot hatch!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 11:30   #30
BHPian

Congrats Sidz. I am sure that you'll enjoy every bit of it!
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote