Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 11th February 2008, 16:09   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Palio Stile Sport 1.6 or Chevy U-VA LS or Esteem

Hello experts,

I have been researching for the last 1.5 months going through various forums to decide on my first car. My budget is about 4.75 lacs to 5.25 lacs.
Priorities - Good looks, average fuel economy, good head & leg room, good A.S.S. (obviously), good power with 4 people on board & a car which will not give me problems for atleast 2-3 years. I will have 60% city driving & 40% highyway driving. I will have less than 700 km driving per month.
Strict no-no - WagonR, Santro, Estillio, i10, Getz, Swift & the likes

The 3 cars which come close to "my kind of a car" are Stile Sport 1.6 or Chevy U-VA LS or Esteem.

Have listed the pros & cons of all the 3 models:
Stile Sport 1.6:
Price - 4.5 lacs with discount (on road)
Pros - The engine is an animal, refined looks, decent space inside, tubeless tyres, alloy wheels, all 4 power windows, sturdy feel
Cons - Obviously FE, A.S.S. (???), resale value (???)

Chevy U-VA 1.2 LS:
Price - 5 lacs with discount (on road)
Pros - Excellent space for my kind of family (tall people that is), good looks, good handling, no knocking at low speeds even on the 3rd gear, robust body & smart shock-absorbent bumpers.
Cons - Price Price Price (is it value for money???), A.S.S. (not sure), all the features are available in the top model which is atleast 50 k more than the LS model), FE (I am hearing conflicting reports on this, some say it is 12-13 with A/C in city others say it is 15-16 with A/C in city

Esteem:
Price - Have to get the final quote
Pros - Big car feel for a little over 5 lacs, Maruti service network, cheaper spares, all in all a good value for money car
Cons - Not as spacious as the U-VA, FE is doubtful, not sure about how safe the body is on nighways, a bit pricy when compared to the other two cars

I have test-driven the Palio 1.6 as well as the U-VA. Felt more in conrol with the U-VA. COuld be because I was not able to get to speeds higher than 70 kmph. Will be going for a test drive for the Esteem today.

I am really stuck here & finally decided to approach the experts after going through the various forums here. I guess I will have to take the final decision by this weekend.

Kindly advise !!!!

Thanks a ton,
Siddharth
Sidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 18:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

esteem is out of question as the production has stopped already.maybe you can get hold of a piece at the dealer point with a huge discount.else the car which replaces the esteem -swift dzire could be looked into.launch can be 3rd week march08.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 18:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

With Palio Stile 1.6, you can expect a FE of 10-11 kmpl in City, Service in Pune is pretty good (BU Bhandari is doing a good job there), Resale value may not be good as Maruti cars.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 19:46   #4
BHPian

Even Chevy is doing a nice job in Pune as I heard from my friend who has got a U_VA.
@Ram.He said good looking car and you are suggesting swift Desire
payam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 20:06   #5
BHPian

Hello, the Esteem is phased out. So push for heavy discounts on the Esteem, or wait for the new Dezire if you like.

The Palio 1.6 is a great car. It's a great car to drive. Plenty of power onboard and has space for 4 people without problems. Esteem, when the driver's seat is pushed back, rear legspace is limited greatly.

Fiat's After Sales Service is good, but just won't have that many branches like Maruti.

My suggestion is the Palio 1.6 Sport. You'll feel proud to drive it.

cya
A
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 20:40   #6

hey Sid,

U-VA is over priced for sure.....
Buying the Esteem now is like buying a newer model of the Amby...

Go for the Palio 1.6 and leave the crowd behind..

i can tell you that the cars handling is great and take much taller guys than me(5.6).
Our palio friends have mentioned that the BU bhandari guys are pretty decent in their ***.

I am sure that there are more no of palios than the U-VA and we can get spares easily in the long run. FIAT is here to stay.

Go for the 1.6
Nothing2looz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 21:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

What is the time you will wait for you new car? If its now, then go for Palio 1.6 for shear performance and looks. But if you can wait for couple of months, then Swift Dezire will be here. TD this also and then decide. Esteem is phased out and is replaced by Dezire.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 22:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think even if Palio offers 1-2 km less than the than the U-VA, it will still cover up for it with the low invoice cost. Plus its very powerful and more pleasurable to drive compared to the Chevy. Esteem dosent give a new car feel, its days are gone. Go for it only if you need a boot. I think the Palio will keep you happy and if you intend to keep the car for 4-5 years , resale value difference will not be that much. Also Chevy is also not among the best resale value getters.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 22:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nothing much to think.

Palio Stile Sport 1.6 if you want performance. The F.E figures would be around 10-11 in city and 15-16 on higways. I dont think this is bad for the power that it delivers.

Chevy U-Va - If you want more mileage and more space

Esteem - If you want a Boot and a Maruti at that price range.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 22:36   #10
BHPian

Hey,

so i was just reading through this post, and as a palio 1.6 owner i thought i'd clear the air a lil bit... I don't really understand why people inflate FE figures - realistically the palio has never given me more than 8.9 in the city (bombay - travel 15 mins to work - can't get above 50 kmh even if i tried). I use only indian oil xtrapremium from a quality petrol pump at breach candy (so i doubt there's adulteration).

11 in the city is unheard of!! Unless you drive 300 km on the highway n then get back to the city for the last 100 km. I usually do about 360 km before it tank up (40 litres). I'd suggest that you don't "EXPEXT" 10-11 in the city in a palio cuz if you live in bombay, you'll never get it.

Now the pros of the car - man... where do i start!! Take it to 2500 rpm, then step on the gas... and all of a sudden you know what people mean when they say hot hatch! The body is a solid as a damn tank! I've driven a honda city ZXI vtec on the expressway at 180 kmh and the same for the palio (got a picture of the speedo as well ) the palio is FAR safer - hugs the ground and makes you feel completely in control (of course makes you wish you had ABS as well).

If you consider a palio 1.6 please KNOW that you are NOT making a PRACTICAL decision - cuz honestly the car ISNT one - a maruti makes far more sense (i dunno about GM though). This car is one thats bought PURELY for the driving pleasure. If you're young, and you're not gonna have a chauffer take you around town then rest assured you'll be driving a rally wherever you go. If you're slightly grown up and rpm's dont get your adrenalin pumping... and you're more of the chilled out driver who wants to just get home after a long day - a maruti it is!! (Again, i would suggesting upping your budget n getting some other car rather than an esteem - purely because it's old - don't get me wrong, its still a fantastic car!)

How about checking out a few used cars? A used honda city ZXI may be just what you want! It's practical / fuel efficient / got that status image and also if you get a vtec, its got power as well!

Good luck on your decision.

Cheers!
uttamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 22:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking

First up, the esteem is OUT. Its phased out and GONE. No point taking a phased out model unless you're a short of money student.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidz View Post
Stile Sport 1.6:
Price - 4.5 lacs with discount (on road)
Pros - The engine is an animal, refined looks, decent space inside, tubeless tyres, alloy wheels, all 4 power windows, sturdy feel
Cons - Obviously FE, A.S.S. (???), resale value (???)

Chevy U-VA 1.2 LS:
Price - 5 lacs with discount (on road)
Pros - Excellent space for my kind of family (tall people that is), good looks, good handling, no knocking at low speeds even on the 3rd gear, robust body & smart shock-absorbent bumpers.
Cons - Price Price Price (is it value for money???), A.S.S. (not sure), all the features are available in the top model which is atleast 50 k more than the LS model), FE (I am hearing conflicting reports on this, some say it is 12-13 with A/C in city others
Among these two, I'd say the Palio simply because:
a. At your running, ANNUAL petrol cost is just 9000 bucks extra. The miles will be ALL SMILES, though
b. For such less driving, the palio makes each moment joyful.
c. Feature loaded.
d. *** should hopefully be decent in Pune. That can be the deal breaker, but should not be an issue in pune.
e. Resale is important if you'll let go in 3 odd years. That is something you could figure from your local market - I can't comment.

But in something as personal/involved as a car where one spends lakhs, losing about 20-30k in resale over three years pales in front of getting a really nice car for that money (everything else is significantly more expensive - put that money into a sinking fund or a mutual fund towards your future resale losses )
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 23:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

uttam, most of the Palio 1.6 owners at Palio Users Group are getting around 10-11 kmpl in City, even Gemithomas has a 1.6 Adventure & he gets the same.
Maybe you are driving with a heavy foot, also your daily travel of 15 mins is quite short to extract a better FE.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 23:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its a no brainer, the Palio Stile 1.6, the Chevy UVA cant hold a candle to the Palio 1.6 as far as sheer driving thrill is concerned. Space wise the UVA is good but overall i would pick the Palio 1.6 anyday.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 23:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, if you dont mind a tata product please check indigo CS. The topend petrol suits your budget very well. I think its the most VFM product in that price range.

Also there is a thread going on that tata is offering ABS and airbags at some nominal costs. What else do you need.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 23:41   #15
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Uttam you have to check a few things in your car.

Dear Uttam,
I have been using the Palio GTX for 4 1/2 years and more and in the beginning when I was using Petrol I used to get 9.8 at the very least with A/C on in bumper to bumper traffic of Cochin. On the highway with a heavy right foot I used to get a minimum of 14. With LPG which I have been using for the past 3 1/2 years I get 9 at the very minimum in the city drives. On long trips on the highway with LPG I regularly get 12 and above in race mode all the time.

I suggest you check your Oxygen sensor/Lambda sensor for a LAG IN RESPONSE. After this check your front and rear wheel alignment. I did not type wrong, you have to check your rear wheel alignment too along with free wheel rotation of all the wheels. Tyre pressure and fresh fluids will help too in good fuel efficiency.
Its very difficult to get less than 9.5 in the GTX however and where ever you drive it in a sane manner if the mechanicals/electricals are in shape.

Bye and wear your seat belts.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote