Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2008, 09:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
get the santro for the refined engine and the gear box!
also they have better service center technitians in comparision and is more organised than a maruti, maruti is learning from them lately!

santro has better finish, better engine, and better stability than a wagonR imo!
OMG! well that statement is damaging indeed shouldnot have said the technitians, i meant more organised, well the whole experience is from 5 years back but now when i got my swift serviced they seemed to have organized better bad boy rider do you deserve the bashes!
Old 16th February 2008, 10:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
When did i say, Suzuki's engine is not better than Hyundai?...nor did i question anybody's engine gyaan. In fact you went and claimed it's better. why??
Where did I claim? cheers:
Old 19th February 2008, 06:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Where did I claim? cheers:
As far as Engine and stability is concerned, do you have that much knowledge to compare it? Pls dont confuse the buyer by saying such biased opinions...

Here ya go Bud!!
It's between the lines!!
Old 19th February 2008, 15:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

If Santro vs. WagonR - only on comfort/space, then I would choose WagonR anyday !
Old 19th February 2008, 17:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
As far as Engine and stability is concerned, do you have that much knowledge to compare it? Pls dont confuse the buyer by saying such biased opinions...

Here ya go Bud!!
It's between the lines!!
Hey, there is nothing between lines and neither I am confusing the buyer...Buyer got what I am saying....
If you like reading between lines, better send PM and clarify...

lets not drift OT

Abhi
Old 19th February 2008, 18:05   #51
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari View Post
Ha ha ha! Hyundai has better service than Maruti. Do you work in Hyundai?? If yes then it's Ok otherwise please don't lead him into the garden path. Hyundai might just be better than Tata, though not sure.

And I am talking form first hand experience. Have owned both and Maruti & Hyundai are not comparable on the service. I have had a bad experience with Hyundai.

No one's talked about resale value and fuel efficiency. WagonR will get you atleast 15% more after 3-4 Years. Fuel efficiency again - WagonR wins hand down.

Think about it. I say put your money on the WagonR.
I had bad experiences with both maruti and hyundai.

For my 800, Maruti guys told me that the gear box will need to be opened at the time of service when nothing was wrong with it. A stern no, a glare and they backed off.

Hyundai guys wanted to change the brake drum when only brake pads had worn out. Stern no and they fell in line. Also they never wash the car after service. Also they will change stuff like bulbs, wipers without asking @ time of service. so am pissed off at them as well.

Resale value - its same for both. might be a bit more for maruti in areas where hyundai network is a bit thin.

FE - same for both. there will be individual variations based on driving conditions, car condition and driving styles.

WagonR has a small problem with a slight hump in rear seat which may make it difficult to seat 3rd person. But thats a small difference. Both WR and Santro are not good highway cars. They will both give backaches to the passengers after 200-300 kms.

There is not much to choose between the 2. I would pick the one based on faster availability, discounts, better colors, whatever parents/wife/gf/kids like.
Old 19th February 2008, 18:22   #52
BANNED

Nobody has tried this in a Santro http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-delight.html (TRAVEL: How the WagonR took 7 people up the hills... And still managed to delight!!!)
Old 24th February 2008, 05:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

well i guess no one posted it here till date,

anyway i further see no point in this endless debate, so guys please buy which ever you guys like wagonR or santro (no doubt both are good cars) based on the
1.availability of good service stations around(i had my share with maruti and hyundai and other had a different story to tell so it depends),
2.resale values in your towns and,
3.of course the personal preference come first! do test drive them before you make your kill!

Last edited by rider60 : 24th February 2008 at 05:48.
Old 24th February 2008, 09:20   #54
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
i will also second santro. 4 yrs running and not a single dime spent on repairs.
excellent driving position
excellent torque - on delhi streets i often leave everyone around
ride for rear passengers is a bit bumpy.
very stable till 90-100 kph
I don't know much about Wagon R, but I can confirm all of the above. My old Santro has a really superb engine, which I flog to 140+ speeds every week on the Pune-Mumbai route. Done close to 70000 kms so far and no signs of any engine trouble. Very reliable and rugged car. Regarding stability, note that Santro has wider stock tyres (unless you are loooking at the high-end Wagon R), a superbly accurate power steering, and the stiff rear suspension helps in stable cornering at high speeds. With the correct alloys/good stock-size tubeless tyres fitted and proper wheel balancing/alignment, the car is rock-steady and stable at 140+ speeds, and the braking has improved by leaps and bounds (the Xing's braking is even better).

I am really happy that my Santro does not complain with the use of Speed 97, which does improve the low-end acceleration of the car up to about 120 kmph or so. And I am not bothered about the ride quality on rough roads; I am only interested in peformance and reliability, and I have jacked up my tyre pressures to 35 psi for highway (and city) fun. Higher tyre pressures are recommended for sustained high-speed driving.

Regarding the question by the original poster, my vote is for Santro on the highway. For city use, depends on your priorities. Wagon R could possibly win on the criteria of space and/or ride comfort. But as pointed out by others, do take a look at i10.

Last edited by rks : 24th February 2008 at 09:25.
Old 24th February 2008, 09:28   #55
BANNED

just go for santro dude...its very much fun to drive then wagon r ,you can easily zip through the traffic ....
Old 24th February 2008, 09:56   #56
BHPian

GO FOR SANTRO DUDE....
though wagon'R is a fun to drive car....Wagon R's rear seat comfort and gear shifting is like hell...

About santro, although its rear seat ride is a bit peppy..but still you can go for it.

But still it depends on person to person. I would recomemd to TD both the cars and go for the one you like.. all da best.
Old 24th February 2008, 12:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidMARKS View Post
a reclining rear seat is no more buddy. but, if there is one, the ply for the speaker will take up the space and no reclining is possible.
cheers
Oh, that was a good feature, and they should have retained it. As regards speakers, yes, you are correct. I was the first guy to bother Maurti guys on where I should place the rear speakers---they admitted this in their response. They took a week to analyze and responded stating that I could fix those on the inside of the boot door.
I liked the reclining rear seats because I owned a 800 prior to that, and when returning late night to my quarter (30 kms from Vizag city), both my kids used to fight for sleeping on the rear seat. The WagonR brought us peace of mind.
Old 25th February 2008, 16:39   #58
BHPian

WagonR cons
-Plasticky feel- loose and vibrating plastic parts
-Litle too soft suspension for broken roads (state highways especially in Karnataka-because of soft suspension- sadly I feel it's a trade-off :-( which we need to live with)
-Gear shift not as good as Santro's but it is like any other car (Santro has got one of the best)

WagonR pros

-Super light steering for city drive and rightly gets adjusted for high speed highway driving
-Ride is less bumpy
-Good visibility esp. while reversing ;-)
-Pretty good torque spread out. Can drive non stop with out any fatigue. Even my Dad doesn't complain even if he drives for more than 7-8 hours in a day.
-Nicely spread out gear ratios- just one drop in gear is more than enough while negotiating steep up (to overtake) with ac on full blast and 4 people and boot full of luggage.
-Oh yes.. spacious boot compared others
-and looks..? yes I like it a lot. It has some kind of character to it and not many people like it. it has macho kind of look. Though I liked the earlier version of Wagon R with side number plate more.
-It is stable at high speeds as well. The reason I am mentioning it is even I had doubts about it considerig the car's(?) height. Though the stability at very high speeds (read above 100 kmph) has lot to do with road conditions.
-and do you call it a car.? I don't feel like.. It is something more. :-)

Even we did all the reviewing, readin, TDg everything and at last it was Wagon R that was best for us. And it is a complete family car. We were considering Alto, Santro, WagonR, Spark.
Despite reading many things about wagonR's many short comings we decided on it because most of them were either too trivial or we could do without them (features) after TD (many times ;-) on both old and new vehicles).

and.. ok now'll stop it here:-) any wagon R users out there do you have anything to add to the above lists?
Old 25th February 2008, 18:49   #59
BHPian

Thanks all so much for ur replies..

I guess the debate between santro/wagonr is going to be never-ending, till the companies continue to manufacture them For me, i have TD both the cars, have taken the the opinion of folks at home (Estillo knocked out straightway, even though it wasnt in active consideration, on looks alone) ..and have decided on .................................................. ........

WagonR

Guess the deciding factor was the "feel" - WagonR feels more roomy, airy, comfortable and spacious...even though I think Santro is slightly more fun to drive, from whatever little driving I have done..

Have visited a couple of dealers...and should be booking one soon..

Thanks again..
Neeraj
Old 25th February 2008, 19:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for letting us know your choice.
Do try and post a review as and when you get the car delivered.

Thread closed.

Last edited by DCEite : 25th February 2008 at 19:16.
Closed Thread