price 1 to 1.40 lakhs
Fuel economy doesn't matter
Most of the time i will be driving alone
Which car do you recommend ???
Thanks for helping me out
akkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 10:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

IF you are okay with low power 800 CC engines then you can find a 2004 Alto or Zen and put good ICE in this range.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 11:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkii View Post
hey peeps
I am 17 years old and i am planning to buy used car in next 5 months
price 1 to 1.40 lakhs
hey akki..
what are the major aspects ur looking for in the car if FE is not a consideration...?

in that price range u can get quite a lot of options like,( entire A,B segment ) as well as some old esteems, ikons

since u drive alone and assuming u dont want the big car image, then an used ZEN ( old model ) would be a good bet..
it has the image of a cheap performance car and does live up to it in its own way...
am not sure which city ur from so depending on where u live the model year available at that price may differ
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 17:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Alto would be a good option,even old zen is a good option.Try to get a 1.1 alto for the fun to ride factor.try to get a model which is not more than 5 years old.Other wise maitenence could be an issue.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 19:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

I presume you are a student. Hence you would have least total cost of Ownership as the top priority. Choose a car that will have -

1. Good FE
2. Low maintenance
3. Long lasting (At least for next 4 years) - So that you can change the car once you start earning.

You seem to be in US so go for any Japanese Car that has run less than 90K miles. Manual shift will be cheaper.

PS - Your profile shows you are 1970 born and 38 years old. is that a typo or are you just kidding here.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 20:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Akki, Try the Old Zen. I recently sold me old zen. If you had told me earlier i would have offered it to you!
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 20:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey peeps
I am 17 years old and i am planning to buy used car in next 5 months
price 1 to 1.40 lakhs
Totally confused.

Are you in India or in other country? Your age in profile is 38 yrs and your age as said above is 17 years. Are you studying? If you are in India here are the choices-Used Zen/M800/Alto/Ikon/Esteem. Pick any of these.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 21:02   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A car within 1.5 lacs to drive to college? Throw practicality out of the window and get yourself a Gypsy, look ultra cool and go for nice long drives with beautiful women. On the weekends, you must try your hand at off-roading.

You could also get a nice Jeep in that price band too, but it won't be as trouble-free / easy to maintain as the Gypsy. Search around the forums, you will see lots of tips on buying Gypsies and Jeeps.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 23:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Totally confused.

Are you in India or in other country? Your age in profile is 38 yrs and your age as said above is 17 years. Are you studying? If you are in India here are the choices-Used Zen/M800/Alto/Ikon/Esteem. Pick any of these.
profile also says u own an M5..
Is that BMW M5 or some other model called M5 ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 23:33   #10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Smile

Well i am not 38 years old i am 17 years old this is my real age !! currently i a in US but i will be coming back to India in 4 months
I dont like zen and 800
i think i will go for alto does any of u guys know how much would a used 2005 alto will cost?
Old 3rd March 2008, 00:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

A used Zen fits the bill. But am not sure if you can get the MPFI. I assume since you are not bothered about FE, you want good peformance. 800/Alto don't come under that category.

Also, as GTO suggested, a Gypsy is a good vehicle if you are looking at an SUV.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 00:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

1.gypsy should take some time to restore depending on the availability of parts!
2.M800 the classic all metal body and bumpers would need a max 15 days approx to restore.
3.contessa should be good and will need a max months time to restore!
4.if new wait for the nano!
5.many small maruti cars used ones should be good in this budget.

all these cars come in your budget to buy and to restore, now its for you to decide wha.t to do with the money and see if you can source then and find time to do what is needed.

EDIT: i doubt if you will find a decent zen these days in that budget as there is a lot of demand for the old zen, so the maruti's 800 and alto will alone will be available in that budget, because you need to buy and restore the car in that budget!

Last edited by rider60 : 3rd March 2008 at 00:38.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 01:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Have seen used four year old 1.6 Sienas for sale at 1.4L. If maintenance, FE is not under consideration.. this is the most powerful car you'll get in this budget.
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 01:29   #14
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i do have a m5 but its my dad's well thanks alot guys of ur ideas but i have question u guys recommended me gypsy are u guys kidding or are serious ?? because that car is old fashion and ugly and i will go for alto since i am just looking for good looking car performence doesnt matter i dont care about anything except the car should be good looking
Old 3rd March 2008, 08:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
i do have a m5 but its my dad's well thanks alot guys of ur ideas but i have question u guys recommended me gypsy are u guys kidding or are serious ?? because that car is old fashion and ugly and i will go for alto since i am just looking for good looking car performence doesnt matter i dont care about anything except the car should be good looking
Well Dude, I respect your decision of going for a good looking car, but I would suggest please don't disrespect the gypsy. Its how you mod the car, I have seen gypsys which have put some serious offroaders to shame. To top it all, they are really good offroaders.
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote