Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 19th September 2011, 21:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is a FIAT worth it ? With regard to the after sales service and customer care

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Not more than 2 lakhs IMO. The market is averse to Fiat in general, and 90 hp punto wont find many takers among the enthusiasts either, who would generally pay a premium for decent power.

Take this from an ex Palio 1.6 owner.
The palio was a petrol right ? If you sold it anytime now when the disparity between petrol and diesel is huge, even i wouldn't be surprised with the resale.

But despite the 90hp of the Punto being a diesel will it still lose approx 6lakhs in 5 years?
Old 19th September 2011, 21:22   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Is a FIAT worth it ? With regard to the after sales service and customer care

Quote:
Not more than 2 lakhs IMO. The market is averse to Fiat in general, and 90 hp punto wont find many takers among the enthusiasts either, who would generally pay a premium for decent power.

Take this from an ex Palio 1.6 owner.
Incredible.... there just no comparison between the resale value of a 1.6 Palio and the Punto 90 HP which was known to be a guzzler and hence would not find any takers in the used market. The logic is very simple. Majority of the buyers in the used cars market don't have money for a new car which is why are in the used cars market. They wouldn't pay for a car known to be a guzzler right?

Speaking of resale value, just have a look at the prices i20 Petrol's command in the used car market and compare that to the diesel. Or for that matter look at the resale value of any Hyundai petrol except Santro or i10.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:29   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Incredible.... there just no comparison between the resale value of a 1.6 Palio and the Punto 90 HP which was known to be a guzzler and hence would not find any takers in the used market. The logic is very simple. Majority of the buyers in the used cars market don't have money for a new car which is why are in the used cars market. They wouldn't pay for a car known to be a guzzler right?

Speaking of resale value, just have a look at the prices i20 Petrol's command in the used car market and compare that to the diesel. Or for that matter look at the resale value of any Hyundai petrol except Santro or i10.
Why dont you ask someone who has recently sold a 1.3 MJD ? I agree that you will always get more resale for a diesel wrt to a petrol, but bear in mind that a Fiat Punto will always get at least a lakh or more lower in resale compared to Swift.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:52   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Why dont you ask someone who has recently sold a 1.3 MJD ? I agree that you will always get more resale for a diesel wrt to a petrol, but bear in mind that a Fiat Punto will always get at least a lakh or more lower in resale compared to Swift.
A lakh difference really where did that come from ?

Why dont o check carwale for approximate value of similar condition LDI swift and punto active 1.3 before making such gallant comments .
Old 20th September 2011, 12:01   #65
BHPian

Evidently, you need to visit the used car market soon

Carwale does not give accurate quotation for Fiat....lack of demand spirals into lowball offers from all used car dealers.

Even if you consider it sacrosanct, here are the prices for Fiat Palio MJD SDX vs Swift Vdi , for Gurgaon

2008 mar mjd sdx, 90k km - 1.74 lakhs (condition : fair)
2008 mar swift vdi, 90k km - 2.54 lakhs (condition : fair)

I rest my case...
Old 20th September 2011, 12:50   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Evidently, you need to visit the used car market soon

Carwale does not give accurate quotation for Fiat....lack of demand spirals into lowball offers from all used car dealers.

Even if you consider it sacrosanct, here are the prices for Fiat Palio MJD SDX vs Swift Vdi , for Gurgaon

2008 mar mjd sdx, 90k km - 1.74 lakhs (condition : fair)
2008 mar swift vdi, 90k km - 2.54 lakhs (condition : fair)

I rest my case...
Eh.... you can't! Wasnt the discussion about Punto Vs Swift? Where did Palio came in between?

On second thoughts, didn't you paid less when you bought the Palio? The money you saved buying Palio makes up for the loss in resale.
Old 20th September 2011, 13:20   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Eh.... you can't! Wasnt the discussion about Punto Vs Swift? Where did Palio came in between?

On second thoughts, didn't you paid less when you bought the Palio? The money you saved buying Palio makes up for the loss in resale.
Punto was not present before 2009..so current fair value will not reflect the drastic depreciation you can expect on a 5 yr old Fiat.

As the prospective customer is a Team-bhp member, it is purely an effort on my behalf to explain the cons of Fiat resale - which I really doubt Akhilesh has experienced firsthand.

Having said that, if a lakh here or there is not an issue, would I buy Fiat ? Hell, yes !! But only the T-jet !
Old 20th September 2011, 13:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to keep the car for 5+ years, it makes sense to buy Fiat, especially Diesel, as they are reasonably sturdy and spares are easily available today. Anyway after 7-10 years there is a minor difference in the reasale values, wrt the initial costs.

In today's scenario I would not advocate Petrol. There are many better options for Petrol cars, which retain their value in the second hand market. That said, you can always calculate the total cost of ownership of the Fiat for 5, 7 & 10 years, incorporating
. Purchase price
. Annual Insurance
. Fuel costs
. Service costs
. Reasonable estimate of parts required with labour
. Resale

You may be surprised by the results.
Old 20th September 2011, 13:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

The discussion in this thread to check the resale value or about the Fiat Service?
To be back on topic and to put it again, I am more happy with Fiat service than that of Hyundai's.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

@Jish D: I understand that you are an ex-Palio 1.6 owner. Do you have any idea how much a well maintained 1.6 Palio is going for today?

And as regards to the 5 year old 90HP Punto which you said will fetch only 2 lacs, I would be really interested to know what calculation did you employ to arrive at the figure. Do you have any specimens in the market which you have looked at or compared before arriving at such a rounded amount. Or is it just your gut-feel bereft of any reasoning.

P.S: If someone doing only 10K Kms a year is buying a diesel, I think they are doing a big mistake. A typical 5 year old diesel will have close to 70-80K on the clock.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:43   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
A lakh difference really where did that come from ?

Why dont o check carwale for approximate value of similar condition LDI swift and punto active 1.3 before making such gallant comments .
Quote:

Terribly OT:

I bought my Punto Active MJD in August 2009, sold it for 4Lakhs last month after driving it close to 50,000km. My car was completely stock - no central locking, no seat covers, and the tyres were almost dead. The car was in excellent condition though.

I sold it to a dealer and the deal got over in less than 10mins. I was more than happy for the price I got. Almost everyone is aware of what a Fiat is made of, and diesel Fiats command a good resale value if not great.
CliffHanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 18:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

First of all, sorry to have deviated from the thread topic but seeing the interest in Fiat's i didn't feel a new thread was required.

Regarding the resale value i contacted a few used car dealers and was told that fiat diesels hold thier value well. It is only when compared with the Suzuki swift 1.3 MJD will you feel that you have lost more, which to many prospective Fiat and current owners is a known fact. The reason behind posting this question is with all the Fiat bashing going on in the forum i thought resale would almost be scrap value type.

Thanks to all members who shared their experiences. Will book my car asap and hope i get one before september ends

Cheers!

@milecruncher: The difference between the petrol and diesel i am considering is about 60k, with the rising disparity in petrol and diesel prices i feel a diesel makes sense. Plus i love diesel engines as all the torque is available much lower i the rpm range. In city traffic i can't revv beyond 3k rpm is what i've discovered.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 20th September 2011 at 18:35.
Old 17th October 2011, 19:43   #73
BHPian

You know there is a good market for palio 1.6. Many enthusiast are willing to shell 1.7l if the condition of the car is good.
Old 18th October 2011, 17:53   #74
BHPian

Six yrs back I was in love with Palio but chose to go by brain rather than heart and bought Getz which has given me complete satisfaction in the last 6 yrs.
Now again I want to go for either Punto EP or linea emotion but not able to come to final decision even after 2-3 months of deciding to replace my petrol Getz.Every time I almost take a final decision, question I ask myself is "Is it worth it?"
Old 20th October 2011, 21:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

A question to the seniors/experts here:

I was discussing with one of my friends about my decision of buying the Punto 90HP, he is not really a fan of the car, and so without even driving it mentioned it being underpowered, cramped etc. after i told him about my TD experience he had no complains.

However, he raised one question. According to him Fiat has NEVER serviced its own cars. They always have an alliance with Tata(present) or TVS(previously) and so the only achilles heel of service continues to remain till date in a few areas.

Is it true ? Has Fiat never serviced its own cars in a Fiat ONLY service station ?
Despite knowing that service is the only issue most owners complain of why hasn't Fiat taken steps to solve this problem ?
Closed Thread