Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread
Old 13th March 2008, 18:50   #31
Default add another car

with the fuel price going up like this and the price of crude up to 109dollars i think u should add some fuel efficent cars . there are fiat 1.3 multijet and swift ldi. choice according to ur preference .both are nippy and the spare will not be a problem cos 1.3 engine will be in lot of cars . maybe gm also launcha car with 1.3 cos they also have stake in the same engine
Old 13th March 2008, 19:45   #32

yeah, I'm watching the thread and looks like its kind of narrowing down to Getz 1.3 or Palio 1.3MJD. I visited the Hyundai showroom today to pickup my friends vehicle and the Getz prime there was striking in its looks but the interiors isn't much to write about with that odd looking wooden console. But pricewise it is expensive compared to others - OTR of GLS1.3 is 5,48,000 at Advaith and they claim a FE of 18kmpl in city, close to what the Palio1.3MJD would give if I am not wrong.
Old 14th March 2008, 09:18   #33

Palio is a very good car but I have seen my friend suffer with A.s.s. He bumped on to something - damaged his bumper - had to wait for a month to get it replaced/ repaired.
Now with Tata - it may be better - please check with current Fiat owners before you decide.
General perception is Hyundai is better than Fiat in A.S.S currently.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:02   #34
Default Wagon R VXi or Spark 1.0 LT?

Hi guys,

My budget is Rs. 4.5 lakhs (OR price). This will be my first ever car with no prior driving experience.

Most important features
  1. Power Steering
  2. Power windows (front and back. If the recommended model doesn't have back power windows, they should be fittable separately)
  3. Fuel Efficiency
  4. Less expensive spare parts and fewer service/maintenance costs
  5. Easy handling and gear-changing (Me and wife are both new drivers. In fact I haven't even started going to a driving school, the only ever car I drove was an automatic one when I was in US)
  6. Decently spaced and not too cramped to comfort
Good to have features
  • Remote (key less)
  • Luggage storage space in the trunk
  • ABS
  • Central locking
Features we don't care for
  • Looks
  • Defoggers
Few Related Notes & Usage Pattern
  • Size of family: 2 adults (incl. the driver) + 1 kid. Max. height of the driver = 5'10"
  • Usage: In Bangalore city only. Mostly bad roads filled with pot holes and bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go traffic
  • KMs per month: 600 (i.e., 20 KM per day)
  • Longevity of use: 4+ years
I've browsed some forum posts here and these seem to be good:

Wagon R VXi, Chevrolet Spark LT 1.0.

Kindly let me know the best choice for me among these or otherwise.

From what I inquired, these are the OR prices:

Wagon R VXi (w/o ABS and Airbags) = Rs. 4,12,514
Chevrolet Spark 1.0 LT (w/o the option pack) = Rs. 4,07,000

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th March 2008, 18:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

@srikat - It is not clear if you have prior driving experience. You have US driving license? In case you are experienced with ATs, (1) I think santro has an AT. (2) You can get used to manual shifts in may be 10 days of driving (may be 2-3 km per day) early morning.

If an absolutely newbie driver, and if a.s.s. and service costs are most important I suggest WagonR. Easier on pocket to fix dents.

My impression is that chevy spares will not be available outside the dealer network.
Old 14th March 2008, 19:23   #36
Team-BHP Support

Another What Car thread on the same 4.5L to 5L bracket???! I think we are being too lazy here now in not using the search feature guys. The board is awashed with threads on this theme and there is no point in every second person opening a thread on the very same topic.

Members are suggested to use the existing old threads on similar topics to do all their research. This thread is being closed with immediate effect.
Closed Thread