Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 22nd May 2012, 12:47   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car within 4.5Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
Ummmm... Are you the owner? In which case, your experiences with the Nano in terms of mileage, service etc would be much appreciated. I was considering the Nano LX (since its got all the conveniences except the stereo which I will have to put in myself).
Well, technically my wife is the Nano owner. But I have put up the experiences on my ownership thread. feel free to ask any other question you might have.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...l-jazz-10.html (Nano and all that Jazz)
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:15   #122
BHPian

Wink Re: Car within 4.5Lakh

Pho3nix,
In your search for the ideal machine, you will likely meet with the prolific "If-Only-the car-had-..." wall!
As I've found out in my search, the truth is, there is no 'perfect' car. Just like there's no perfect wife!

Find one that meets 90% of your needs, and put up with the remaining 10%...that's the only way.
Good luck! (I need it as bad!)
CowlFlap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:54   #123
BHPian

Hi Pho3nix,
Check with the True Value if they have an Estilo with the K10 engine.Its a true VFM option if the poor resale value does not bother you.It has all the positives of the Alto K10 with the advantage of superior space.
GLAD73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:36   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hey Pho3nix,

Regarding Nano's reliability factor.. check this thread and you might find the answer. YetiBlog® - The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi! (YetiBlog® - The Yeti®, Normally_Crazy and The Tata Nano drive to Delhi!)

Best,
R-Six
R-Six : Thanks for the heads up mate Yes I had seen that thread a while ago. The JBL Nano and the joy ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Well, technically my wife is the Nano owner. But I have put up the experiences on my ownership thread. feel free to ask any other question you might have.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...l-jazz-10.html (Nano and all that Jazz)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
Pho3nix,
In your search for the ideal machine, you will likely meet with the prolific "If-Only-the car-had-..." wall!
As I've found out in my search, the truth is, there is no 'perfect' car. Just like there's no perfect wife!

Find one that meets 90% of your needs, and put up with the remaining 10%...that's the only way.
Good luck! (I need it as bad!)
Indeed is so true! Unfortunately the 80% joy will have to do... Will check out the K10 once again and see

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLAD73 View Post
Hi Pho3nix,
Check with the True Value if they have an Estilo with the K10 engine.Its a true VFM option if the poor resale value does not bother you.It has all the positives of the Alto K10 with the advantage of superior space.
OK... Did Estilo ever come without a K series engine??? I was always under the impression that it went through plastic surgery and nothing much else...
Pho3nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:13   #125
BHPian

Quote:
My budget in this case is a max of about 3.5 lakhs on road (+/- 10%) and I need comfort + good mileage. The engine and driveability are more important to me than the looks.

Following are the shortlists :

- Alto 800
- Alto K10
- Chevy Spark
- Tata Nano
- Hyundai Eon
- Chevy Beat

help me with your opinions on a good first car under 3.5 lakhs.
I know this may seem odd, but did you consider a NEW Santro by any chance? It may not have a new/fresh look to it, but the Santro could fit within your budget and is a no-nonsense practical hatch which has many of the features that you have listed in other cars. To include your positives of other cars, the Santro has (in bold):

Alto K10 :
Positives
- Peppy engine
- Light pickup
- Decent looks
- Average AC (enough by my standards)
- Good mileage (based on TBhp reviews

Chevy Spark
Positives
- Silent engine
- Good looks
- Nice music system on LT (I don't require class topping music systems)
- Decent legroom for driver and comfortable seats

Chevy Beat
Positives
- Fantastic pickup
- Truckloads of space
- Light PS and good AC

Hyundai Eon
Positives
- Silent engine
- Good AC
- Easy driveability
- Lot of space

Tata Nano
Positives
- Very easy to ride
- Decent pickup
- Decent AC
- Good mileage
- Very light on pocket in budget terms
- Miles of legroom

In addition, the Santro has the largest boot from the cars that you have shortlisted, it has great driver's view, allows easy ingress and egress and is one of the few small hatches that still retains a 4-cylinder engine. A truly tried and tested car in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If you want slightly more spacious and spruced up interiors and are ready to spend 50k more, I would seriously recommend the i10 iRDE. You can look at the D-Lite+ model. Also if you plan to do significant highway runs, then i10 should be more comfortable for you.
I don't think that the i10 has a D-Lite+ model. I thought that this variant was restricted to the Eon.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:16   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I don't think that the i10 has a D-Lite+ model. I thought that this variant was restricted to the Eon.
I remember reading recently, after Eon was launched, a series of optional variants were launched for the i10 also. May be I am wrong.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 09:56   #127
Senior - BHPian

If you do not need a large boot and want peppy engine, then Alto K10 is the best bet.

Regarding the AC, the K10 has the best cooling and most power with AC on, compared to the competition. All it lacks is the low end torque, but then it has a high revving engine, so you can happily rev it with practically no penalty.

As the front seats can slide a lot, this is one of the most comfortable cars for two persons.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 19:45   #128

Thanks for all the assistance from everyone here....

Owing to my budget constraints, and also to the stupidity of the Chevy dealers I have finally booked my Alto K10 Lxi in Firebrick Red colour (where I might have bought a Beat PS instead)...

Now comes the tick tock until the loan is approved and I get the car in hand...

Thanks again everyone...
Old 28th May 2012, 07:45   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the assistance from everyone here....

Owing to my budget constraints, and also to the stupidity of the Chevy dealers I have finally booked my Alto K10 Lxi in Firebrick Red colour (where I might have bought a Beat PS instead)...

Now comes the tick tock until the loan is approved and I get the car in hand...

Thanks again everyone...
Hi Pho3nix,
Congrats!
I think you made a good choice. Let us know (with pics)when your car arrives.

As regards the Chevy dealers, what happened?
CowlFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 21:02   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
Hi Pho3nix,
Congrats!
I think you made a good choice. Let us know (with pics)when your car arrives.

As regards the Chevy dealers, what happened?

Well, I went to Chevy and told them and Rs.X is the only amount I can afford as downpayment. They looked at all possible discounts that they could give (including knocking off the 3 year service plan) and made it suit my budget. This was a quote from financier A. I go two days later and confirm that yes, this is the final quote.

I go on the day to book it and financier A is busy. So financier B comes and gives me a fresh quote. I told him, this is not what I was promised. He said, "Sir! This is not possible" I got them to discuss it amongst themselves in front of me. At first they had a tussle. And finally I was told that the original quote (which was in my favor) was not acceptable. I told them that its either that as promised or you lose a customer. They had absolutely no answer. I said thank you, gathered my docs and walked out while they were left at a loss for words...

I do not deal with people who cannot iron out something as important as finance. Add to that, Chevy has poor service compared to even Tata, so I was already thinking of throwing myself into a deep well and taking a risk. The last thing I wanted was the only definitive to look shady.

I went to Maruti. They looked at the quote that was given. They said we will stand by it. Cheque signed, papers provided, Signed off.

And Maruti I at least managed to get a quote for 2 separate dealers and they were matched for most terms (difference of a couple of hundred bucks).

I went today to collect the receipt as required. And they had the customer copy of my docket ready for my perusal. I told them I will collect it tomorrow when I had my bag and to keep it. Job done, all fixed. Now that's customer service!
Old 29th May 2012, 09:23   #131
Senior - BHPian

How much more is the Vxi?

With the addons especially the Tachometer, Vxi is worth the extra money. The rest of the extras you can add on separately, but not the Tachometer.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 22:37   #132

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your assistance. I have finally got my sunlight copper K10 Lxi.

I will put up pics as and when I take them.

Thanks again for all your assistance during my selection process...